Share This Page:

Royal Green Jackets

"Be The Best" Discussions about the British Army.
COMBAT WOMBAT

Royal Green Jackets

Post by COMBAT WOMBAT »

I know a couple of men who spent several years in 2 RGJ. The way they talk, the regiment certainly seems to have it's own distinct personality, but they always go on like it the most infantry regiment in the British army. I was wondering from people outside of the regiment what the general feeling was about this particular regiment and why are they sometimes reffered to as the slack jackets or falling plates? be as honest as possible please.
Nothing worth doing is ever easy.
ABI

Post by ABI »

Slack jackets can't say I've heard that one but falling plates is actually a shoot undertaken on the ranges where metal plates are shot down usually as part of a skill at arms compitition. When referring to the RGJ they are known as 'falling plates' due to the number of blokes they have lost in NI.

As for being any good, I've no idea. Never met one in seven years in the army. I know they see themselves as being good, but then don't we all.
COMBAT WOMBAT

Post by COMBAT WOMBAT »

cheers, i thought nobody would reply and your info was stuff i never heard of before, so i learned summit
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Wasn't "Pssst you ain't seen me Ryan" in the Green jackets?
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

ABI, Prior to the Royal Green Jackets having been given the name of the Falling Tiles, that name was also given to the 1st East Anglians during the Radfan. Not really very kind.

Aye - Andy. :drinking:
ABI

Post by ABI »

Andy

Well you learn something new every day.

I think its also an example of the black humour that the forces thrives on, and in some perverse way the falling plates tag is seen as recognition of the number of blokes lost due to the amount of tours undertaken.
may18

Post by may18 »

werent the green jackets the origonal sharpshooters?

and the regiment on which "sharpe" is based on?

hmm ...sean bean in uniform :D
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

may18 wrote:hmm ...sean bean in uniform :D
Calm down woman... you'll be getting a flush if you are not careful!!
I think you might be almost right but there were so many regiments years ago and followed by amalgamations and disbandments that the lineage is very difficult to follow. Unless some historical (or is that hysterical) buff can come along and prove otherwise I'd be inclined to go with you on that.
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
joe

Post by joe »

Prez, "McNab" was in the Green Jackets; "Ryan" came from 23, although had to get into the Paras to ensure he had a parent Regiment I believe.
COMBAT WOMBAT

Post by COMBAT WOMBAT »

The Royal Green Jackets are armoured infantry. They have a unique way of doing things. They developed skirmishing, Introduced the army to the rifle, camouflage and pretty much pioneered all of the modern corner stones of infantry combat. they still retain the gueirilla fighting mentality such as, I hear they tend to carry more ammo than other regiments, and even today take the accepted ways of doing things like ambushes and change things to a more practical way of doing things, such as i was told in an ambush the flare is tripped by the enemy, but in a Jacket ambush the commander holds onto the chord himself so animals or somethnig don't trip it. Anotther thing they are known for is practicality in the extreme. they don't press kit, they just iron: My mate who was in for 5 yrs says he only wore combats for two years strtaight cause all the jackets are interested in are infantry skills, not drill or anything else, just the job, which i why they don't have any colours (regimental flags), and all have their 95 shirts hanging out . 0X
Like i say, they seem pretty impressive to me, but am not so sure what the rest of the army thinks of them.
Sven

Post by Sven »

Apparently along with the Light Infantry, the RGJ have the reputation of being the worst behaved unit in the British Army. :D
COMBAT WOMBAT

Post by COMBAT WOMBAT »

Really? I honestly have never heard of that and sincerely hope it is not true. My mate always said discipline wsa not an issue cause the men were very self-disciplined. However, i would like any ohter comments from people on this issue please. Anyway, when i used to be in the cadets and we met and were taught by regular green Jackets, they never really seemed to me to be ill-disciplined or badly behaved, they always came across as very good at their job and conducted themselves properly.
But it is dissapointing to hear they have a reputation for bad behavior, is this because of their apparently shabby appearance (unpressed kit and shirts hanging out?), or is it to do more with fighting and generally causnig trouble and generally not behaving like adults.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Ahoy there!
Over the years I've met and worked with a few RGJ lads on courses etc. They always seemed OK to me. I couldn't comment on their skills as sharpshooters but they are deadly with a GS shovel!
Last edited by Rogue Chef on Fri 09 May, 2003 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COMBAT WOMBAT

Post by COMBAT WOMBAT »

Rogue chef, i am not sure what you mean when you say they were deadly with a GS shovel. Apart from that, did the RGJ lads seem to know what they were doing? I mean seem professional and sensible? Or kinda lazy?
Sven

Post by Sven »

Hey CW,
I`m certainly not slating their ability as Soldiers - indeed I`ve heard very good things about said Regiment. I mean no disrespect. However, I`ve also heard more than a few stories about pub scuffles, etc.
I bet it`s the same with every unit everywhere, I`ve just heard the RGJ name bandied around when this is mentioned.

Sven