Share This Page:

fitness level

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
the skeavster

fitness level

Post by the skeavster »

I've read in several places that the Para’s training starts off easy (well, easier than what it could be!) and gets progressively more demanding over the weeks as the fitness levels go up, as it should be.

So what sort of fitness level should i be at when it comes to joining so the first couple of weeks are at my current level and i can build up as i go? Obviously running is going to be a major part in the routine, but should I concentrate on doing shorter, sharpish runs, or should I focus mainly on the longer runs? Obviously I need to do both; i was just wondering which was more advisable prior to training.

Cheers

Skeav
that's your favourite!
Tab

Post by Tab »

If you have a check through the threads you will find a number of articles that should cover all your questions on this matter.
Edwards159

Post by Edwards159 »

Get yourself booked on a insight weekend. This will give you a good insight into the fitness levels required. And you'l find out if your Para Material. Plus you'l Learn loads and get loads of advice
Pheonix19

Post by Pheonix19 »

Recently the Parachute Regiment ITC(C) Course has been redesigned from the original 24 week course, to a new 26 week course. This is too give more, and better preparation to the recruits for P-Company. Only 3 platoons have started the new course so far.

What you have heard is correct. The training is progressive. So dont turn up and expect to be doing 10mile tabs within the first couple of weeks, because you wont. If you are at an average fitness level, and able to complete the BFT in under about 9min, along with the MSFT at least Level 10 Shuttle 6, you will be alrite. The first tab, and the first run you can expect to do will only be about 3 mile, and thats in the 2nd week.

Week 1 - Screening Week, will be your first main hurdle to get through. Just about everyone will pass this. Those who dont will simply spend the next 6 weeks in a seperate platoon to improve there fitness level, ready for the next platoon intake.

Training isnt often easy, if at all. Its always challenging. Especially in the first week (where your been assessed most of all), they arnt looking just at fitness, but at mental attitudes, senses of humour, and the rest of it. Some parts of training are equally as hard mentally as they are physically.
Pain is nothing but weakness leaving the body
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

I joined in 1998 when Phase 1 training was at Lichfield. I didn't do any training for it, wrongly assuming that it was all going to be a gradual build-up. Yes, it's a build-up, but you have to be pretty fit when you start, and i could see that everyone else had trained for it.

I noticed that when all the craphats were doing fitness training, they would jog, but we would practically sprint for 3,4 miles or whatever we were doing.

Now they've got the 26 week full course at Catterick, but they'll want you pretty fit as well when you arrive.
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

Also, if you need advice on fitness, you need to a)get advice from this forum somwehere or b)get advice from the Paras' website.

Either way, you need to be very ready. That's why I was out after a month. Because I didn't train.
jay999

Post by jay999 »

yea i dont have first hand experience but I think some sprints will help along with long distance and some plyometric exercises such as hill running this will help build up cardiovascular and obviously train with things like sit ups press ups dorsal raises pull ups etc. Also try some muscle endurance exercises that will always help.
the skeavster

Post by the skeavster »

Cheers lads, i'm getting stuck in as we speak
that's your favourite!