Share This Page:

From reserves to reg's

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
alby

From reserves to reg's

Post by alby »

Hello everyone...happy easter hols!

I wanna know what the situation is with transfering to the regulars once you pass out with the Reserves?
How long would it take and?
Do you need to go through more training or do they simply let you shift into the full time role?
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

In short, pass phase 1 and 2 of RMR RT (around 12 to 16 months), pass both your skills courses (time period varying), put in a chit to do FTRS (full time reserve service) and after a year of that, if on your CO's authority/recomendation and a theres a gap you can fill, then you can transfer to the Regs from the RMR.

May be a few complications added in but it will depends on cirumstances.

Anyone currently serving in the RMR got any more to add? as it may have changed slightly in the 18 months since i left.

dwarfy,
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

I think you have pretty much nailed it there, from what I have learned if you can get on FTRS and fit in, as you mentioned with permission you just blend into your new unit.

I have also heard that some bods crack on with the Cdo course again. Pretty hardcore really
rc

Post by rc »

dwarfy wrote:In short, pass phase 1 and 2 of RMR RT (around 12 to 16 months), pass both your skills courses (time period varying), put in a chit to do FTRS (full time reserve service) and after a year of that, if on your CO's authority/recomendation and a theres a gap you can fill, then you can transfer to the Regs from the RMR.

May be a few complications added in but it will depends on cirumstances.

Anyone currently serving in the RMR got any more to add? as it may have changed slightly in the 18 months since i left.

dwarfy,
Yep that's about right.

As long as you're switched on and fit in well, there shouldn't be a problem.

Rich.
scouse bloke

regs to RMR

Post by scouse bloke »

Hello all, (just registered)

I know its a little old now (sorry), but coincidently, I asked exactly the same Q on Mili Forums. I got the same answers but nobody was completely sure if age would be a problem regarding tranfering from RMR to regs. The general feeling was that it wouldnt be, as long as you are totally qualified; but I'm just curious to read if anyone knows differently?