Share This Page:

WSO application

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

Update:

Ive took the time send off some emails to various RAF stations to try and get a visit as a potential officer. They are as follow's;

RAF Marham - IX (B) Sqn
RAF Waddington - 8 Sqn
RAF Brize Norton - 101 Sqn
RAF Benson - 78 Sqn

Ive chose these for several reasons, mainly because it covers all 3 main aircraft groups (fast jet, rotary and multi engine), they all have had tours in Iraq since 2003 and they all have a variety of roles.

SS - I never did recieve that PM, although im sure your busy so ill let you off. Thanks for the recommendations aswell!

Hyperlithe - I know your based at RAF Waddington so any other information would be a great help also!

Does anyone have any experience of these Sqn's?

Thanks again
Last edited by davidgorjup on Thu 16 Oct, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

What sort of info are you looking for David?

(PS. It's Sqn, not Sqd... :D )
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
sittingstress

Post by sittingstress »

Please accept my apologies for not PMing you David. Should you need any gen then please do get in touch.

Regards

ss

PS If you use the term sqd instead of Sqn again then I shall be forced to berate you in public!

PPS Hyperlithe; sorry didn't quite catch your last. Check heels position (It will be in your FRCs)!
Per Ardua
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Haven't got any FRCs SS, and even if I did, I wouldn't have a pocket to put them in, as I've been in No2 dress (with tie) today for the visit of AVM Hillier.
At least we didn't have to spend the day in No1s!
:lol:
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

Note taken, Sqn it is!

I've had a reply for RAF Benson and they said that their "Familiarization days" are booked via the the AFCO linked to that RAF station, however, they also said that all AFCO should have link's to all Familiarization days that are on offer.

My P2 is in 6 days, not that I'm counting, and I will be coming out with as many notes as I can write, branch specific information sheets and, hopefully, some station visits booked as well!

SS - Apologies accepted. If you have any tips for my application process then I would be extremely grateful!

Hyperlithe - Any information about the work that the WSO do at RAF Waddington that you can divulge would also be greatly helpful!

Many thanks to both of you again
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Think ours mostly make cups of tea...
:lol:
There's lots of stuff with computers, and maps. A WSO will be more helpful I'm sure!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

Well i make a mean cuppa!

And my computer skills are excellent as I'm an IT Technician at the moment
Map reading skills also good from Scouts/D of E

All I need to do now is get past the application process........ :o
kfreckles

Post by kfreckles »

You may find some info about WSO on the student rooms armed forces section - it has many officer applicants on there and ThreePortDrift is an ex Nav with 17 yrs experience. Use the search funtion to find old WSO threads:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=96

There are also a lot of Navs on PPrune:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew-57/
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

Thanks kfreckles,

Ill pop over to those forums and see what I can dig up!
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

Update 2 - post P2 presentation

I had my P2 today from a very regimented Rock Ape officer that had done several tours in the Falklands and Afghanistan to name but a few. You could tell he was a no bull kind of guy. He gave us all the information and answered any question we had to the last detail, exactly what you want from an officer's presentation.

Following that I was given my application from and all the relevant paperwork including branch specific information sheets.

However after reading everything and having a think through it all, I'm considering deferring it for a year or two to retake my A-levels and to get more life experience to improve my chances and make myself more appealing as an Officer.

I'm thinking of taking my Computing and Math's A levels. If not only showing that I have the ability to learn under my own initiative, it shows commitment and motivation.

Would anyone susjest any other subjects apposed to those?

As for the life experience side of things, I'm applying with my local ATC and with a friends outdoor activities company. This should give me enough leadership experience to tick the box.

As ever, any thoughts would be great!

Thanks again.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Also consider some kind of voluntary work, or something along those lines which would benefit the community. You could do the Duke of Edinburgh Gold award at college as well. Anything which shows you as a well-rounded individual, particularly if it demonstrates leadership skills, is a good idea.

The subjects you choose are probably less important than the fact you are actually deciding to further your education, but I would say maths is certainly a good one, as it will help with the aptitude tests. Go for something you are going to find interesting, as it will help on the days when you're asking yourself what the hell you're doing there! I did A levels in French, Maths and Sociology, with a GCSE in Russian and a GNVQ in Business German (just so I didn't lose the German altogether). However I never thought at that time that I would end up joining the RAF... :lol:
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
kfreckles

Post by kfreckles »

I think it's good to better yourself. However, how old will you be when you finish your A-Levels? i.e. how many attempts will you have at applying for WSO before you reach the cut-off age?

You could always apply now - and if unsuccessful, you can reapply in 12 months when you have your feedback from OASC? then do your A-Levels in the meantime?
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

I’m 21 now, 22 in December. Cut off for WSO is 25 which should give me time....

I’m going to go for the filter interview, what have I got to lose?

I’m still looking into re-doing my A levels in Maths and Computing aswell.
I also have a industry qualification in the IT sector with a pass grade of 92% which should show my willingness to learn and to obtain a high standard.

Hyperlithe - I meant to say that the work for the outdoor activities company would be voluntary, so there’s another box ticked.