Share This Page:

RAF reg fitness test - The Dreaded Stich.

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
Norrok

RAF reg fitness test - The Dreaded Stich.

Post by Norrok »

Howdy!

Right, ill get right into it.

I have my three day fitness test coming up on the 5th [well, in theory ill be there 4 days, but the first one is due to travel heh]. So far everything looks fine, I've been trying the best i can for the last few months. But! a slight hic up has invaded my plans.

Able to do the Push Ups - Check
Able to do the sit ups - Check
Able to swim - Heh, check.
Able to do the bleep test - i'd presume so, not understanding to well what a 9.1 is... So lets go with a "maybe check"
Able to run three miles in 24 mins - Argg.. half check?

The running is my problem, within the first 10 mins of my jog i get this side stitch, that only gets worse and worse by the second, normally what i do is slow down/walk for 10 seconds, and get back into it.. But i'm pretty sure that wont fly for the test.

So for the past week I've been running through the stitch, which is pure agony by the time i finish my three miles - we're talking insane pain, as if my side is about to combust!

Little information on my self that might explain these reasons to someone with more knowledge in this field.

[1] I run 2-3 hours after my last meal.
[2] i drink tons of water all day around, but stop drinking in general 30 mins before run.
[3] I smoke, but stop an hour before running.
[4] I'm far from overweight and in my views, far from out of shape.
[5] I have not had a rest day in about three weeks, as apparently running three miles a day doesn't require one.
[6] Been doing doubles - 3 mile jog, 5 min break, 2 mile run.
[7] I don't have any running shoes, so i run in DC's [skateshoes.]
[8] my warm up consists of ...
[a] 10 push ups.
10 crunches
[c] 10 dips
[d] 20 star jumps.
[e] high knee's for 30 seconds.
[f] Foot to ass for 30 seconds [cant remember the name for the life of me]
[g] 1 min walk right before the jog.

Alright, thats basically everything i can think of that might relate to this annoying stitch, Any reply's regarding it would be a life saver.

Personal experience's of such stitches and how you overcame them would also be really thankful.

Cheers!
---Norrok---
timex

Post by timex »

If you are having probs with a stitch as you describe then maybe its a medical problem (too much water being drunk, causing kidney probs)?

WTF are you doing going for a "jog" without a set of trackshoes? Three miles will not really get you into a sweat so you need to up the milage.

As for the probs of running with a stitch, just run through it and don't keep stopping, you should be able to do three miles straight.
Norrok

Post by Norrok »

Cheers dude, and yea - like i said.. i've been running through the stitch all of this week, and was after advice in regards to running through the stitch with out it the immense pain the entire time.

Regarding the running shoes.. indeed - Skate shoes are abit more heavy than your every day running shoes, but moneys tight - ya'know?. Just listed that there as it might have somehow been a reason in regards to my stitch issue.

About the 3 miles not working up a sweat, i guess everyones on a different fitness scale, and 3 miles works a sweat up for me just fine - But im also doing the 3:2 sets to increase my running also :]

The medical problem, i sure hope not - although its a possibility, i'm only drinking around 3 liters of water a day, and pretty much nothing eles.. so its not like i'm drowning my body.

But, to quickly gather what you just said - what your kinda saying is if i continue running the three miles without stopping due to stitches, eventually the stitches will go away?
timex

Post by timex »

Norrok, no worries. What I was saying is that running through the stitch worked for me, their may be others like you.

Perhaps you could try cycling and swimming then get back into your running?
Alfa

Re: RAF reg fitness test - The Dreaded Stich.

Post by Alfa »

Norrok wrote:[5] I have not had a rest day in about three weeks, as apparently running three miles a day doesn't require one.
I'd say that could be your problem. You should always have some rest days to allow your body to recuperate and if you're not allowing that it could be that your body is struggling to deal with the build up of lactic acid.

It's just a thought, but in my opinion it'd be well worth taking a few days off then see if you're still having the same problems.
bushyredsocks

Post by bushyredsocks »

Ok there's afew things this could be linked to. Just do the following:
- Don't drink 3 litres of water per day. 2 litres is plenty and make sure to keep yourself hydrated during the run. Take a water bottle with you and slowly sip water right up to you begin running.
- QUIT SMOKING - its just going to make things ten times more difficult for you in the end.
- Make sure you get afew rest days every week. Maybe one on, one off, one on etc.
- Get yourself a pair of running shoes, seriously. If you turn up to an RAF fitness test in skater shoes you'll be a laughing stock. 15 quid should buy a decent enough pair.
- Do plenty of stretches before running to get the blood flowing freely around your body.
- Try other aerobic exercises such as cycling etc.
- Keep practising and fight through the pain, it'll pay off in the end

Good luck, let us know how it goes
Norrok

Post by Norrok »

Thanks guys for the advice, all of its well noted :)

Regarding the smoking, i reckon ya have a point - wouldn't hurt to quit for a few days to make my life just a lil bit easier :]
timex

Post by timex »

Norrok wrote:Thanks guys for the advice, all of its well noted :)

Regarding the smoking, i reckon ya have a point - wouldn't hurt to quit for a few days to make my life just a lil bit easier :]
I would suggest that you quit ...not just for a few days, at least get through training without coughing your lungs up after every run!
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Norrok: From what I can tell having mused over your posts, the main issue (and problem) is that you're a bit of a plank!

You see, first of all, three miles in 24 mins is not much more than a fast walk FFS! I assume you're a relatively young guy (by that, I mean under 30!)? If so, then you should be able to go a damned site quicker than that. Now true, you're just going for the RAF, which doesn't require high physical standards. But do yourself a favour and get it sorted out.

Smoker? Bin it! It serves no purpose whatsoever. It costs and arm and a leg. It makes you unhealthy. And it holds you back from your goals. Don't just bin it for a few days. It takes longer for that to get rid of the crap out of you body that the smoking has caused!

No running shoes? Who the fark are you? Zola Budd? A bone comment, with a simple fix. The military wants people who can think for themselves. Now would seem to be a good time to start!

Stitch? Give me a break! If it's an issue, get your arse to the doc and get it sorted out. If it's not an issue, run through it and quit whining!

Drinking too much (water) will not bother your kidneys as Dilweed stated. It'll just make you pi$$ lots. An inconvenience at worst. I drink four liters of water a day and it doesn't bother me in the least. While we're on the topic, though. As a smoker, you can much worse than drink lots. It flushes the toxins out of the system. In fact, if you really want to quit, then quit cold turkey and get yourself into the sauna with a big bottle of water for a few times (min 20 mins per day for a few days) and sweat out all of the crap (including Rotten Ronnies, etc.) that you have been busilly stuffing into your face!

Rest? You don't need "a few rest days every week". There ARE only a few days per week, FFS. When the hell would you train? :roll: Start by training three times per week (Mon, Wed, Fri) with rest days on Tues, Thurs, and on the w/e's. Then work up to four (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri) with the w/e off. Then go to five days on, two off. Do it steady and you won't get injured as easily.

Train for need. In other words, if the test is a run, etc., then that's what you should do in your training. Having said that, sprinting and such like will help your aerobic capacity, so it's a good idea to mix it up a bit. One way to do that is to do interval training during your run: Normal pace for three lamp posts then sprint for one, than back to normal pace, etc. Then, next time you go out run at a steady state, but up the pace a bit. Then go back to interval trg, etc. You can only improve!

Do gentle stretching before exercise. But do more extensive stretching avfterwards. It will help to get rid of lactic acid in the muscle tissues (which is also achieved quite effectively by elevating the legs) and it will enable you to stretch further and more completely with less risk of injury due to your leg muscles being warm and therefore more "elastic".
Norrok

Post by Norrok »

phew, well put anglo.

You've given me a lot to think about.

Thanks for taking your time to type that out man.
Skiddywinks

Post by Skiddywinks »

Also worth mentioning is the theory/belief that a stitch is due to the position of your insides. Normally, no problem. But when running, the position and size/shape of your diaphragm, coupled with the position of you hips and pelvis, can cause intense discomfort around the mid section.

Apparently, the cure is simple; pay attention to which foot you land on when you breath out, and swap the footing. e.g. if you land on your right foot when exhaling, shuffle a bit and start running so you land on your left foot when exhaling.

It has helped me a lot, although it does not seem to be a be-all and end-all fix, at least in my experience. Although it certainly helps a lot.

Others have said it has made the issue go away completely.

Other than that, all I can suggest is keep running. It will eventually pass and your body will ignore it from then on. Just don't ask how long it will take!
~Do Not Go Where The Path May Lead, Go Instead Where There Is No Path, And Leave A Trail~
Norrok

Post by Norrok »

quality stuff!

ill give it a go on my next run in an hour :]
RA_Tom

Post by RA_Tom »

Hello,

Definitely get a pair pof running shoes!!
Warm up for a run with a gentle jog. The warm down is more important and when you need to stretch off. I just jog to the start of my run instead of stretch off beofre a run, as thats the norm for army PT sessions.

I used to do the same stretches cold before a run, but since switching to a jog to warm up have had far fewer injuries.

Proper running shoes are a must unless you want to be posting about other injuries! Do the 'wet foot' test or go to a proper running shop for an assesment.

http://www.runnersworld.ltd.uk/foottype.htm

Tom
Norrok

Post by Norrok »

Just about to head out and begin my 4 days of fitness testing :)

i'll report back in 4 days and let ya'll know how it turns out.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Wouldn`t bother if I were you.
No-one gives a shite.
the position and size/shape of your diaphragm, coupled with the position of you hips and pelvis, can cause intense discomfort around the mid section.
Especially when I`m shagging you 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]