Share This Page:

advice for 4 para recruit

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
BABY_PARA

advice for 4 para recruit

Post by BABY_PARA »

I recently passed my ADSC tests for 4 para but only just, I done my 1.5mile in 11 mins but i was passed as a "RISK". I need advice on improving my fitness and fast. the Sgt. from the recruiting team has took a gamble with me and I dont want to fail him. I served in the RLC ten years ago and havent trained much since then. I start CIC catterick in JAN. 2012 and would be greatfull for any help.
UTRINQUE PARATUS
daz89

Re: advice for 4 para recruit

Post by daz89 »

I'm not sure about 4 para particularly but my advice would be to get out there and start banging out the runs.

I improved my time/fitness by doing this:

Monday: 40 min sprint session- jog to park, do 10 football pitch sprints (goal post to goal post), then 10 hill sprints, have a stretch then complete 1.25 mile best effort run home. Obviously you can change this to suit you but really give it you're all on the sprints and the run home. Also add 1 extra sprint every week.

Wednesday: 6 mile run aim for 7 minute mile pace, try and get a hilly route and near the end really push yourself.

Friday: This was just an occasional run I did when I didn’t feel to tired (remember rest days are important you need them to let you're body recover). 2 x 2.4 km on a treadmill, first run set at 12.5 kph, have a minute rest then do the next run best effort (try and set it at 15 kph at least then add to it every time).

Saturday: 3 mile run (first 1.5 mile at a steady pace then best effort for the last 1.5 miles). I normally do 5 'short' hill sprints before this. At the end I would also do a sprint session consisting of 5-10 sprints and chuck in a half mile sprint after them. Really push yourself on these sprints as well mate.

That's what 'running' I've been doing and it has really helped. On rest days I also do boxing and swimming along with lots of bodyweight circuits. Also some days swap the 6 mile run for hill sprints.

Im sure you'll get better advice more specific for the paras from a couple of the users on here mate, my routines more suited for the royal marines. Anyway, good luck :wink:
BABY_PARA

Post by BABY_PARA »

Cheers for the info mate.
UTRINQUE PARATUS
ofens

Post by ofens »

Join a running club, that's a good way to push yourself.
Also interval training is good..
For example run 200m at 100% effort then rest one minute, repeat 8 times...
when you get good at this up it to 300m each time, and so on.

Good luck.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
daz89

Post by daz89 »

How is you're training coming on mate? Have you seen any improvements?
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

STOP!!! dont take fitness advice from younger sweats! judging by your post youve been in before, good egg otherwise the 4para bod would of flicked you away. you say 10yrs ago RLC. im guessing your 30 odd so training is double/triple harder than these spring chicken teens/20's. best way to fitness is give yourself a timeframe i.e 6 month (can be any time tbh) but train infrequently but in general am speed pm medium run. am speed 20min max pm medium run, am speed pm medium run. weekend 10miler. obviously you know your body so chop n change n do what you feel you can do. im 36 im doing 17 milers one hit. but what i will say is this what worked for me as a 20yr old DOESNT work now but im getting very close results!
'Every man an Emperor'