Share This Page:

PRAC,trainasium,sit ups,press ups,1.5 mile run,steeplechase

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
trigger88

PRAC,trainasium,sit ups,press ups,1.5 mile run,steeplechase

Post by trigger88 »

I did a pre-selection for the army at a barracks in bury, on that I did my 1.5 mile run in 9.16, 2 seconds faster than para requirment of 9.18, then on my ADSC in Scotland, penicuik (I think thats what it was called) last week on wednesday 12th August I did it in 8.23, I havent been given a date for PRAC yet as i'm not on the system yet, although they passed me, I got medically deferred because they found signs of an infection in one of my ears, I need to get the all clear from my doctor first then send the results to my recuitment office, hopfully I pass and can get on to doing the PRAC. I have looked on the parachute regiment section on the mod website, and it has a basic layout of the 3 day PRAC. what does the introduction to the trainasium mean? and what is the steepleshase like? My brother was in 1 para A company, but left last year, he is visiting tomorrow I will ask him about the steeplechase, he did it in P company, I imagine it's the same course. He told me I should be looking at doing about 85 sit ups and press ups, and doing 1.5 mile in 7.30 to get a big tick next to my name, if so, this slight set back due to ear infection may prove a god send in disguise. Seriously need to work more on upper body strengh, think my running fitness is 'ok' though. Para's don't let you know how well your doing, only how bad your doing. I am going to be building on my arms and getting my press ups up to scratch, I have heard the 1.5 mile run is preceeded by a 3.5 mile quick paced 'warm up', with little or no rest in between, so to get a good 1.5 mile time I need to practice running a long distance then going hell for leather on the last 1.5 mile, there is a big steep hill near my house, it's a road really but I reckon that'll be reyt usefull in aiding my preparation. Anyone with insight information on the 3 day course, people with experice of doing it would be useful, thank you.
Alarkhertrape

PRACtrainasiumsit upspress ups1 5 mile runsteeplechase

Post by Alarkhertrape »

who told you that push ups were bad? probably if you only did push ups and nothing else as your strength training, then yes, thatd be bad. but theres nothing wrong with incorporating push ups into your training
trigger88

Re: PRACtrainasiumsit upspress ups1 5 mile runsteeplechase

Post by trigger88 »

Alarkhertrape wrote:who told you that push ups were bad? probably if you only did push ups and nothing else as your strength training, then yes, thatd be bad. but theres nothing wrong with incorporating push ups into your training
I think you misunderstood, no one has told me push ups are bad, just I need to improve mine as I am not able to do a large amount. I think push ups and heaves would be my only method of strength training anyway becase I am not a member of a gym, and i'm certainly not going to join one now for a year when I hope to be doing my training if all goes well in half that.
Leyton1990

Post by Leyton1990 »

Pre-Selection
ADSC
PRAC
ITC Catterick
P Company

That the order?
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

Leyton1990 wrote:Pre-Selection
ADSC
PRAC
ITC Catterick
P Company

That the order?
Yes mucker. But you still haven't finshed training after P-Coy. You have to do the final excercise and live firing ranges until you can pass out! (please correct me if I'm wrong) Then it's your jumps, whenever you can fit that in. 8)
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
Leyton1990

Post by Leyton1990 »

Jumps at RAF Brize Norton right? then you earn your wings after 8 successful jumps.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

Leyton1990 wrote:Jumps at RAF Brize Norton right? then you earn your wings after 8 successful jumps.
Yes mate, as far as I'm aware. There are a couple of serving and ex serving members on here who could clarify it though! :wink:
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09