Share This Page:

Fitness Training During Early Weeks of Training

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
gkayesem

Fitness Training During Early Weeks of Training

Post by gkayesem »

Can anybody give me the details of the first couple of weeks or so of fitness training during Basic Training?
tseng

Post by tseng »

SOLID i suspect.
As the first six weeks they will put you through very hard training to break you and also get all the trainees out who arn't really determined and who the instructers think won't be able to hack it. Then after them six weeks it will start to get lighter on you. So at the start of those next six weeks you have the best of the bunch.
gkayesem

Post by gkayesem »

Thanks, but I was after something a bit more specific. :wink:
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

GKayesem wrote:Thanks, but I was after something a bit more specific. :wink:
When you do basic you will be on the move all the time! If you are in barracks its an early start at 5ish, with a run, loads of press-ups, sit-ups the normal stuff. Could be a dress parade after, then its into the learning element e.g. fieldcraft, weapons drill, marching.

Basically they will have you running around all the time... and of course there is BFT and CFT whatever they call it now!

MFAT has never (and never will) say there is definate fitness level that will get you through.... but like anything in life the more you prepare the more likey you won't get caught with your pants down LOL
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Ive done a lot of wieght lifting in the past, but since coming on here Ive taken the advice from you guys to lose a bit wieght, do you think I should keep up the wieght lifting or just do loads of press up/situp/chin up/star jump circuits along with runs and cycles? Still keeping up the rugby though!

Come on Scotland!!! :P

Got a Para Reg insight course coming up soon, does anyone know what to expect on that? :wink:
Wee Willy Winkie

Post by Wee Willy Winkie »

and you think you've got a clue because your a para and PTI and know what your talking about??? :wink: WWW
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
hc00

Post by hc00 »

Wee Willy Winkie wrote:and you think you've got a clue because your a para and PTI and know what your talking about??? :wink: WWW
:lol:

Are you a current or ex pti Sandy?

Also what is the required fitness standard once in the regiment, I was told they regularily asses your fitness when your in thier but the standard I was told they expected of you was low. So low I could possibly achieve it when i'd heard it and I wasn't fit (eventually never tried).
Wo zhu ni jian kang.
gkayesem

Post by gkayesem »

Thanks lads

From what ive heard, the Marines advise you not to train in gyms and instead concentrate on circuit training and endurance. Is this the same for paras?
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Sandy The Guvnor wrote:I love reading the posts of "experts" on para reg fitness, the "experts" who havent got a clue what they are talking about
:oops: Posted on a Para forum, sorry I read it as general fitness. Us hats are too helpful!

I will leave it to my good friend Stewart who knows what he's talking about....
hc00

Post by hc00 »

Sandy The Guvnor wrote:
hc00 wrote:Are you a current or ex pti Sandy?

Also what is the required fitness standard once in the regiment, I was told they regularily asses your fitness when your in thier but the standard I was told they expected of you was low. So low I could possibly achieve it when i'd heard it and I wasn't fit (eventually never tried).

i am a current PARA PTI at ITC, and who told you that rubbish about the fitness levels in a para battalion
An ex para on a fitness/bodybuilding forum

I thought the numbers he'd said were low. But I cant remember then now.

I'll try and remember them and edit this post to include them.
Wo zhu ni jian kang.
jcclimber

fitness

Post by jcclimber »

My recruiter is top notch i.e. No B.S.,just honest advice given from him to me when I got my date to start training for Paras; "We gradually build you up into peak physical conditions. The Paras hit you with the difficult training from the word go."

I'd rather get some work into my physical conditioning over the next month than assume that it wont be hard :)
Wee Willy Winkie

Post by Wee Willy Winkie »

you've done it now Sandy!! you will be the prime source for wannabe para's and their wonderful questions :lol: :lol: :lol: WWW
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"