Share This Page:

Strength training- Machines vs free weights

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
aber_freestyle

Strength training- Machines vs free weights

Post by aber_freestyle »

Hey all

I am in the application process to be an RM officer and I am in need of the forums wisdom....

My training is sticking to what the RM site and this forum has recommended but to increase my strength which is better for circuits; machines or free weights? I am looking for more strength than body weight exercises can offer me. There is no issue with hitting press up and pull up etc targets just looking for that extra bit more.

Any advice?

Cheers, Adam
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

If you're going to weight lift, make sure it's freeweights always. While machine weights do build strength, they dont build the stabilizer muscles that freeweights do. Im sure a body bod will be along shortly to offer their advice.
aber_freestyle

Post by aber_freestyle »

Cheers all. All I need to do now is pay the [rip off] £20 for the free weight induction - blows.

Thanks again
Adam
degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

Personally I dont buy into the idea that you can't train sufficiently enough on your own with free weights without the need for a spotter or machine assisted.After all,it all boils down to making that last rep or not,and if you can't make it then then you can't make it:drop the weight slightly and do it again.

Assuming your sensible enough to not drop a heavy weight onto you by making sure you dont try a rep that you know isn't going to happen,then why do you need a spotter?the action of a spotter should simply to make sure its safe and only apply the slightest pressure to take off a few pounds so you can complete the last rep,not the last 5 reps.I've seen it hundreds of times in the commercial gyms where some guy piles on as much weight as he can on the bench press,knocks out a laboured 3 reps,then his mate grabs the bar for him,and proceeds to help him by shrugging the bar up as he pushes it-jesus christ just take a few kilos off and tell your mate to f@#k off and stop interfering with your exercise. :evil:

bit of a rant but there you go,back to your question though,free-weights and bodyweight exercises are by far the best because they give you stability and develop your core much more,as well as being much more functional.I only ever use machines as a finisher when i've exhausted myself on the free weights and want to burn out at the end of a workout.
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

The noises that these grown men manage to make in the gym when doing said exercises really are cringeworthy. Its like that grunt and those loud gasps are meant to mean " LOOK HOW MUCH OF A MAN I AM" and "MY GENITALS ARE HUGE" lol its pathetic.

(nothing to do with weights just wanted a moan) :oops:
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
803troop

Post by 803troop »

Plyometretrics devlop explosiveness (power), not strength.

If you want to build strength using bodyweight the check out :

http://www.beastskills.com/

Or check out Dominic Lacasse videos on metacafe/youtube etc.

Baz
LostandFound

Post by LostandFound »

Cheers 803troop, I took a quick look at that website and spent half of last night trying to do handstands :o

Seriously though, good website. The resources are out there (www.rosstraining.com and www.rossboxing.com are 2 great examples)
BENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCH!!!!!!!!
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

LostandFound wrote:Cheers 803troop, I took a quick look at that website and spent half of last night trying to do handstands :o

Seriously though, good website. The resources are out there (www.rosstraining.com and www.rossboxing.com are 2 great examples)
Ross training is amazingly good for helping all aspects of fitness, I've been using his stuff for a while now to help mainly with my boxing and along with joining a new and much better boxing gym my training has recently sky rocketed... the gym I'm at is great and everyone is there to better them self at boxing/ help each other , its a real close nit bunch.

As for free weights vs machines... why does it have to be one or the other? Both have there advantages and disadvantages. For me Free weights are superior and I've been using (well i hope) free weights for about 3 years now. they do allow a more natural plain of movement and do work stabilisers more than machine weights but that said there is nothing wrong with machines (though personally I'd steer clear of the smith due to it forcing a sometimes un-natural plain of movement) things like the lat pull down, leg press, cable machines etc. i enjoy bringing into my training from time to time but for me i only use them as a change rather than a long term feture.

I see no problem with weights in any training plan just so long as there done correctly and in proportion to you're goals... don't spend all you're time trying to raise you're dead lift if you're running is crap etc.
Stokey