Share This Page:

RMR question

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Brows

RMR question

Post by Brows »

For anyone who has read my other posts you will know I have applied for a RM commission only to pass POC and fail AIB.
With that I have a few years where I don't know what to do with myself. I'll be asking my ACLO these questions but he hasn't got back to me yet so I thought I may get at least a guideline on here.

I believe you have to sign up (as a marine -no commission) in the RMR for 4 years. What I would like to know is if I signed up would I be able to serve 1-2 years then go for my regulars’ commission as if I was just a civvie. My thoughts are no and I would become a RMR officer if I pass POC and AIB rather than a regulars RM officer.

If it is the case stated above I believe that I heard that you can train with the RMR (phys wise and etc) without actually signing up. Because I would hate to sign up for RMR for 4 years then be stuck in a position where I believe I will pass POC and AIB but will be stuck in my 4 year contract.
If you can train with RMR I’ll probably just end up doing that.

Anyway would love to know anyone’s thoughts on this

Thanks

Brows
RM Commission progress

POC: 04/06/07 -Passed
AIB: 02/07/07 -Fail, needed more life experience

Intend to re-apply after I have gone to university

Read my diaries in the RM archives section THEN PM me if you have a question
hazholmes

Post by hazholmes »

Firstly comiserations on being unsuccessful with your AIB. Haven't read your post on it, no doubt I will after I post this.

With regards to RMR I was training with holding troop at RMR London as extra phys as reccommended by my AFCO. I haven't signed anything but a brief phone call to the unit explaining how/why I was reccommended to get in contact with them and I was soon trainign with HT.

More than likely you will be able to do this, and beleive me the sessions are still a hangout, without signing up for anything. Only drawback being HT is only started in preparation for an upcoming reservist selection weekend. As there is one going on right about now in London you will have to contact your local unit and check their dates. Ther eis one lad at HT with us who is only 16 I think and isn't even in the application process but is contemplating doing POC next year.

Explain to your AFCO and all should be well. Hope this helps.
Harry
rc

Re: RMR question

Post by rc »

Brows wrote:For anyone who has read my other posts you will know I have applied for a RM commission only to pass POC and fail AIB.
With that I have a few years where I don't know what to do with myself. I'll be asking my ACLO these questions but he hasn't got back to me yet so I thought I may get at least a guideline on here.

I believe you have to sign up (as a marine -no commission) in the RMR for 4 years. What I would like to know is if I signed up would I be able to serve 1-2 years then go for my regulars’ commission as if I was just a civvie. My thoughts are no and I would become a RMR officer if I pass POC and AIB rather than a regulars RM officer.

If it is the case stated above I believe that I heard that you can train with the RMR (phys wise and etc) without actually signing up. Because I would hate to sign up for RMR for 4 years then be stuck in a position where I believe I will pass POC and AIB but will be stuck in my 4 year contract.
If you can train with RMR I’ll probably just end up doing that.

Anyway would love to know anyone’s thoughts on this

Thanks

Brows
You can join the RMR and leave at any point before the end of your contract.
Joining the RMR will certainly be of benefit.

Rich.
Brows

Post by Brows »

If that is true (not calling you a liar) that would be perfect for me. Because if i joined the RMR for 1-2 years then went for my commission it would be a big plus.

Many thanks

Brows
RM Commission progress

rc

Post by rc »

Brows wrote:If that is true (not calling you a liar) that would be perfect for me. Because if i joined the RMR for 1-2 years then went for my commission it would be a big plus.

Many thanks

Brows
Yeah, Its' true. :lol:

Many potential YO's do exactly that.

A lad in my troop passed out of RMR training in August. He then began regular YO training the following month. The RMR were aware of his plans froms the outset.

Rich.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Brows,

Sorry to hear of your AIB fail but well done for giving it your best shot, at your age that in itself is something to be congratulated for especially given that you clearly gave a good account of yourself. The Corps would not waste thier time, or yours, by asking you to come back in the future unless they honeslty felt you had the potential after having gained a bit more life experience.

As for the RMR i would certainly recommend it. As has been mentioned above, you will find many YO's who will have been through RMR before starting YO training, often whilst they have been at university. I assume that university is not in your plans as you have not mentioned it?

I am in a similar situation to a few people on this thread by the sounds of things. My aims are to start the process for Officer Selection in a few months time after having swatted up on a few more things, and really cracking on with the phys aswell. In the meantime i am planning on re-joining the RMR for the period in between and will be ringing RMR Bristol this coming week to explain my situation and find out what they think, it sounds hopeful that my hopes of joining the Regs as an Officer should not stop me from going back to the RMR first. I ahve been told the next intake at RMR Bristol is September, which would fit in perfectly.

Right, well best of luck Brows with what you do next and im sure you will use the next couple of years to really add to what you already have to increase your chances on your next application .There are many things out there, job wise and extra curricular that will help you tick the right boxes for when you return for an other shot, and with the RMR you will find out alot about yourself and the Corps, whilst living a little and getting that life experience aswell.

dwarfy,
Brows

Post by Brows »

Thanks

It sounds like RMR is the way forward then; I will be discussing it with my ACLO/AFCO.
University isn't in my plans; I just feel it is not for me. I have never enjoyed school or college therefore I feel it will be a waste of time and money. Had I wanted to end up somewhere else (Doctor Etc) I would go because I would see a point in it. Since I already have the UCAS points I don't see the need.
Anyway it’s just something I don't fancy (even if there will be cracking birds there).

What I’ll be looking to do then is join RMR and get some sort of management job. Hopefully if I get enough money I’ll be able to rent a flat or something. I doubt moving out is essential however it is something I would like to do.

Does anyone know what sort of management job a recently 18 year-old, straight from A levels, with no management experience however many years working in a crappy retail shop can get?
Anyone know what sort of pay I could expect? £12000?

Brows
RM Commission progress