Share This Page:

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
ofens

Post by ofens »

Hi, anyone experienced any problems joining near the upper age limit?
I'm 28, already fit and strong but working hard in preparation.

Am going to give it my best shot no matter what anyone says 8) but interested to know what any of you guys reckon.
LostandFound

Post by LostandFound »

Hello mate

Ive just turned 27 but when I had my first interview at the AFCO and mentioned my age they just told me its absolutely not a problem, no stigma attached etc.

i think the upper age limit is 32, so you're still well within the limits.
BENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCH!!!!!!!!
sammy571819

Post by sammy571819 »

Hi mate, theres a lad in my troop whos 33 and is one of the better blokes there. Granted it might be because he was in the RGJ for 6 years but his age is still not a factor, apart from him being known as grandad!!
Applied : 30th March 2006
Psychometric test: 24th April - PASSED
Interview: 10th May - PASSED
Medical: 10th May - PASSED
PJFT: 28th May - PASSED
RMAD: 12th September - PASSED
PRMC: 9th Jan - PASSED
Rittefski

Post by Rittefski »

It seems silly now but when I was first starting my research and application I had the impression that I would be on the older end of Royal Marine recruits. I had the idea that they recruited mainly 16 to 18 year olds (I'm 20) however it seems that most of the successful recruits from my AFCO are in their early to mid-twenties. I get the feeling that the RMC welcomes older recruits because guys with a bit of life experience are more likely to hack the training and make it to week 32. As long as you are fit and able its probably a bit of an advantage to be a bit older and wiser. Good luck with you application.
The 6 Ps: Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

PRMC: 24th April - PASSED
fodd

Post by fodd »

the average age of lads in my troop was 21-24
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
ChrisBell

Post by ChrisBell »

On my PRMC there was a guy who was 31 was dead fit and passed. Was also good because he was mature and could hold a decent conversation!
fodd

Post by fodd »

chris a good peice of advice is have patience when your down ctc remeber some of the lads in your troop will have come straight from school or college use your wisdom to help them.

ChrisBell

Post by ChrisBell »

fodd wrote:chris a good peice of advice is have patience when your down ctc remeber some of the lads in your troop will have come straight from school or college use your wisdom to help them.
Yes I agree. Didnt mean to sound like all others were knobbers! Im only 22 so im sure some people will get fed up of my stupid nature!!
Richie6899

Post by Richie6899 »

Ofens, the age limit i believe is 33 for a RM recruit.
There were a few guys in their late 20's and two in their early 30's on my prmc, so being the ripe old age of 28 that you are shouldn't matter, as long as your fit enough and its what you want to do, crack on as they say.

Richie
Recruit training- 30th april
offbeatpath

Post by offbeatpath »

We had a guy who was 31 and an absolute MACHINE. He took the piss out of the PRMC (not literally, but it clearly did not trouble him). He ended up getting best PRMC candidate, he was humble and just let his superhuman fitness do the talking. Good luck mate-age does not matter in my opinion
TheWedge

Re: Age

Post by TheWedge »

ofens wrote:Hi, anyone experienced any problems joining near the upper age limit? I'm 28, already fit and strong but working hard in preparation.
Hi mate, I am 28 and half way through recruit training, age is not a problem at all. The hardest part is putting up with immature kids who think the Marines is the cub scouts but they soon get weeded out. Sometimes the younger lads do p you off because they really are just that, young. I have had lots of arguments with other recruits in my troop, but don't take it personally, I would still watch their backs and know deep down they are good lads, they are just learning and sometimes forget where they are.

Our troop is very bickery which is bad in a way, but it creates fierce competition between the recruits which so far has led to a very high standard within the troop. We are starting week 15 with 48 men! A huge troop!. We have only lost 9 guys, the rest are back troopers/hunter bods.
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

The lads down at CTC will understand this the most but its worth saying. The fact is that regardless of age you have to get what needs to be done, done and that means working with people you may not nessaserilly get on with, or even damn well despise in all honesty. You cant get by on your own and have to rely on and also help lads that your the not the best of mates with, but after a while you all realise the importance of having to gel and work together. I left RT fairly early, but even in that time alot of the younger lads had really matured and sensed the realness of what they were doing.Having often been the reasons for the troop messing up and getting beasted they were already becoming switched on and pitching in, so bare with them. As for being older, again it really doesnt matter and as many have pointed out, its often the older Recruits who already have that maturity who do well from the off, and have a part to play in brining the troop together (of course its not always the older ones).

Wedge,

Good effort so far mate, and best of luck with phase two. Sounds like your troop is kind of bottleing things up a tad? But as you say it looks like its having a positive effect so far, still a huge troop at that stage of RT. My troop had a huge bust up after quick cover and a fair amount of anger flew about, but it got it all out in the open and from then on everyone just said what they thought, and just dealt with it and cracked on. Everyone got on better that way.

Dwarfy
Artist

Post by Artist »

Age is not a hinderance. Jeremy Thompson when he was MGRMTRSF at Eastney Barracks in the late 80's was still doing the BFT in less than ten minutes and he was 50 odd years old.

In my day the age limit for joining was 27 though we did have a bloke who had transferred from the Navy in our troop who was I think 30/31 he was a great bloke and never ever had problems come the Phiz side of training but was lethal when you gave him a map and a compass.

Older guys I reckon have an advantage due mainly to their maturity as in they have seen a bit of the real world whilst in my day most of us were 17/18 years old kids not long out of school or college and were still wet behind the ears when it came to the real world.

Artist
tomharto30

Post by tomharto30 »

TheWedge wrote:Hi mate, I am 28 and half way through recruit training, age is not a problem at all. The hardest part is putting up with immature kids who think the Marines is the cub scouts but they soon get weeded out. Sometimes the younger lads do p you off because they really are just that, young..
I don't think thats entiely true, maybe in your troop but certainly not mine, in my opinion you have to be mature to make it into phase 2, otherwise you will fail before that or the training team will bin you on baptist. The oldest guy in our troop is 28 and the youngest is 17 and i can have exactly the same conversation with the exact same amount of maturity with them both, age doesn't make a difference at all, I couldn't tell you how old half the lads are in my troop, because there age doesn't matter.
We are what we do
fodd

Post by fodd »

tomharto30 wrote:
TheWedge wrote:Hi mate, I am 28 and half way through recruit training, age is not a problem at all. The hardest part is putting up with immature kids who think the Marines is the cub scouts but they soon get weeded out. Sometimes the younger lads do p you off because they really are just that, young..
I don't think thats entiely true, maybe in your troop but certainly not mine, in my opinion you have to be mature to make it into phase 2, otherwise you will fail before that or the training team will bin you on baptist. The oldest guy in our troop is 28 and the youngest is 17 and i can have exactly the same conversation with the exact same amount of maturity with them both, age doesn't make a difference at all, I couldn't tell you how old half the lads are in my troop, because there age doesn't matter.
as soon as you go to ctc everyone soon grows up otherwise you end up in alot of pain