Share This Page:

Only if you can handle it!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
AJtothemax

Only if you can handle it!

Post by AJtothemax »

You can attempt this military super-set if you dare - its hard!!!

For those of you that don't know, 'Super-set's' are designed to make your muscles go until 'failure'. This is a great way of increasing your stamina and strength and it works, i have tried it - its hard! Keep going until you either complete the set or you 'fail'. Either way you'tre going to make progress.

Please post back so i can see how everyone got on, i was doing this before i had to have my operation. Thanks.

Repeat this super-set 10 times. Also known as '10 sets of 10'

Good luck!

Normal press-ups - 10

Normal crunches - 10

Wide press-ups - 10

Reverse crunches - 10

Triceps press-ups - 10

Left/right crunches - 10 each side
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

can you do this AJtothemax? looks rather intense, i got my program here, wonder if you could do this?

Its by the navy seals in the US of A, and its a Pyramid program

1 pullup
2 pressups
3 situps
2 dips
2 pullups
4 pressups
6 situps
4 dips
3 pullups
6 pressups
9 situps
6 dips
4 pullups
8 pressups
12 situps
8 dips
5 pullups
10 pressups
15 situps
10 dips
6 pullups
12 pressups
18 situps
12 dips
5 pullups
10 pressups
15 situps
10 dips
4 pullups
8 pressups
12 situps
8 dips
3 pullups
6 pressups
9 situps
6 dips
2 pullups
4 pressups
6 situps
4 dips
1 negative pullup
2 pressups
3 situps
1 dip
1 negative dip

Then your 3 miler run. Now i can do that, with all marine pullups and marine pressups etc.

Can you do that, ive been doing it for a few years now :lol: works a treat trust me! Strongest upperbody in my TA platoon because of it. Give it a go, or build up to level 6 (e.g working up to 6 pullups)

i started it on level 3, so up to 3 pullups and back down. When i first went for the marines i could get up to level 7 when i was 15 but i kept letting it slip.

Hope this helps afew people with a good idea fora workout

RGJ-Rifleman
Joined the Corps as a recruit in 2007, Still in today :D
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Yeah i've heard of that, used to do them at the gym. 8) Mate that training looks s*** hot! Can't wait to give that a go when i got back on my feet again! You're on! I probably can't do it now but i will be able to eventually, i've saved that routine on my p.c.

You're definately on for that!

Can't wait to have a crack at that, i know i'll probabaly fail but i'll keep it up until i can do it flat out.

I'll give you another one now - this is an amazing test of strength when press-ups are concerned and i do believe youd have to be or marine standerd to do this, but you can have a crack at this: :lol: Take a deck of cards, then draw a card e.g. 10 of clubs - do 10 press-ups. The same follows for every suite, the number represents the amount of press-ups.

Go through the whole deck.

Give that a go!
AJ

darrenrugby18

Post by darrenrugby18 »

Now sure what you mean about the levels, the routine looks awesome though, can you explain the levels again?
CTCRM - 935 Troop
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Darren I think he means e.g.

1 pullup
2 pressups
3 situps
2 dips

2 pullup
4 pressups
6 situps
4 dips

and then back down again in reverse order. I think that would mean if i did that that i would be on 'level 2'. I've done pyramid training before but never classed 'level's' but thats just part of this training routine. I'm sure thats what it means though darren.
AJ

ali_hire

Post by ali_hire »

AJtothemax wrote:I'll give you another one now - this is an amazing test of strength when press-ups are concerned and i do believe youd have to be or marine standerd to do this, but you can have a crack at this: :lol: Take a deck of cards, then draw a card e.g. 10 of clubs - do 10 press-ups. The same follows for every suite, the number represents the amount of press-ups.

Give that a go!
364 press ups?! :o Is there any rest in between?
Aways look on the bright side of life.
Greg The Great

Re: Only if you can handle it!

Post by Greg The Great »

AJtothemax wrote: Reverse crunches - 10
Looks good bud but what are reverse crunches?

Greg.
Never chop wood in a rubber dinghy.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

ali_hire wrote:
AJtothemax wrote:I'll give you another one now - this is an amazing test of strength when press-ups are concerned and i do believe youd have to be or marine standerd to do this, but you can have a crack at this: :lol: Take a deck of cards, then draw a card e.g. 10 of clubs - do 10 press-ups. The same follows for every suite, the number represents the amount of press-ups.

Give that a go!
Im pretty sure he's not got the full instructions in there. Other wise you'd simply do X pressups, draw a card and do its X pressups. Kinda pointless really pulling the cards out.
SP

The line between BS and PC is thin and blurry
KiloAlpha

Post by KiloAlpha »

Greg.
Basically the opposite of crunches, from the laying down position instead of curling the upper body towards your knees you curl your pelvis and legs towards the shoulders.
934 Troop

http://img403.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img403/295/1167174702sk2.smil
Greg The Great

Post by Greg The Great »

KiloAlpha wrote:

Greg.
Basically the opposite of crunches, from the laying down position instead of curling the upper body towards your knees you curl your pelvis and legs towards the shoulders.
Ah, leg raises. I do these, gives me a bad back though....
Greg The Great

Post by Greg The Great »

For abs, try this...

As many situps as possible in 2 minutes,
50 reverse crunches,
50 situps,
50 reverse crunches,
50 situps,
50 reverse crunches.

No rest.

Works a treat!

Greg.
ben1

Post by ben1 »

Spooky wrote:
ali_hire wrote:

Give that a go!
Im pretty sure he's not got the full instructions in there. Other wise you'd simply do X pressups, draw a card and do its X pressups. Kinda pointless really pulling the cards out.
yeah your right there mate, I do this with my mate when he's back at home what we do is 4 different excersizes for each card but whatever card you pick out we double up on it because if its a low card theres no point in doing 1 press up for example, normally we do 3 of the cards you stick to and then the 4th suite would be something made up, like we did some sprints across the top of a railway bridge, firemans carrying, squats with your partner on your back, but obviously whatever the number comes out is determining how many you do! hope that helps the correct answer but yeah its very good training I think, I enjoy doing it and its a bit different than sticking to one thing!
Never Quit-Quitting is for those who are not serious about achieveing their goals.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Oh yeah, definately mate. Its got to do with improving, but its more on the 'creative' side of things. Just helps stop boredom when training. Hard though. And in answer to ali's question, no there is not meant to be any rest inbetween, more of the 'failure' side of things. What i mean by failure is - you go until your muscles cannot go anymore :D

Also, have any of you been trying what i originally posted?? Its designed to help you improve your press-ups. The crunches are just an add on.
AJ

rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

AJtothemax, did you try out my pyramid? id so how did you do mate?

RGJ-Rifleman

p.s KiloAlpha, :o 7:20 i bet your confidence is high for PRMC on the 10th October, best of luck mate!!!
Joined the Corps as a recruit in 2007, Still in today :D
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

No sorry mate i haven't done that but i am definately going to!

The reason why i havent is because i am just getting over surgery and i don't want to attempt anything that could possibly cause me injury or attempt anything because my performace could be not up to scratch as opposed to if my legs were completely healed. It might sound stupid but i have learned from the past that the more you try and push yourself through an injury - the worse it can become! So im just not going to even bother doing anything strenuous until it is ok for me to do so.

When i do i will post it my resluts and how i found it on here. Don't get me wrong here though, i will do it.

Good luck to you and to everyone else going on the PRMC & POC this year. I wish you all the best and i hope you all make it.
AJ