Share This Page:

Hollywood Troop

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Tugg

Hollywood Troop

Post by Tugg »

We had rumours of this back when i was in training, i think they went through with it a couple of times but dont think it ever went on t.v. etc.

Dont you think its a bit of a bite when some random civvy (who cant even iron his rig for that matter-seen him on my mortars course) is allowed to follow the troop round like a sheep and film whatever he likes?

Yes theres the arguement that this is a good thing and maybe an eye-opener for blokes thinking of joining, but mainly i think its a bloody disgrace because the training team arent gonna be able to get away with all their little 'perks' that evolve you into a Royal Marine.
Yes they may have the extra thrashing thrown in for show purposes, but what about all the crap former recruits had to go through that youll miss out on because of all the new 'policies and human rights rules' hell be keeping an eye on!?
Just my opinion, be glad to hear of others :-?
TUGG
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

Im glad im not in hollywood troop. They must be under a hell of a lot of pressure to perform well in front of the cameras. As for people filming it p*sses me off more when i tell people im in training and they start chatting about bad lads army :evil:
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Tugg,

Got to agree with you there, with all the press of late regarding "bullying" and all the other rubbish the press print (and the public believe, don't understand and are then shocked at), i can't see the training team being able to take any chances at all. I think it's a shame, as some of stuff they may omit is part of training, part of what makes it RM training. However i,m sure this troop won't have things any easier, the camera's cant be on 24/7.

I guess they,ll just have super super fun, when the camera's aren,t around. :lol:
mitch_boxing

re

Post by mitch_boxing »

I'd love to be in this Hollywood Troop, good chance to be on T.V :lol: . Would be a lot of pressure on the troop though, and I wouldn't wanna fail on T.V, that would be tremendously embarrising. :lol: .

Mitch
Tugg

Post by Tugg »

Fair one Dwarfy, still....

don't think its right though.I sort of liked the fact that Marines were more unheard of to the general public, more elite/special.
Everywhere you go you see an 'Army this' or 'Army that' banner on the side of a bus or whatever (not criticizin, its how it is)
Its not mainly the publicising etc. though, the cameras at lympstone is just plainly wrong
TUGG
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Yeah i see what you mean Tugg, but with the way the media is these day's the Royal Marines won't stay out of the spotlight as they are most likely going to be involved in any crisis that comes up. Just think of the coverage for example of Op Telic 1, it was 24/7, on news channels all day, they had reporters imbeded with 42, they went on Ops left right and centre, and it was widely seen on TV at any time of the day. Coverage of War is just so different now, to say the Falklands. When people see all this, they want to see more, know more and so on, and then there is the demand for it. The SBS are far more widely known by the public than they used to be aswell. I guess it just has to be accepted, but i agree the sort of 'mystery' if you want to call it that, will unfortunately dissapear.
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Tugg wrote:Fair one Dwarfy, still....

don't think its right though.I sort of liked the fact that Marines were more unheard of to the general public, more elite/special.
Everywhere you go you see an 'Army this' or 'Army that' banner on the side of a bus or whatever (not criticizin, its how it is)
Its not mainly the publicising etc. though, the cameras at lympstone is just plainly wrong
Tugg

I don't think it's a bad thing as long as it's not interferring with the training team or the recuits are being thrashed for being rats9ite in front of the camaras, that is hardly fair :wink:

But look on the bright side, the way things stand at the moment there are a lot of ant-mob people out there with the Iraq war and showing guys training hard proves they are committed to the cause and well as hopefully bettering themselves for the future :lol:

Marine and Paras training is notoriously hard and therefore will always be the focus of TV camaras, don't forge the positive message it also sends out to possible recuits!
speedfreak

Post by speedfreak »

Were getting more thrashings than a normal troop would but not HUGELY more. The troop is down to about 37 in number now. Obviously the troop is being filmed so our training team want us to be shit hot, were generally doing things about 2 weeks earlier than the troops ahead of us are. The camera man is a freelance camera man, he did the series "shipmates" that was on BBC1 last year about the royal navy, he does most of the phys with us and he's a really nice guy.

He's told me he's basically gonna show recruit training for what it is, the high points and low points.
924 Hollywood Troop.
Tugg

Post by Tugg »

mfat_man wrote:Tugg

Marine and Paras training is notoriously hard and therefore will always be the focus of TV camaras, don't forge the positive message it also sends out to possible recuits!
Oh aye dont worry mate, I did actually mention that point i think earlier in the blog. As in yes, good for promotional purposes etc. and possibly urging more young lads to join, i cant deny that and its what we need so fair one.
But you also cant deny the negative factors, i.e. that troop missing out on what actually makes a bootneck and perhaps becoming a 'cotton-wool' troop (which is a phrase used by nods slating another troop, like one that is allowed DUVETS in training WTF!!) but thats a different issue :-? dont get me started :lol: hehe
I know its not the end of the world and there is actually plus signs to this, but imagine BBC filming SAS/SBS selection and making a prog. out of it! lol
I know its hardly the same but can you see where im coming from?
TUGG
Tugg

Post by Tugg »

Oh and Speedfreak,

I do know that every Trng Team is different and they end up getting the job done etc. just have a few points to make, if you look above.

P.S. Good effort to the civvy bloke crackin it, i spotted him when i was on course, looked like a right-old raggedy fella hehe fair dues though

(Tell him to iron his bloody rig aswell :lol: seriously hehe)
TUGG
Sonne

Post by Sonne »

If it's the same people who did Shipmates then i'm all for it. The BBC have a pretty good record for fair and friendly documentaries depicting life in the armed forces.

I can thik of possibly half a dozen people who were moved to apply for the forces beacause of documentaries like this.

Lets just hope they don't interfere wit hthe lads too much ;)

Sonne
Noble and manly music invigorates the spirit, strengthens the wavering man, and incites him to great and worthy deeds - Homer
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Tugg wrote:
mfat_man wrote:Tugg

Oh aye dont worry mate, I did actually mention that point i think earlier in the blog. As in yes, good for promotional purposes etc. and possibly urging more young lads to join, i cant deny that and its what we need so fair one.

I know its not the end of the world and there is actually plus signs to this, but imagine BBC filming SAS/SBS selection and making a prog. out of it! lol I know its hardly the same but can you see where im coming from?
Yes, and all the tourists taking photos on the Brecons of Selection :cry: I think they moved it now. Anyway there was "SAS - Tough Enough?" which was a really good series :lol: and a good friend of mine ex SASR was really impressed so much I had to send him the series on tape! :wink:
Tugg

Post by Tugg »

Yes but come on, not mocking his taste but they let women on that show! :-?

I have just realized i use this face too much :-?
Hope the wind doesnt change :)
TUGG
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Tugg wrote:Yes but come on, not mocking his taste but they let women on that show! :-?

I have just realized i use this face too much :-?
Hope the wind doesnt change :)
:oops: I am sue the female members of SSR send their regards :o

LOL :lol:

Can't speak for myself having been beaten into the ground by female runners. swimmers, traithletes <doh>
Tugg

Post by Tugg »

But i mean women arent allowed to join infantry, let alone SF which the prog. was based on :wink:
Hey....i wouldnt mind a tad of eye candy on the front line, it aint my rules :lol:

(no women actually read this,right?) :lol:
TUGG