Share This Page:

Motivation

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Jhallam2005

Motivation

Post by Jhallam2005 »

Hey,

I have not been at work for alil while due to joining the RM, but I feel I should of stayed at work...some days I feel so un-motivated.

Im very confident and motivated in most aspects of my life but just recently Ive been slacking etc

just would like to know some of your thoughts and how you 'think' to come over such things?
Bliartheliar

Post by Bliartheliar »

You might just be getting lazy mate. I finished work about 2 weeks ago because im off to uni at the weekend, and all im doing all day is lying around drinking coffe and watching day time tele. Im used to getting up early, but I juts cant be bothered lately. I think its basically just a lack of energy in the moring. Not doing anything, so im not building up an appetite and eating less, so ive got less energy to do things and simply cant be arsed. Though ive been going for runs at 11pm when I can finally be bothered to do something.
Bliartheliar

Post by Bliartheliar »

You might just be getting lazy mate. I finished work about 2 weeks ago because im off to uni at the weekend, and all im doing all day is lying around drinking coffe and watching day time tele. Im used to getting up early, but I juts cant be bothered lately. I think its basically just a lack of energy in the moring. Not doing anything, so im not building up an appetite and eating less, so ive got less energy to do things and simply cant be arsed. Though ive been going for runs at 11pm when I can finally be bothered to do something. Just try and do something in the morning to build up your apetite -go for a walk- , have a nice dinner and you should be sorted for the rest of the day.
WestSide-Dawg

Post by WestSide-Dawg »

We all do it but you just gotta get on the floor and do some pressups, then you'll realise what a joy it is to do some hard painful training :wink:

Seriously though, find a training buddy who has the same target as you or get a freind to make you feel extra guilty about not training (girlfriends work best though :D ). Support goes along way.

Sometimes all you have to do is start doing a little exercise when you cant be arsed, then you may decide to push yaself harder.

Well, works with me anyway

Post by Guest »

Listening to Music always helped me :wink:
Which reminds me, I can't remember the last time i had a shower. :oops:
KiwiBen

Post by KiwiBen »

What an enlightenment Stinky :evil: I really do not care how often you showered or how often you remember said shower.

Yes chaps I have the same problem with motivation sometimes.
I look at my goal, the respected Green Lid. I know PRMC and training is absolutely nails, so I always say to myself "If I don't go and use the time I have got to train in, I'll be letting myself down later" it's true and I feel that with my current level of strength and fitness, I'll need a very strong mind and a lot of luck to get through PRMC let alone training. But all things are possible!

Another case of a reasonable thread completely hijacked by this idiot. Stinky just p*ss off and leave these usefull threads alone!
give a man a bullet, he'll ask you for a gun.
Give a man a gun, he'll be giving away the bullets
Artist

Post by Artist »

Kiwiben

Just ignore the pillock. I know it's hard but the sad gett seems to thrive on being an A1 PLANK!

As for Motivation. Someone coming from New Zealand just to do the PRMC thingy seems to me to be very well Motivated. Hope you crack it and if you need any advice just PM me. The advice may be out of date mind! :D

Artist
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

Benjo, Whats your story do you live in UK have u a british passport, or are you particularly coming from NZ to join RM,

Im a dual citizen with South Africa/Britain.
i have to give up South African Citizenship, do you have to do that?
When id your PRMC and what are your scores.

As for motivation, they say the hardest part of running and training is actually leaving the house...very true.
First bit of advice...if you have a Playstation get rid of it, i had to, cos it kept destracting me from training etc!

Secondly if your bored during the day why dont you go out and play a round of golf or something, something to get you out before winter sets in and you cant do anything during the day.

Whilst training, listen to music, it helps so much! Especially that song from blade, its 9.45 mins long and doing a 1.5 mile run, try fininshing it before song ends i didnt :( i did it in 10.02 mins.

Good Luck lads.
Dan
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
flo

Post by flo »

Motivation is simple, you eliminate those who are not motivated, it helps you as a person grow stronger. The inner thought coming from the heart represents the real motives and desires. They are the cause of action!!!!
If you want something bad enough you WILL find the way.

But i do work my motivation around TRISHA :lol:
slaphead_17

Post by slaphead_17 »

Flo wrote,
Motivation is simple, you eliminate those who are not motivated, it helps you as a person grow stronger.

that’s real interesting that, because recently I’v not been doing nearly as much training as I should and now your making me think its something to do with the friends that I’ve been hanging around with recently none of them have any motivation for anything, and now i think that’s what’s brought my motivation down. (huh :-? i didn’t even think of that) THANKS
flo

Post by flo »

no probs, but its a true fact, especially if you are training for something and your mates are giving it large down the pub and giving you grief because you are not there. Ask yourself, 'What do you do?' my guess would be you go of down the pub so as not to offend your mates. But then that leaves the big question, follower or leader! I think i know which i would rather be...............Kick them into touch, if they were true friends they would support you and understand why you cant be with them 24/7.
Good luck now get out for a run.

Auntie fiona says so. :wink:

Oh and change your profile
useless bum
never put yourself down, there are plenty in this world who will do that for you.

HAVENT YOU GOT YOUR RUNNING SHOES ON YET........................
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

I can share with you my thoughts on the matter. At the moment I'm currently unemployed training for my POC and you can lose touch looking way down the line at the green lid, you really just have to take each day as it comes.

I have a training diary that I write everything down in and I just imagine everyday I train and have a necessary rest is like a brick and that I'm trying to build a big wall and you wouldn't want to have a hole in that wall.

Another thing I plan on doing when I fininsh my POC is to have a proper stab at boxing. I found this pro gym that opens at ten o'clock, so I'm going to do it Rocky style. This will involve waking up early, running, eating, getting the bus to the gym, training for two hours, coming home, eating and then working in a I'M A SCAMMER SPAMMER!!! for the rest of the day, going home at night and repeating this cycle pretty much everyday until I go into basic training. Doing this would require extra motivation so I'm planning on buying some big posters for my bedroom of Bruce Lee, who's basically one of my idols, and Muhammed Ali, every morning I'll have these guys staring at me so I think I won't have any choice not to get up. There's also a poster I found that has a picture of a runner on it and it says 'winners' 'while others dream of glory, winners are out working hard for it' I thought I'd buy that one as well.

As far as friends go mine are good they even joke about me being in 'assault mode.' You do though have the occasional person, who is an aquaintance you bump into who doesn't understand why your drinking cordial on a saturday night, these people who just criticise it are frankly losers and I wouldn't want to be around them.

I always have in the back of my mind the long term plan of getting the green lid or standing over a pongo that I have just given three rounds of pain to but I do think the short term goals or motivations are equally as important or even more important.
flo

Post by flo »

good effort,

Remember if your obstacles bring you down then let your determination bring you back up.

Get your mates together and sit them down and make them listen to your plans, who knows you may even motivate them, either into helping you or even better helping themselves.
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Motivation doesnt help me train, guilt does.
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

flo wrote:no probs, but its a true fact, especially if you are training for something and your mates are giving it large down the pub and giving you grief because you are not there. Ask yourself, 'What do you do?' my guess would be you go of down the pub so as not to offend your mates.
That's so true! I haven't even told my mates I want to join the Royal Marines yet because I know what their reaction will be. They'll definitely laugh and say I'll never make it or whatever, and I just don't need that - not because I can't handle it, but because I know it means nothing coming from them and I can't be arsed arguing. They work in offices or go to uni and generally bum around all week until the pub, then see how drunk they can get! Woohoo, wish I had their lives......

I was talking to one of my mates the other day and he said I'll never make it in the Navy (that's what they think I want to do, technically true.. :wink:) and I just thought, "hang on, you're the lazy one with 3 stone of blubber hanging over your belt, who the hell are you to say I won't make it??!" It's sad really, wish I had fit mates!

As for motivation, I look forward to training now and these rest days are sooo boring! I did spend ages looking at all the photos on the RM website yesterday though, that always helps. :D