Share This Page:

Sandhurst! - Oh how lovely!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Stix@CTC

Sandhurst! - Oh how lovely!

Post by Stix@CTC »

Imagine the scene (posh voices - Windsor accent) :wink:

Nephew Harry: Uncle, do you think I am doing the right thing by joining Sandhurst?

Uncle Andrew: Yes, most definatly. You're more likely to have a long succesful career there than anywhere else in Mums Malitia.

Nephew Harry:Really, do you think so?

Uncle Andrew: Gosh yes. I only went to those ruffy tuffys at Lympstone because I was told they gave out free theatrical face paint.

Nephew Harry:Why did you leave then?

Uncle Andrew:It was all one colour - Brown - and the rotters put sand in my Vaseline :o
It's not how many posts you have made......It's the quality of what you say when you get here.[img]http://www.theheskins.eclipse.co.uk/drum2.gif[/img]
speed freek

Post by speed freek »

hehe i do think after (edit) Edward the royal family should send another one along and complete the course this time, Maybe William ?
Last edited by speed freek on Sun 08 May, 2005 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitch1985

Post by mitch1985 »

was andrew the one who attempted royal marine basica training, but dropped out after ?? cause he found it ...a bit too hard
speed freek

Post by speed freek »

oh yeah it was Edward wasnt it lol.

by the way i wasn't slagging him off, Just saying because he didn't make it (for whatever reason) i think it'll be good to have a member of the royal family in the royal marines.
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

owdun wrote:Easy to slag off people who cannot answer back, the fleet street rags have been doing it for years.
Owdun :evil:
For those who don't regognise humour when they see it,

I was at CTC when he was there and IMHO he actually had it harder than everyone else, because he was under everyone's beedy eye all of the time. Others could afford to slack off a little because the limelight was not on them. He of course had the hardest thing to do when he left Lympstone- face his Father!!

Anyway, anyone who drops out is fair game for a leg pull so I'm not singling him out.

Remember - 99% need not apply (how crap is that advert!)
It's not how many posts you have made......It's the quality of what you say when you get here.[img]http://www.theheskins.eclipse.co.uk/drum2.gif[/img]
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

HRH The Prince Charles passed his All Arms Cse. He earned the Green Lid that he wears sometimes.
HRH The Prince Andrew failed his All Arms Cse. He wears an honourary Green Lid.
HRH The Prince Edward should not have started something he couldn`t finish.
Next time a member of the House Of Windsor graces us with his prescence, he should remember what he is there for. CTC is not a photo-opportunity for the Sun. They owe us one and it`s a shame that young Harry is going to Sandhurst.
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

harry hackedoff wrote: They owe us one and it`s a shame that young Harry is going to Sandhurst.
Here, here!!

Well said Kobber!
Doc

Post by Doc »

Stix@CTC wrote:Well said Kobber!
right whos pinched the n's????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Remember - 99% need not apply (how crap is that advert!)
It's probably quite near the truth. About 99% of those thinking about joining had better think again.

If you have an issue with something StixDos@GateBarrierSentry it behoves you to offer an alternative.

"We am hard see!" Doesn't quite cut it does it? :wink:
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

We're getting slightly off topic here but as you asked......

I have long thought that all the money spent on these recruiting adverts is wasted. They're just too subtle.

They all seem centered on training and on CTC. Well here's a shock for all those that pray in the direction of the Endurance course each morning

Lympstone is NOT the centre of the Universe

CTC is just a springboard. The Units are what the Corps is really all about. There are people at CTC who have been there far too long and think that it is more important than the rest of the Corps.

Most of us remember what made us join up. Me, it was watching The Ark come into harbour in Hong Kong on telly with a Guard and Band on the flight deck. I'll have some of that I thought!! For others it may have been watching Pussers band on a visit to their local school or the unarmed combat display at the Royal Tournament.

What I'm saying is, show the ships detachment at work on the new LPD's, show the lads doing a bit of R&R in some foriegn sunny spot, and then coming home to to wives and girlfriends. You could even show them in N.I. with a green lid on winning hearts and minds. Thats what the Corps is really all about. It would save a fortune employing a company of civvie advertising agents that haven't got a clue.

The band service had the same problem years ago - they all thought that Deal was more important than anywhere else. Well they sorted that didn't they - they closed it down!! (Thank God - it was a s**t hole)
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

I've always thought of ITCRM as 'home'. Mad as it may seem. I experienced some of life's greatest highs and lows there. Learned from experts, and retained some of it until I got to 41 and had it pounded into me again.
It has always been regarded as full of time servers and people who would not know a unit from a congregation; but the instructors are second to none, and do what it says on the tin.
They produce the 'product' the lads who go out to the units and become the Corps. They may not be liked or loved, they don't get paid to be adored. Respected yes, certainly.
If it wasn't for the quality of the teaching at CTC then Royal would have lost many more of those lads doing 'hearts and minds' in NI and wandering the side alleys of the Euphrates with such confidence and skill.
It's not an easy job. Constricted as they are these days by H&S rules which must stick in their gullets; but they still train young keen lads to do a job which is the envy of every other arm.
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

El Prez - I totally agree with you (you weren't E Coy were you?? :x )

But thats not what I was on about.

If you see an ad on the telly for the Royal Navy you see a Frigate in the Windies. An ad for the RAF would show a Tornado doing Mach 19 over some sheep in Scotland at about 30ft.

There is nothing wrong with the training at CTC. Its the way the Corps is represented in and by the Media that is wrong.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Apart from one or two excellant t.v. series(Behind The Lines if you can remember it) the Corps` use of the media has been dismally poor. What`s wrong with singing the praises in the media? Particularly in today`s climate of defence cuts.

Rob
"We am hard see!"
shouldn`t that be "Come and have a go if you think you`re hard enough" or " Cum ed lar, avago if yer fukinard enuff" as you Scousers are fond of saying :P

Wasn`t Echo full of Taffs btw :-?
Stix@, give us the heads up on the Dutchy saga, I`d far sooner talk about that than the other royals(small "r" intentional) 8)
Rotary Booty

Post by Rotary Booty »

Harry

I was somewhat surprised to learn that Prince Charles had completed the All Arms Commando Course, and was entitled to wear the Green Beret!

It would appear that, if it did happen, it was of no importance as it is not mentioned in his list of military achievements on numerous 'Prince Charles' web sites.

I was under the impression that none of the Royal Family, including our Captain General, had earned the Green Beret.

When did Charles achieve this?

Shoot me down if you wish! :lol:

By the way, did that Capt Pip Whatsername, who eventually completed the All Arms Commando Course ever serve in 3 Commando Brigade as this was the purpose of completing the course? :-?

Derek