Share This Page:

Background Reading

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Nemo

Background Reading

Post by Nemo »

Anyone know of any good books or vids that detail the history and current operations involving the marines?

I'm still in the early stages of my application, but reading other sources would be good...

Any suggestions? 8)
Initial Inquiry - 15th July
BARB Test (Score of 55) - 4th August
Waiting Medical Clearence...
davo141

Post by davo141 »

"A brief history of the Royal Marines"

we where issued it after PRMC completion and has every major date in the corps history, founding, reformations, name changes, battles, battle honours...

good read, brain turning remembering it all.!
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
FozzyNumber4

Post by FozzyNumber4 »

I'm reading Richard Brooks' "History of the Royal Marines". It can be quite tough going in the first half of the book but it gets better as the book goes on and gives you a good feel for what the history actually means which raw dates cannot do. Some of the anecdotes are great reading.

7 out of 10 from me, but I haven't read any other histories to compare it to yet.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Julian Thompsons 'Royal Marines: From Sea Soldiers to a Special Force' is a good read. A tad comprehensive but tells you every little detail about Royal's shenanigans since formation.
- Cobalt

"It's always funny until someone gets hurt - then it's hilarious"
Styles

Post by Styles »

"The Making Of A Royal Marine Commando" by Nigal Foster is a really good read. I found it very useful in getting an insight into the Corps as well as some of their modern history so this book come Highly recomended. Their is also a video you can get from HMV of all places on the History of the Royal Mariners as introduced by Phill the Greek. exceptional value at only £3.99, so again well worth getting hold of!
"We will bite them, on the feaches"
davo141

Post by davo141 »

I got the above two for a fiver off amazon second hand, one was pristine one was a little tatty but both great books!
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
BigJimmy

Post by BigJimmy »

Theres a good video they have in poundstretcher. I cant for the life of me remember what the name is but its the only RM video there. Its very informative and interesting so go have a look! They sell a load of military vids like the hisory of the Ghurkas and the SAS, all great vids and it even has a foreword by HRH Prince Phillip.
PJFT - PASS!!!!!!! (But only just!)
PRMC - PASS (19th - 22nd April)!!!!!!! (No more shin splints!!!)
CTC here I come on the 6th sept!!!!!!!!
Styles

Post by Styles »

Yes Thats the video I was on about with HRH Prince Phillip aka Phill the Greek, Good in depth look at their history, well worth watching!!
"We will bite them, on the feaches"
Jamie T

Post by Jamie T »

My dad found a pretty decent book by Peter Harclerode and David Reynolds called "Commando". It's an illustrated history of the Royals from Dieppe to Afghanistan. It's quite thick, about 270 pages. Lots of first hand accounts of wars and missions.

cheers

-Jamie-
Relax ; Nothing is under control
PJFT - 9:16