Share This Page:

Pressups - Count?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
james_m

Pressups - Count?

Post by james_m »

Sorry if this has been answered, I did search but could not find anything!

I needed to know on PRMC, when doing pressups, when does the pressup count stop? I know you have two minutes but what if you put your knee down, say after 1 minute can you still carry on or is that the end of the count?

Thanks
James_m
Jordiman

Post by Jordiman »

It stops when a PTI tells you to stop.

Normally after 120 seconds, when you put your knee down, or when your elbows stick out too much after having about 20 deducted you will be told to F***ing stand up.

Also if you just hold the pressup position (sort of resting arms straight) you might to told to stand up.

Its best to maintain 1 Press up every second so you have plenty time to make sure those elbows are in and chest touches partners fist (Oh kinky :wink: ).
Passed PRMC 17th December 2003

Started Basic 5th July 2004 880 Troop, Jan 2005 886 Troop, June 2005 893 Troop, July 2005 895 Troop

Got MD 3rd November 2005

Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
james_m

Post by james_m »

So if you put your knee down, that is the end and you cannot carry on?

Cheers
James_m
COMBAT WOMBAT

Post by COMBAT WOMBAT »

When i train at home, i do about 20 pressups, then do sets of 5 until time runs out. If i cannae do this on the day, then i'm f@#k me thinks. :x
Nothing worth doing is ever easy.
druadan

Post by druadan »

You can't let any part of your body touch the floor except your hands and toes. You can take a break by holding the 'up' position for a few seconds, but not too long or you'll be told to end. Personally I get to about 35-40 straight out, stop for one deep breath, do another 3 or 4, deep breath, and can keep going like that to about 65 now. The trick to higher scores, unless you're very good at press ups, is to not quite go for that last one where you can't straighten your arms, because then you're down and buggared...instead, stop for a breath or two after the one before, then push out a few more.

It's only pain... :D
_T.K_

Post by _T.K_ »

When you do press-ups do your elbows have to be tucked bye your torso and if so what benefits do you gain from this way as apposed to the usual.

Also, sit-ups. Do you have your arms across youre body or on you're temple and you elbows have to touch the ground each rep??

Just wondering as i dont wont to get to CTC and not be able to do this method.

Any response will be appriciated.

Cheers,
Tom
Jagger

Post by Jagger »

James, if you stop for any amount of time you're in risk of a PTI stopping you, so i'd only stop for a rest when you're absolutely buggered and need it!

Tom, yes you need your elbows to be tucked into your torso. It's a harder version if you haven't been doing them, it works the shoulders and triceps more than the wide arm ones, also when you're being beasted and made to hold at the bottom of the pressup position you can tuck your elbows as far under the body as they can go and get a little bit of support! :wink:

Situps, Machiavellian got there before me. :D
Kane

Post by Kane »

I was under the impression that your hands were held behind your ears, no on your temples. Can someone clear this up for sure?
PRMC... Beginning of June if all goes well.
davo141

Post by davo141 »

bloody hell! he'll be a house by the time hes finished! the other dude must be bored of counting the sit ups! he hasnt moved in 3 days!

machines the lot of em these PTI fellows..

3888383 press ups......3888384......
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.