Share This Page:

Falklands Weekend on Channel 4

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

As many of you probably already know, Channel 4 is showing two programmes tonight (starting at 18:35) and one tomorrow (at 20:00) about the Falklands War. Just letting those that missed the trailers know :smile:
- Cobalt

"It's always funny until someone gets hurt - then it's hilarious"
ratso

Post by ratso »

Thanks Mike never off the net or Sky so Id missed any trailer for this one.
Might as well get ready for our 20th...
Calum

Post by Calum »

Cheers Mike,

I'm RMR (no rubber jokes please) and hope to do my Commando course in July. I wasn't born when we went South, so I'll take a bit of interest and sit down and watch the programmes. Probably video them too!

By way of interest, does anybody know where I colud get a copy of the documentary about Lympstone, shown about 18 months ago (I think).

Cheers Calum
ratso

Post by ratso »

See I told you, channel four confirm our suspicions again, we did it all for nothing... I was hoping for somthing better than saturdays programes.
Instead of all this bitching about how it was all one big mistake and how we did it just so Maggie could score points, can't we have just one programe that will help us remember those who died. With a dignified report on those we left behind without the normal press crap on how it should never have happened, or how the exocet nearly won the war for the Argi's.
I have memories of people who no longer live not of pieces of metal.
20 years and we still need to bitch.
20 years and still a lot of truths un-told but then why does the world need to know it's over and we need to remember those we left behind.
We just need to hope that the lessons the MOD learnt are remembered.
God bless all who we left behind.
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

Yes I saw Sat nights TV, but I also saw it 10 years ago. Yes we were running out of ammo but we picked up the Argi stuff. Yes we had to yomp, but we could. Yes they couldn't get food to us, but we managed.
None of the programmes really get down to the nitty gritty of it.
I did notice though that there was only one battle GG what happened to Two Sisters, Harriet, Tumbledown. They were walkovers were they? Or maybe the press did not want to talk to us as we told them to go a way.
Still the pu in Arbroath looks like being a good one. 8 Troop Zulu 45 Cdo RM
See ya lads
Brian E

Post by Brian E »

Were there any bootnecks involved in the fighting for Goose Green?
I'm sure I have read somewhere that a company was attached to 2 para, at that time.
Brian Easton
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

its not really my place to say as i was only born in 1982. But when i watched sats program on channel four i was horrified that when they lay the british troops to rest in a mass grave they started reading off the mens names then cut to a break half way through :sad:
must go the second program has just started
(soon to go on my PRMC)
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

Tommy, Sorry to say that is the only way it happens, at the time.
There is no other way as you have to push on with the job in hand.
Within the Coy we had two fatalities and we could not get them out, so they just had to stay under a ponco till something could be done.
It was get the wounded out first.
But as we had no choppers not much could move anyway.
Sounds wrong, looks wrong, but there is nothing you can do about it.
It's called war.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Calum,regarding the documentary - my copy is floating between the nods from edinburgh det, so borrow it from them. Although I do want it back.

From (A Trained Rank)....
Calum

Post by Calum »

Cheers Jimbo,

I'm on a weekend with them this weekend coming, so I'll ask them about it then.

Thanx once again.
ratso

Post by ratso »

Yorkie, I think what Tommy was meaning was that channel four cut off and went to commercial during the reading of the names, which I have to agree was insensitive.
dave barrett

Post by dave barrett »

Living in Canada I haven't had chance to see the programmes you mention, but I think I would have been angry too if I saw "ads" inserted halfway through that burial service. I was present and can assure any one concerned that those guys were buried with full military honours, and more than a few tears.

For Brian E (I think) who asked about a Green Beret presence at Goose Green :

Yes There certainly were Royal Marines at Goose Green, the Company you mention was J Coy 42 Cdo, the adhoc company comprising mostly the old NP 8901's, who were sent to re-inforce 2 Para, but were not involved in the battle.

2 para did, however, have an RM Blowpipe det attached throughout plus the green berets from recce tp 59 (indep) Sqn RE and a FOO party from 29 Cdo RA. They were also supported by the ‘teeny- weeny' airways of Bde Air Sqn. (Capt Niblett and Lt Nunn [posthumously] were awarded DFC's for their outstanding bravery). There were certainly two RM officers attached for various duties, Capt Rod Bell (a gentleman in any language) as interpreter, and Capt Constance as Liaison. Maj Hector (The Corrector) Gullan, was also attached from Bde HQ as Brig Thompson's personal contact man....(Maj Gullan was a Para Officer attached to 3 Cdo Bde, and was entitled to wear virtually any beret he chose, be it sand, green or red.)

I doubt whether that is, by any means, a comprehensive list of the Green Beret presence, and I apologize to any I missed, but even though the efforts of all those mentioned were invaluable to the outcome, it is worth repeating a quote from "No Picnic", by Julian Thompson.... "The Battalion (2 Para) had won this battle with very little help from anyone".....What can you say....Except "Good Job Perce"!!

If you are interested Mark Adkins has written a book called "Goose Green", published by Cassell Military Paperbacks and available from ‘Great Northern Publishing' at http://www.greatnorthernpublishing.co.uk ...An excellent book!

Regards
Dave Barrett

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dave barrett on 2002-01-07 22:17 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nomad on 2002-01-08 08:23 ]</font>
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

Sorry lads, Didn't realise that it faded and went to adverts as I have seen that one so many times, but everytime, I have a cry.
Got an email from Pat Chapman (he was the RSM 45 at the time) saying he was interviewed for ages but only snipets were put in.
Still a new one of three this w/e (read the papers Ratso! so you don't miss it) be intersting if the RM's were involved or not this time.
ratso

Post by ratso »

Sorry Yorkie don't get the papers any more I'm always too busy to read them. Then that is why I read this so much it's easier to keep up to date from all who do....
I did enjoy the Sunday re-visit told it a bit more from the hip in a way we can all relate to. I just hope that the BEEB have sat down and thought about what they are going to put out if anything.
Perhaps HRH Edward want's to make a program... no that would be a disaster he'd never finnish it would he....
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

About the only course he would finish?!?

I used to be a Borough Councilor and he came to open the swimming pool in Tavistock. Me with Corps tie and was introduced to him by the Mayor. Shook hands etc and he noticed the tie. Oh ex Royal. Yes Sir and we both have something incommon. Whats that? We were both kicked out! Mutter mutter and left.

PS I was Med Dis