Share This Page:

Told Too fat for Armed forces

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.

Is the Armed forces discriminatory to larger guys?

Yes
27%
No
67%
Bring back national Service for Fat people
7%

Total votes: 15

TeessideTack

Post by TeessideTack »

I had my BMI taken when applying for RAF Reg but never had anything said about it. I'm 6'2" and 16 stone...I was told I was on the borderline for entrants and recommended to get down to 15st which I did.
AST: Passed
AFCO Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PGAC: 04/05/09 - Failed
PGAC Re-Attempt - ??
TG Course: ?
Airborne Legend

Post by Airborne Legend »

Don't bother with the gym, just RUN for as far and as long as you can, don't worry about speed just get the distance in and the weight will come off. But it requires effort, no one ever got in if they were fat and just 'pulled their weight', you must be fit.
There is no fear, there is only the force.

Do or do not, there is no try.
daz89

Post by daz89 »

Hyperlithe wrote:Never heard of anyone being rejected due to their BMI if they passed the fitness test...
My friend isnt even getting to do the fitness tests because of his BMI. he plays rugby, hes not that big a guy!

Hes been having to write down his fitness plan for the last 5 months!
TeessideTack

Post by TeessideTack »

BMI is a load of shite anyway, one of my best mates is 6'3" and 21st and I'll give anyone £100 in cash if you find an ounce of fat on him. Yet BMI would say he is "overweight" or even "obese" !!!
PGAC Re-Attempt - ??
Airborne Legend

But could he do a 9:30 1.5mile?

SandyTheGuvnor

Post by SandyTheGuvnor »

TeessideTack wrote:BMI is a load of shite anyway, one of my best mates is 6'3" and 21st and I'll give anyone £100 in cash if you find an ounce of fat on him. Yet BMI would say he is "overweight" or even "obese" !!!
I hope you are rich as you would lose a lot of money if people took you up on that "challenge"

Airborne Legend wrote:But could he do a 9:30 1.5mile?
or a 1h 50 p coy 10 miler :P
Things you feel like doing after being hit in the liver :
-Vomitting
-Suffocating
-Shitting yourself
-Passing out
-Crying for your mummy
-Stop taking part in any kind of violent sport.......
Airborne Legend

Exactly :D

croker

Post by croker »

up on that "challenge"

Airborne Legend wrote:But could he do a 9:30 1.5mile?
or a 1h 50 p coy 10 miler :P[/quote]

or eat 5 dry jacobs cream crackers in under a min ? :o :P
Barb - Passed
Medical - Passed
First Interview - Passed
Second Interview - Passed
ADSC - passed
Intake -?
TeessideTack

Post by TeessideTack »

Probably not fella but just stating that BMI isn't to be taken too seriously. My BMI is probably just about right but there can be extreme circumstances.
PGAC Re-Attempt - ??
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:58 pm Post subject: Told Too fat for Armed forces

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be totally honest most of my family are all fair hefty apart from one or two.

I do a quite a bit of walking and swimming (not great at it though) but i admit i have a bit of podge but i am not the one for trying to getting the fat shifted - I have a rugby player build or so i am told (maybe folks just being polite for saying i am fat?) As for the gym had been going to local sport centre but then switched to big chain gyms, i do try go on a daily basis for minimum of an hour (mixture of routines) hell i even went to doctor and see if he could help but no luck their so i guess i am destined to be fat? No? It might seem like i am on a whinge, possibly but it the case where i myself dont really have or know many people due to partly my own fault of being bit shy

Long story short. Yes i am serious but i just cant really get my head around the stupid bmi count when in the past fat people could get in no bother and they made you pull your weight n stuff..!!

Brig QW

FYI to those whom presume i am extrapolating urine i am not
Buddy ... I am a big guy naturally, I have a big frame and used to be real fit. Now I have a biug fram e and lots of phys to do before I apply because I got lazy. From the diet you described, you are going to need to shed a few pounds. Get running mate, dont stop the weigts just do low weights high reps ... it does work. Speak to a trainer at your gym about fat burning, get to some classes, spinning / aerobics / step, they work.

It will require commitment, I know exactly how you feel, if you really want it knuckle down and lose weight. If you want any advice mate drop me a PM.

(Edited as I am a bif and quoted the wrong person)
Last edited by wannabe_rock on Tue 26 May, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

Some Of The Best RAF Fighters Operate On The Ground!
Tab

Post by Tab »

If they applied this to the International Rugby Teams then they would all fail the test. Nearly all the Rugby players are big blokes weighing in around 16/17 stone with out an once of fat on them.
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

Quite right Tab. I have numerous friends who play profesional rugby, nearly all of them are classed as obese on the BMI chart. These guys though along with the likes of bodybuilders are the exception to the rule.

Generally the BMI chart can be a handy tool in measuring a person's health as far as diet / level of exercise undertaken goes.

Brigadier Warlock go see your doctor or a trainer at your gym, get your body fat taken. This will then put you in a position where by if you do need to lose a bit of 'podge' you wil know how much, or if you have a low body fat you can then attend the AFCO armed with with this piece of information and persuade the AFCO to give you a go.
"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

Some Of The Best RAF Fighters Operate On The Ground!
lockeboi

Re: Told Too fat for Armed forces

Post by lockeboi »

I myself am 6 ft 5, weighing about 18 stone. Mainly at this weight due to playing rugby at a semi pro level, and i could easily manage the fitness tests, and completely them all with good scores. But would i then get turned down because im just generally to big, i probably would fail the bmi test.