Share This Page:

Swim Question

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
Irv81

Swim Question

Post by Irv81 »

Ok, this may sound like a stupidly silly question, but I'll explain my reason for asking.

I've been giving some serious thought to joining up. I always say my biggest mistake was not joining up more or less right after college. I'm 26, female. Anyway, I'm very active, love keeping fit, etc. Pretty competent in an intellectual way. However, I have one downfall - I am not a strong swimmer and I hate being "under water". This has always put me off attempting to join up. I am not sure how much of a vital role swimming or water activity plays in the training and ongoing processes of the forces. I can swim, and could probably improve myself on it, but I'd be really interested to know how much of a role this plays in training and whatnot.

Thanks for anyone who can offer me sound advice on this.

I appreciate it.

Regards,
Irv81.
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

There is a basic military swim test that needs to be completed to my knowledge. I believe it entails swimming to the end of a pool and back without touching the other end with combat 95 kit on. I am sure someone will come along to verify. This maybe job specific.

Mike
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

If you joined up you would definitely do some of the PT sessions at basic training in the pool, but they let you divide yourselves into groups based on how strong a swimmer you think you are. That would mean you could do most of your exercises down at the shallow end.

Anything else would probably depend on what trade you're going for!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
adamb

Post by adamb »

I think you should just go for it, if you have to do some swimming im sure you will learn in there. Don't leave it until its to late you might regret it for the rest of your life, all you can do is try :D
Irv81

Post by Irv81 »

Thanks for the replies.

You make a good point AdamB. I already regret having not done it already so I ca at least give it a go instead of thinking of "what if" the rest of my life.

As a side note; I see you're across the bridge in Grimsby. I'm the other side in Hull.
adamb

Post by adamb »

Yeah not far away ! How long you wanted to be in the R.A.F? Ive wanted to be in the military since i was 14, i applied for the royal marines at 15yrs & 9months old went through the process up to a prmc and had a change of heart and when i was 17yrs & 1 month (just missing the junior course) i applied for the army, that was 3 months ago now got my interview tomorrow & hoping to be doing my ADSC late next month. If i was you id apply now you got nothing to lose but alot to gain ! :D Or pop into the careers office and have a chat with someone about why you want to join and then the reasons you havn't applied so far. I think your closest one is

Brittannia Suite,
Norwich House, Saville St,
Hull,
North Humberside
HU1 3ES

Tel: 01482 325901

Give it a shot :D :D
Irv81

Post by Irv81 »

Thanks, Adam. I thought it was around Saville Street area, and you confirmed that. Good luck with the whole ADSC. I hope it all goes well for you. Be sure to let me know how it goes.
adamb

Post by adamb »

Thanks i will do, let us know if you decide to apply :D