Share This Page:

Sports and exercise scinces BTEC National Diploma

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Stokey_14

Sports and exercise scinces BTEC National Diploma

Post by Stokey_14 »

Anyone else been on this course at college? I'm about to apply for my place on this course at South Cheshire next week, just wondering if anyone had any experiences / what they thought about it?

Really it's just to fill a gap between leaving school and joining the Marines but I thought it would be worth doing ...

A) Something that would benefit me and not look to bad on a CV etc either
B) Do something that interests me and I enjoy
C) Meet plenty of new people... mainly of the fairer sex :lol:

(not necessarily in that order :P )

Any thoughts

All the best

Stokey
davidemmerson

Re: Sports and exercise scinces BTEC National Diploma

Post by davidemmerson »

Stokey_14 wrote: A) Something that would benefit me and not look to bad on a CV etc either
B) Do something that interests me and I enjoy
C) Meet plenty of new people... mainly of the fairer sex :lol:
A) Go for it on that case, will definitely look good and is filling your time with something useful.
B) Even more reason to do it.
C) You perv! :lol: There was a girl at cricket practice today who bowled deceptionally good outswingers, played all the bowlers well and threw so fast I didn't lay a hand on anything during the fielding drill! Lesson: the fairer sex aren't always so fair! :lol: Actually, she was just good at cricket!

Have fun!

David
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

C) You perv! There was a girl at cricket practice today who bowled decpetionally good outswingers, played all the bowlers well and threw so fast I didn't lay a hand on anything during the fielding drill! Lesson: the fairer sex aren't always so fair! Actually, she was just good at cricket!
What? I’m into in-depth convocations about sport with females, nothing perverted about it :roll:

As for girls being good at cricket... one of my most embarrassing moment was being pinged for a duck last session by a young lady... later found she plays for England under 17's so that softened the blow. She didn't half get it in there at a rate of knots though :o .

There was some rather amusing banter out on the field (especially being a keeper I was in the thick of it. )all good humored though, if a little politically incorrect from time to time, form both sides! Brought her drink and had a chat after the match so all was good :P

Anyways, any experiences of the course?

Stokey
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

Ok, little bit harsh.

No offence intended mate.
marinewannabe

Post by marinewannabe »

I'm on it as we speak . You learn nothing that you didn't already know but you make a lot of mates. It's a boring course with not much outcome to be honest , little in the way of sport more in the way of science .
He who deliberates fully before taking a step will spend his entire life on one leg.
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

I did it for about 6 months a couple of years ago before I changed to do a public service course. I found it really boring and all I did for 6 months was write assignments on muscle ligaments etc. The public service course was great though, went camping, hiking up mountains in Wales, did one of those days out with ' meet the Marines' and loads more stuff like that.

Good luck with what you do stokey.
RM Recruit Training 2nd March 09
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

davidemmerson wrote:Ok, little bit harsh.

Sorry you lost me there mate... no was taking in the fist place :lol:

Hope I didn't come across wrong :wink:

and it looks like a public service course is sounding like the way to go.. I’m going a open evening tomorrow so I will check it out then, cheers .

All the best

Stokey
xcj

Post by xcj »

I'm on it just now as well, coming to the end of my 3rd year. As stated above the course isn't the best, and I doubt I'd do again it if I could go back and make my choices again. The lack of fit birds on my course is also shocking.

This said I do believe there is a market for sports scientists. A lot of top sports clubs are now employing sports scientists because as athletes get fitter and fitter you're always wanting to get that little bit better and thats when it becomes a science - trying to find tiny ways of improving performance. It's only a matter of time before the market widens in my opinion.

The option to also do masters postgraduates in things such as physiotherapy is a bonus aswell.

I'm not really sure about how much employment there is as a sports scientist at the minute but what I am sure of is that I don't want to spend my life in a lab analysing expired air and biomechanical forces etc.

On the plus side though as a student you do meet quite a few people so enjoy it if you do it. Whilst studying get work experience, it's not easy and you have to look for it but believe me it'd widen your knowledge so much more than a lecture will because if you're like me you don't pay attention in lectures then try and learn it the night before the exam. You can also volunteer for experiments which can be quite good fun.
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

Stokey_14 wrote:
davidemmerson wrote:Ok, little bit harsh.

Sorry you lost me there mate... no was taking in the fist place :lol:

Hope I didn't come across wrong :wink:

and it looks like a public service course is sounding like the way to go.. I’m going a open evening tomorrow so I will check it out then, cheers .

All the best

Stokey
Sorry Stokey, may bad. I mis-read it too, I was only joking about the perv bit as well. When I said "Little bit harsh" I meant me, not you. Confusing eh? :lol: Yeah, thought you were offended, gald your not!

David
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

I did the this course Stokey mate, finished it in 2005.

I gained a 'triple distinction' grade, which I think equates to 360 UCAS points (not too sure); anyway I got the best grade I could achieve and still got rejected from 6 universities to study Physiotherapy. So I think a lot can be said about whether a BTEC really is percieved as the equivalent to A-Levels.

Despite this, I had a great two years, met a lot of good friends learned a lot about something I enjoyed.

However if I had the choice again, it would have to be A-Levels.
- If you overtrained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to handle that level of training

- Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did
xcj

Post by xcj »

Cool Hand Luke wrote:I did the this course Stokey mate, finished it in 2005.

I gained a 'triple distinction' grade, which I think equates to 360 UCAS points (not too sure); anyway I got the best grade I could achieve and still got rejected from 6 universities to study Physiotherapy. So I think a lot can be said about whether a BTEC really is percieved as the equivalent to A-Levels.

Despite this, I had a great two years, met a lot of good friends learned a lot about something I enjoyed.

Really?

I don't know how it works in England but up here you study for 3 years at Uni before getting a Bsc degree and then another year to make it an honours degree. So 4 years gives you an honours degree.

Was the physiotherapy you applied for a postgraduate or simple entry to the undergraduate? See, theres a 2 year Msc postgraduate for people who already hold an honours degree in a subject such as sports science. If it's this you applied for the fact you got rejected from all 6 is a bit sh*t.

As it stands I want to either do this postgraduate in physiotherapy (for which I'll apply next year and get some work experience etc to beef up my CV) or apply to join the police. A mate on my course was speaking to someone who's already graduated from our course and he said quite a few joined the police from it. At least they'll know why they're out of breath after chasing someone :lol:
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

Good job you wern't watching Bermuda and South Africa then, all out for 13! Only took SA 4 balls to finish it off! :o Agreed though, the standard is fairly low.
E5_Man

Post by E5_Man »

I think if your expecting ladies on the course you will need to be lucky.
I am on a similar course, I too joined hoping for some ladies, but is a class of 8 gents :(
Before you insult someone, first walk a mile in their shoes, that way when you insult them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Cool Hand Luke wrote:I did the this course Stokey mate, finished it in 2005.

No mate, they're all the same. No matter what A levels you have or whether you attain a triple pass, merit or distinction, it all add's up to UCAS points. The only difference in the two is that you do exams to achieve one and the other is achieved through assignments. Or at least it was when I passed back in 2005 as well.

College for me was far better than taking A Level's at school because they treat you as more of an adult (unless you are already one) and you're responsible for yourself. I also met some of my best mates at college and I had more time to do what I wanted. It does come as a suprise though mate that you were rejected from 6 uni's! :o

Look at it this way...
They don't know what they missed. 8)
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
_chris

Post by _chris »

Sorry mate thats wrong that they're equal, universities will require different UCAS points from certain BTEC than if it had all come from A-levels etc. And many universities still refuse the UCAS tariff.

The reason being there is no faith in the system from most universities. The system is not viewed as a fair comparrisson due to the weighting it provides to some qualifications over others. Of course its a new system so it can only improve as it fine tunes.

Effectively an A-level student may need 360 UCAS points, while they may require a BTEC student to have 400 etc. There is a real difficulty, if university is where you are headed do check that what is 'equivelent' will be viewed as equivelent by universities.

This is first hand information not just a cocky A-level student etc. however it could be viewed. My dad is a lecturer at a univeristy, as is my Uncle, and I have had the first hand experience of applying as well.

If university isn't you aim, then to my understanding the forces do use the pure UCAS tariff; so go for whatever will interest you the most. Keeping interested for 2 years of A-levels can be extremely challenging.