Share This Page:

What badge is this?

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
JR

Post by JR »

:D Sticks,Yep every Naval division had the 'Pie & Ear' units attached.
Drake,Hawke,Nelson,Howe,Hood and Anson battalions,and has you say the fore runner of the assault Engineers.
Oh and not forgetting the Royal Naval Air Service Armoured car section.

Okay,I know I'll get back to my badge collection and swat up on me head-dress badges.Cheers oppo it looks like you have a few busy months ahead with all the commemorative celebrations on the way,all the best.Aye jr :wink: :wink:
JR

Post by JR »

:P Nice one Sticks,ya beat me to it some more jackspeak is always welcome.Aye jr :P :P
dootybooty

Post by dootybooty »

It is not a genuine badge but a re-strike. a real one would cost £80 - £90.If you are a collector beware, there are lots of restrikes out there. On you example you can tell by the colour of the brass and the lack of detail on the reverse.
Keep the faith.
dootybooty

Post by dootybooty »

PS. On second glance I have made a mistake, it is the top picture that is a fake, the bottom pair could be genuine.
Keep the faith.
barrybudden

Post by barrybudden »

Not sure if mine is a restrike or not, bought it for 10 euro in a wee museum shop in Albert in France. They were selling a lot of pruck from the battlefield.
dootybooty

Post by dootybooty »

I know Albert fairly well and also a couple of Frogs who flog items, there are a few who come over to UK to buy up items to sell. The best guy over there is Dominic who runs the museum under the Basillica of the leaning Virgin, he's a good hand, and has amazing knowledge of the Somme battles. One of the guys who flogs stuff runs the Burma star cafe at Poziers, he can be a bit iffy, he lost an arm taking a fuse cap from a shell, he was using a hammer!
Keep the faith.
barrybudden

Post by barrybudden »

That sounds like the place I got the badge from. I new it was some sort of RM cap badge but that was all. One of the lads managed to get a YCV badge which I would have liked.

You mentioned the Somme, I saw a couple of RMLI graves in the Counaght cemetery at Thepval, they were killed in 1917.
Doc

Post by Doc »

In Sonthofen just up the road from where I worked there is a German war grave site. No sourvenir shop though. In Pfaffenhofen the ex's village there was a graveyard that I used to bimble around after a row, and there were a few graves with military medals and dates 1939-1945.

Politicians and Generals move the peices around the board and its the common man that pays the price with blood. I know they were the enemy in the graves I saw, but they were doing what was ordered of them and did a good job in fairness, couldnt help to feel humbled and honoured to be in the company of heroes, as both sides had them.