Share This Page:

Do the Royal Marines do Parachute Training..?

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

ive always wanted to parachute..but want to join the commandos, not the paras,

'ta
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

As far as I know the Brigade Patrol Troop and the SBS undergo parachute training.

I remember one of the other guys on the old board saying that by earning your green beret you also earn the right to undergo para training without going through p-company. He also said that you'd have to find a course place and have an oc kind enough to be willing to send you on such a course. Maybe a few bottles of JD might help the oc decide :wink:, maybe not :eek:

-Steve C

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve C on 2002-01-25 19:18 ]</font>
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

it would be great to jump out of a plane 10.000 feet up :smile:
BullDog

Post by BullDog »

Guy's there is an area on this forum for question pertaining to the Royal Marines take your question there for an answer.

But if you don't here it is

Not only do the Royal Marines have Para Trained ranks at one time they had more para trained ranks on Para pay then the entire Parachute regiment...

Geoff you jump from 800 feet but on occasions you get to have fun too the highest I have jumped from is 3,000 feet from a C141 Starlifter Jet, they are much bigger than the C130's

The Royal Marines Parachute Display Team (Now no more, but hope to revive it) hold the World Record for the biggest Stack ever.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BullDog on 2002-01-26 10:18 ]</font>
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

my brother went parachuting for his 21st birth day, he said when he was looking out of the plane ready to jump, the instructor he was attached to was counting down from 5, and on 1 my brother said he shit his pants, literally. but when he got to the ground he said it was awesome, ever since then ive wanted to parachute.

was it scary the 1st time you did it? did you jump on your own but with other recruits? or attached to an instructor?

thanks.
Dave220784

Marines with Wings

Post by Dave220784 »

Royal Can put himself forward for parachutist trainning, its up to the individual i belive, its the same as if a bootneck wants to join SAS. however i also belive that it is easier for a royal marines resevist to get on a parachuting than it is for his regular counter-part
deathfromabove

Bollocks

Post by deathfromabove »

[quote="BullDog"]Guy's there is an area on this forum for question pertaining to the Royal Marines take your question there for an answer.

But if you don't here it is

Not only do the Royal Marines have Para Trained ranks at one time they had more para trained ranks on Para pay then the entire Parachute regiment...

Geoff you jump from 800 feet but on occasions you get to have fun too the highest I have jumped from is 3,000 feet from a C141 Starlifter Jet, they are much bigger than the C130's

The Royal Marines Parachute Display Team (Now no more, but hope to revive it) hold the World Record for the biggest Stack ever.

YEAH, BUT LETS FACE IT; AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU'RE ALL GIPPING HATS AND YOU HAVE WOMEN COMMANDOS!! OUTRAGEOUS!
Mutley

Post by Mutley »

DFA did your mummy do the typing, or did the nursing staff do it for you?

You also seem to have over looked Hanna Snell who was a very experienced, battle hardened and capable Royal Marine, who definitely had a feminine side!

Welcome to the only site on the Web.

Si monumentum requiris, circumspice
Wein, weib und gesang

[img]http://www.hotink.com/wacky/m-ani.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
feathers

Post by feathers »

I have a lot of respect for the marines, however I think it is unfair that they can do the wings course without doing P-Company, If a para does amphibious landings does he get a commando dagger? no.. so why does it work the other way? In answer to your question can you be para trained? yes... once in the marines can you apply to do the all arms P-Coy.. the answer is also YES.
El Prez

Paras

Post by El Prez »

I've always considered our para trained troops to be the 'thinking mans para'. There again one wouldn't want to upset poor little DFA, or would we? I always remember the way paras wore their flak jackets under their smocks to make themselves look really ruggsy, made them look like class 'A' pillocks.
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Mutley

Post by Mutley »

Feathers, you seem a little misguided, if a para successfully completes the All Arms Commando Course, then they do get to wear the 'commando dagger', and they are entitled to wear a green lid.

Its just so few pass you probably haven't noticed.
Wein, weib und gesang

[img]http://www.hotink.com/wacky/m-ani.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Ahoy there!
In answer to the original question. Yes. And it was jolly exciting. Brize Norton was excellent fun in the summer of 86. The scran was very good. Royal didn't know what was happening, what with all that ice cream and fresh prawns. The Para Reg colour man and his staff were real characters and the RAF instructors weren't.
The best bit was being told that Marines were still barred from the NAAFI disco (Spotlights??) due to a fracas that had happened nearly a year earlier when 40 Cdo RM were passing through before deploying to Belize. A confrontation had occured which resulted in Bisto Connell ordering that all the RMs should stand on one side of the dance floor and everyone else on the other. He then lead the famous battle charge across the dance floor!
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Fond memories of the NAAFI in Dhekelia, Cyprus. Like a scene from virgin soldiers. Don't know who launched the first bottle but the air was full of them when Royal got pissed off with the battery acting like pongos. It took the RSM, Spike Kelly to separate the warring tribes.
Ice & a slice in mine Luv. 8)
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
barneyg

Re:

Post by barneyg »

Rogue Chef wrote:Ahoy there!
In answer to the original question. Yes. And it was jolly exciting. Brize Norton was excellent fun in the summer of 86. The scran was very good. Royal didn't know what was happening, what with all that ice cream and fresh prawns. The Para Reg colour man and his staff were real characters and the RAF instructors weren't.
The best bit was being told that Marines were still barred from the NAAFI disco (Spotlights??) due to a fracas that had happened nearly a year earlier when 40 Cdo RM were passing through before deploying to Belize. A confrontation had occured which resulted in Bisto Connell ordering that all the RMs should stand on one side of the dance floor and everyone else on the other. He then lead the famous battle charge across the dance floor!

paras v marines. that has to be the coolest bar fight in the hisory of the world :agrue:

also do they actually parachute in to combat much, can comandos join the sas, can they be snipers and do they spend much time on boats?? cheers in advance
timex

Re: Do the Royal Marines do Parachute Training..?

Post by timex »

No
Yes
Yes
Yes