Share This Page:

Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge.

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
benny687

Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge.

Post by benny687 »

A mate of mine has just been roped into this. 25miles over Pen-y-Ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough in 12 hours. He asked me to help him get fit and now I quite fancy having a go.

Anybody done this before or planning on doing it this year? happening in June I think.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Skeav`s oppos will sort you out, send him a pm :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
druadan

Post by druadan »

I've done it a few times, and it's only 24 miles :wink:

12 hours is ages, 10 hours is a good pace, but I've done that with my 50-year old father :roll: If you're doing it as a physical challenge, aim for 8hrs with a daysack for a bit of a push. You should be able to stop at the pub half way round for lunch at that rate as well 8)
benny687

Post by benny687 »

Cheers for help guys.

I was looking at about 6-7 hours, possibly being a bit optimistic but I'm feeling fit! lol. Going to do the first of a few practice sessions on the hills next weekend, hopefully have more of an idea after that.

Thanks again!

Ben
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

derson

Post by derson »

It's a good walk, a friend an I did a it a few years back, mind you... we got a tad lost which made the walk a touch longer :lol:

Had a load of photographs kicking around somewhere...
Lewis187

Post by Lewis187 »

I did the Yorkshire 3 peaks last September in 7hrs 30mins. I had climbed the 3 National peaks (Snowden, Scafell & Ben Nevis) earlier in the year on separate occasions and found it to be great fun so thought I’d try this and joined a friends work team when a member dropped out.

If your doing it in 7-8 hours you’ll be finishing near the front. I came 2nd overall….however it is classed as a team event and your teams time will be when the last person crosses the line. There were however a lot of individuals just doing it for a crack. I took a day sack weighing about 20lbs and didn’t find it too difficult.

The parts I didn’t enjoy too much were the road walking between hills….but you could always run these and shave minutes/hours off your time. What did slow me down was the fact I didn’t have a map and was unsure where I was heading so just stuck with the front man….until his fell running and triathlon fitness outshone my own fitness!!

I’m planning on rounding up a group of 4 Para lads for this year’s event, which is Saturday 21st June 08.

Lewis
benny687

Post by benny687 »

Lewis187 wrote:I’m planning on rounding up a group of 4 Para lads for this year’s event, which is Saturday 21st June 08.
Lewis
Thats the one we were going to do. Now looks like we will be doing it on our own the week after because of work crap getting in the way. Still, should be a laugh!