Share This Page:

Time for some help

Discussions and general chat about PTSD. Feel free to introduce yourself or if you need help, please reach out and ask.
ratso

Post by ratso »

Sorry not to have posted a reply sooner Harry.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. It is as my CPN has told me the hard part at present, I have been all the way to hell and back daily.
The way they take you through it up here is quite good with home visits to help build up your reserves and teach you how to cope. The next stage is the hardest with the shrink. The problems now being faced are the fear that you are mad or the reverse that you are a fraud, and if you have been here you know what I mean.
The session in two weeks is an in depth talk which is aimed at finding all the emotional areas. So now is the point where I have wanted to say I don't need this and I need to go back to work, fearing that I will be found to be a fraud or am I mad?
The good side is having so many people to turn to out there, thanks lads adn lasses, I really do feel sorry for the ones who lock them selves away.

I would recommend 'St, Johns Wort' to anyone natural and a good one it really works for most people.
I have also found another organisation called Ty Gwyn who work with PTSD sufferers and seem to be switched on Tel: 01492 544081
Will let you have the web site address when I have it.
Falklands Veterans Foundation
www.fvf.org.uk www.yomp30.co.uk
Save the Fearless www.hmsfearless.co.uk
Give Her A Home So We Can All Remember
bean

best wishes

Post by bean »

Hi Ratso. Just a few lines to say hang in there,, I know what your going through, my door opened a few months ago when my father died and all sorts of fears and nightmares came tumbling out . but what we have got to be sure of is, we are getting better because we got off our butts and did something about it. I am also in the North East and can agree the care I am getting is pretty good as well.

Take care

Lee

Danger - if you meet it promptly and without flinching - you will reduce the danger by half. Never run away from anything. Never! - Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill
Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail. - Confucius
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Cheers, Rats,
The differance between C.S. and most NHS type organisations is that with treatment at C.S. you are not on your own or with people who suffer PTSD as a result of an incident in their daily lives. Witnesses to RTAs or death of a close relative, for instance. You are amongst ex service personell, in various stages of the treatment process, who are able to support each other. During Mutleys and my visit, this is what impressed both of us. You are not alone, Colin.
Bean, when my Dad died three years ago it left a big hole in my life which is there every day. You dont get over it. But with time, you do get used to it. When I read Rob Parrys post, elsewhere, about the D Day Dodgers it brought it all rushing back and Im crying, now, at the memory,

God Bless All.

yours, Aye

Harry
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
bean

Post by bean »

Hi Harry thanks for a reply. yes strange my dad was there on Dday shot few weeks after atthe falase gap.

Yes its strange what a lossdoes to you. I had been suffering with what I have been told by my doc as clinical depression for about the last 5 0r 6 years at least,coping like ex bootnecks do "nothing wrong with me, just p*** off today". His passing made me take a new look and go and get help, so some good comes out of most thing.

I would like to say itsgood not to be alone ,but when I see some of the post, it really makes me sad to see what appear to be such good men going through such suferring.

Take care

Bean
Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail. - Confucius
harry hackedoff

Same as that, mate.
Good luck, Lee.
Aye
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
harry hackedoff

Rats, further to my post on 21 Nov,
Finally found box of my stuff with gen from C.S.

The Regional Welfare Officer for the North East is one Lt Col P Poole (good omen there, Colin) The support desk for your region is run by Charlotte Nadine who can be contacted on 01952 814 587.
She`s waiting for your call.

Don`t make her wait too long, mate

yours, Aye

Harry Hackedoff
Shoulderholster

Post by Shoulderholster »

I read this very short passage the other day and it seemed to sum up eveything in a few words.

Psychiatrist.."It says here that you were in Vietnam"

Patient... "Yeah"

Psychiatrist...."When was that?".

Patient..."Last night".

Keep talking folks
SH
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

Shoulderholster,
Very profound and very true. Certain events don't fade with time, they intensify. The time between such reliving of the events is unknown, sometimes a day sometimes a week and for the lucky ones... weeks.

People, please don't suffer in silence... talk with someone, anyone who will listen.
Talking helps... it might cure... and it will help
ratso

Post by ratso »

I know many people on here have been through Combat Stress and I am sure it works. I have found that the one to one I have at present is working 100% let me say why.
I have two people who see me one in my home and one at my GP's clinic. The Clinical therapist who see's me at the GP's, well she is very good sessions have been on a weekly basis and yes they are bloody intense, but no pressure, and sorry but one hour is all I can cope with before dropping to my knees. Sounds stupid even to me, but after a session it can take me days before I am able to complete even basic tasks.
Then we have the CPN, she visits me at home, this helps to reinforce the fact that yes it is doing good and also helps me to ease back into daily life by getting her big stick out and telling me what I should be doing.
A great team and they look after me, they also look after many others from all war zones.
I am not ready for the residential approach, I need my safe house, my hide away. Combat Stress feel that the environment and close relations with others can help. I would agree in some cases, though feel that this can be wrong for many. I am walking I'm not ready to run.
I will at soem point go to one of the centres, though I have only just come to terms with the illness and the fact we are into the time heals ellement, and yes it is a long time we are looking at.
I would advise anyone starting on this track to ensure that the course is well planned and there is no quick fix, which is what I wanted, there is only time. 20 years of stumbling now I need to learn to walk.
Beast
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Beast »

Glad to hear your getting on so well mate, keep it up.
Remeber there's a few of us around if you ever want to have a chat.
Time will heal.
ratso

Post by ratso »

The one thing that has become clear over the months that I have had treatment and through the web read others problems, then helping others by picking up the phone, is that this is something that never leaves you just learn methods and ways to cope.

The great sadness for me is that I have lost 20 years of my life and now I am watching the weeks turn to months and soon the months to years fighting for a little piece of what I would class as dignity and pride.
Three months ago all I wanted was a quick fix now all I want is to take my time because if I rush this I know I will just end up back at the start.

Many people out there have taken doctors advice and gone the medicated route, I won't, stuborn Yes because I believe that if I can do this without the drugs then I will have achieved something for myself even if it does take a while longer, I would rather stay part of the world and not be resigned to sleep other than when my body really needs it.

I recommend that anyone suffering first tries natural remedies such as St Johns Wort. I find it just gives an edge to the day and that is what I need not more sleep.

It's a bloody long fight, but it is 20 years plus of filing cabinets to unlock and sort the contents out.

Thanks to all who give even a little because just a voice on the end of a telephone can be enough as many out there have found.
bean

Post by bean »

Yes, I agree Ratso, that voice helps. A cheery friendly voice, with nothing hidden behind the words, but concern. better than any of the drugs.

As for St Johns wart. I used it for a long time and it held me together until I could get some other help, it work well

Lee
Big Boys Rules

Ratso

Post by Big Boys Rules »

Ratso,

Your posts have really struck a chord, you have said things that I know I have thought. I am pleased to see an upward tone in your later posts.

I hope things continue to get better for you.

Regards,
Troll
You can not out think Det-Cord!!!