Share This Page:

Great Book

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
dave barrett

Post by dave barrett »

Season's greetings to Tony L and all his readers. I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago, but got lost in all the changes. I won't enter the 'great debate' for a few reasons, the main one being I know nowt about message boards. I noticed Yorkie Malone mentioned he had just read a book called "Green Berets in Korea" by Fred Hayhurst (good old Fred!)...I just wanted to throw my 2 happence in by saying it is a cracking read, I defy any serving or ex Royal to read it and not feel proud to be part of the same family and traditions. Also great to know that humour in the Corps transcends the generation gap.
I know the book is available from the Corps Museum, it's published by Vanguard Press, ISBN: 1 903489 12 1.
No, I'm not on a commission.
New subject, pleased to read that Paddy Nye is still around, god you must be really really old now Paddy.
Dave B.
Per Mare Per Terram Per Haps
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Glad to hear that Fred's book is being received so well.

I know that you sig's people keep patting yourselves on the back for being the mainstay reference the computer network, but, when it comes to real literary work, you have to look to the HW's.

Help me out here Dan Axtell.
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

Cheers for the one about Freds book. I cried and laughed all the way through. The one thing I did find interesting was that I came out with trenchfoot (NFCI) after the FI. Whilst reading that book and sitting in front of a very hot wood burner I was suddenly feeling the cold and lost feeling in my feet.
Andy yes the interesting stories come from Spt Coy.
But when you call Arty in at 50 mts you expect a load to be dropped on you...We got it, but it took them out.
Trust one another.
Danaxle

Post by Danaxle »

Andy
I havn't read this yet. Two's up on your copy when you are through.

Yorky I didn't know you could read - I thought you only looked at moving pictures.

Happy Chrimbo one and all
Dan Axtell (Colour Sergeant by god and Heavy Weapons to boot.) (Retired)
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

Dan Axel, Yes I know you and I did learn to read but can't do joined up letters yet still as the telli has broken I might be able to crack it this christmas. Of course I was one of those marines that could write when I joined so had to learn to read.
At least I don't have to ask for twos up on a book from a bloke who is thousands of miles away. I can on my pension from HM afford to buy my own.And I got it signed by Fred himself.... So there
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Dan, We don't read them we just write them, sell them to the other punters, who then spread the word of the world according to HW.

Hope you all had a good Christmas. Got to get back to the Glenfiddich.

Aye