Share This Page:

The Christmas Truce of 1914

General information on Military History.
Jason The Argonaut

Post by Jason The Argonaut »

The "great war" had been raging for nearly five months when Christmastime rolled around. For the soldiers on the front lines, their homes were deep trenches cut into the ground, filled with knee-deep sticky mud. Many soldiers on both sides of the battle lines were covered with it from head to toe.

Soldiers had to keep their heads low, because at all times the enemy snipers were watching, and would shoot at anything that appeared in their scope. The closer to Christmas it got, the more sporadic the rifle fire became, as if on both sides, they were simply ready for a break. On Christmas Eve. 1914 the first hard freeze settled over the ground, which was welcomed by the soldiers because at last the mud was solid.

Thoughts of the soldiers turned to their families, tucked away safely in their beds. The soldiers settled down in their bunks with letters from their loved ones, pictures, and if they were lucky, gifts. While the cold air blew in around them, they turned their faces into their coats, and tried to sleep.

In the early morning hours of December 25, a thick mist settled around them. It was hard to see from one side of "No Man's Land" to the other. Suddenly a chorus of song broke the silence of the morning, and drifted up from the German trenches across the way. The startled allies were amazed to discover when they peeked their heads up to look, that the Germans had erected dozens of Christmas trees in their trenches, and had even decorated them. They listened in silence as the Germans sang "Silent Night." Stille nacht, heilige nacht…

When the voices concluded and echoed away, applause rang out from the allies. The German singing had been lovely. The allies began a song of their own, and on through the night the soldiers from either side of the battlefield sang together.

When dawn broke, the Germans called out to the allies, "Come over!" The allies responded, "You first!" and tentatively, officers from either side walked out over "No Man's Land," to greet each other. A ceasefire was called, and soldiers from both sides rose out of their trenches to meet these people whom they had just been trying to kill. Some of the people could communicate with words, but others who did not know the other side's language made themselves understoodas they gave each other gifts of cigarettes, clothing and food. They shared photographs of their families, and called each other "friend" for the rest of the day. They built bonfires which glowed well into the night.

Finally the long dreaded moment had come- time for each side to return to their trenches. The soldiers said goodbye to their new friends, and sank down into their muddy holes. With a heavy heart, the firing began again, and the war continued for four more years.

You may ask, why have I told such a sad story? What good is the Christmas spirit if it only lasts such a short while? I think that it is important to remember that in the midst of all that death and chaos, the Christmas spirit was still able to reach down into the darkest pit and lift the soldiers out. The Christmas spirit has another name- Hope. It needs nothing more to survive on its own than a beating heart, and a song to sing.

Spread hope around you this Christmas. Hug and kiss your family, send a gift to a soldier overseas, give blood. The real magic of Christmas is always inside of you. Share the magic.

The Christmas truce was not an isolated incident. All along the battle lines, ceasefire was called by soldiers similar to the ones in the story above. Sometimes the truce lasted all the way until Boxing Day (Jan.6).

A little christmas magic I think :wink: :lol:
I fight for my corner and secondly I leave when the pub closes. - Winston Churchill [img]http://www.world-of-smilies.de/html/images/smilies/teufel/smilie_vampire.gif[/img]
old scaly back

Post by old scaly back »

Not only at Christmas time did this happen.
At one location there was a shortage of water.
One well was available,the stange thing was that the British shared with the Germans.
They took it in turns getting the water out,standing in a line.

If i remember right the well was underground.

I have been on a few battlefield tours,mainly WW1.
If you have a spare week i highly recomend them.
I used to be in the SASS (Saturday and Sunday Soldier)
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Yeah I heard that story, the officers got in trouble for that and wasn't allowed to happen again. The investors, corporations and politicians would lose their ass if that senario was repeated enough times.

Yeah I say I like the story and that is how it should be. Soldiers, war ect.. to me is like a sporting event in the raw. Each team wears his countries jersey and the sport should only be played between the two teams, no civilian bombings ect... At the end the better man wins. As for chivalry being abscent from the field, well who's fualt is that? Ours of course. Modern warfare disallowed it. And we wonder why we fight these guerrilla wars?
What the hell, why not use a nuke to settle it?
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Jason

A timely post. Funnily enough there's an academic at the University of {Leicester?????} trying to get 'eyewitness' accounts of this event. Or, at least, letters to family from guys who were there at the time.

The implication being that it may have all been a bit of propaganda rather than an actual event. Which surprises me because I, like most people, have heard the 'story' plenty of times.

Anyway, I'll be keeping my ears open with interest to see what transpires.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

In the War of Northern Aggression these things happened. Battles postponed due to holidays and such, but it just made them bloodier later.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Jason The Argonaut

old scaly back wrote:Not only at Christmas time did this happen.
At one location there was a shortage of water.
One well was available,the stange thing was that the British shared with the Germans.
They took it in turns getting the water out,standing in a line.

If i remember right the well was underground.

old scaly back did this take place in WW1 as well ?

Whitey wrote:Yeah I say I like the story and that is how it should be. Soldiers, war ect.. to me is like a sporting event in the raw. Each team wears his countries jersey and the sport should only be played between the two teams, no civilian bombings ect... At the end the better man wins. As for chivalry being abscent from the field, well who's fualt is that? Ours of course. Modern warfare disallowed it. And we wonder why we fight these guerrilla wars?
What the hell, why not use a nuke to settle it?
I agree with you there Whitey

Sisyphus there is a museum in the Belgium town of Ypres that is dedicated to this one event. I'm sure they would have all the information you would ever need.
I fight for my corner and secondly I leave when the pub closes. - Winston Churchill [img]http://www.world-of-smilies.de/html/images/smilies/teufel/smilie_vampire.gif[/img]
Tab

Post by Tab »

Yes the waring factions did get together in no mans land during WW1, but it did not go on all day. A Major took umbridge at it and call down some artillery fire to break it up, he was concerned that they might get to pally and would not fight each other later on .

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Jason The Argonaut wrote:Sisyphus there is a museum in the Belgium town of Ypres that is dedicated to this one event. I'm sure they would have all the information you would ever need.
Cheers, Jason

I'm not sure when I might be visiting there [if ever]. my last trip was in 1965. But if I do, I'll definitely pop in. I wonder why that Prof. was asking for 'eyewitness' accounts, letters?

I wish I could remember more where I read it. On teletext, I think. Still, I'm sure he'll get the feedback he needs. Even if it's only advice that he needs to visit Ypres!! :-?
Spannerman

Post by Spannerman »

This war, fought in the trenches, must have been horrendous for the troops involved, my God I cannot comprehend the horrors these guys went through, that is why, I for one stand in silence with head bowed on Armistice Day.

Lest we forget..............
Jason The Argonaut

Sisyphus wrote:Sisyphus there is a museum in the Belgium town of Ypres that is dedicated to this one event. I'm sure they would have all the information you would ever need.
Well Belgium is a bit far just to pop into a museum :roll: :)

Your last trip was in 1965, was it a ceremonial visit or just a bit of a holiday ?
thou shalt not kill

Post by thou shalt not kill »

What a nice story it shows the true spirit of the common man. No one wants to kill another human being only a psycopath enjoys killing its simply they are forced into it by curropt goverments. When it comes down to it we all no wars are started by people in suits but there fought by people in camoflage while they sit safely in there offices eating caviar and drinking crystal.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Drinking crystal? :-?

Thou shalt not post shite, I think you`ve been smoking crystal, as in meth amphetamine :roll:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
thou shalt not kill

Post by thou shalt not kill »

yeah crstal its a expensive wine from france which rich snobs like to drink as they laugh about killing millions and plan to do it again.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

You are an idiot mate.
Have you tried ARRSE?
You would get on really well over there :-?

Fugging maggots, oi ate`s `em oi duz :P
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]