Share This Page:

Storming Eagles: German Airborne Forces in WW2 - James Lucas

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
just_me

Post by just_me »

Thanks, cleared that up for me. I'm half German meself, taking one of my GCSEs tomorrow so any German words I can get into, I am 8)
- Also, what is the difference between 'fallskarmjagere' and 'fallshirmjager' or is (the first) the Swedish word?
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Exactly Fallskärmsjägare is Swedish, Fallschirmjäger is German. Note spellings!

Fallskärm/Fallschirm = parachute

Literally translated the word means falling (fall) screen,cover (schirm)

The German for umbrella for example is simply that, schirm. Sometimes regenschirm = literally rain screen.
just_me

Post by just_me »

Thanks a lot mate :D
I always knew 'shirm' meant something similar to cover or canopy but was told it was umbrella - I knew 'schirm' was the shortened version of 'regenschirm' and that was the confusion: somehow 'fall umbrella' didn't make sense :-?
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Storming Eagles has always had pride of place within my fairly considerable collection of military books. I have had it for years and it's still in top notch condition.

When I was on a LRRP course in Germany in 1994, one of the Fallschirmjager lads in my team (they mix the nationalities of the teams) gave me a very interesting book, simply called KRETA-Seig der Kuhnsten (Daring Victory). It is written in German, with English translations. It's a pictoral history of the airborne invasion of Crete, and has stacks of original pictures, most of which I hadn't seen before. What was even more interesting is that my German mucker's grandad is in the book!

It doesn't have an author, but has an introduction by Maj Gen Julian Thompson. The isbn number on the back is 3-924752-17-2.