Share This Page:

Third interview complete ..ADSC SOON!

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Alistair14

Third interview complete ..ADSC SOON!

Post by Alistair14 »

Thought I'd sign up here so I could get a little help!
Trying to go in for the Artillery and I've gotten 3/4 of the fitness down and improving loads
The running side I'm not so good at, i can get half way round this field ..kinda average park playing field and I start getting a stich etc, is there any way I'll actually be able to run the 1.5 miles in a decent time?

Hopefully I've explained well enough!

Cheers
Ali
Last edited by Alistair14 on Fri 10 Aug, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Millar

Re: Few small questions!

Post by Millar »

Drink sips of water all day leading up to the run so you are hydrated, but don't for example drink a Pint of water straight before the run as you will get a stitch, try to breath through the nose both breathing in and out, if you can't do that breath in through the nose (big deep breaths) and then short bursts out the mouth, keep your head in a strict straight position, same with you back nice and straight, and don't throw your arms about as that will only use more energy, apart from that keep trying, the more you run the more used to running you will get, attempt the field about 3/4 days a week and I can guarantee each time you will get a little better :)

Ofcourse not smoking and eating well helps allot but that's obvious.. lol
mike.dt

Post by mike.dt »

I find that holding your hands on top of your head when you get a stitch can really help, and you don't need to stop running :)
Warfare Not Welfare
(Body Armour not Benefits)
Millar

Post by Millar »

I find that holding your hands on top of your head when you get a stitch can really help, and you don't need to stop running :)
Exactly right, by doing this more oxygen can enter the lungs and muscles relieving pain (stitches), besides that always remember "pain is weakness leaving the body" so wipe that sand from your vagina and smash your ADSC maggot :)
Tab

Post by Tab »

Go through the pain barrier,
Alistair14

Post by Alistair14 »

Keep forgetting to check back!
Thanks for the advice etc guys, its helped and gunna help a lot!

The only way i can tell atm (cause im on holiday) is running on the tredmill :)
I've gotten my time down to 10:36 but i need to start running on the fields again instead of the mill!

I've tried the hand above the head when i get a stitch and it helps a lot along with the water!

Thanks a lot fella's. much appreciated! :D
Alistair14

Post by Alistair14 »

Just a quick check up!

I got my second interivew(if thats riight) and my pre-selection booked for 2 weeks time ..any tips etc for it all? Really looking forward to it all :D
Eddiek1989

Re: Pre-selection etc booke ..Still got questions!

Post by Eddiek1989 »

1. Get out hitting the pavement and get your run time down as much as possible.
2. Learn ALL the topics for your icebreaker, you could be given any of them.
3. On your team tasks, give it everything, be vocal, input your ideas, and encorage your team.
4. Give it everything on the day, your marked just as much on effort and commitment as you are on finishing the task.

Good luck!
Alistair14

Re: Pre-selection etc booke ..Still got questions!

Post by Alistair14 »

Eddiek1989 wrote:1. Get out hitting the pavement and get your run time down as much as possible.
2. Learn ALL the topics for your icebreaker, you could be given any of them.
3. On your team tasks, give it everything, be vocal, input your ideas, and encorage your team.
4. Give it everything on the day, your marked just as much on effort and commitment as you are on finishing the task.

Good luck!

Cheers matey! Im out running each day now, so my times slowly getting better!
Question, whats the icebreaker? havent been told about this as of now

Thanks for the reply mate, appreciated!
Millar

Re: Pre-selection etc booked ..Still got questions!

Post by Millar »

I posted this in a reply to someone asking a similar question, take a read through it as it's my account of how the application process goes and a little on the Ice Breaker:

SELECTION PROCESS AND STAGES

Phone call inviting me down for an informal Interview 1
Interview 1
Presentation
BARB Testing
Basic Skills Testing
Job Selection
Insight Course (week away with Army to see what life is like as a soldier)
IDSC (Initial 1 day selection testing to see if your ready for ADSC and to give you an idea what to expect)
Formal Interview 2
ADSC
Formal Interview 3
Phone call with Basic Training Start Date
Notice Paper Signing
Formal Oath to Queen
Basic Phase 1

BARB Test is a test you will more than likely do first, it's a test you take on a touch screen computer and you are asked a series of fast questions and you must answer as many correctly and quickly as possible.

The Basic Skills Testing is basic GCSE Math and English testing if you want a technical trade you must score rather high for most jobs, so best brush up on your Maths and English if your a little rusty.

Ice Breaker you will have to do at some point,this is were you will stand up infront of strangers and talk about yourself and reasons for joining the Army, the Icebreaker is made up of four sections below:

Personal Details - 30 seconds

Topic - 1 Minute 30 seconds

Reasons for joining the Army - 30 seconds

First Job choice - 30 seconds

(Expect to be asked to do your Ice Breaker more than once on different days, they like to spring it on you from time to time)

IDSC and ADSC

1.5Mile Run
5kg upto 40/45kg power bag lift
25Min PT Lesson
Team Tasks
TST - Technical Trades Testing required for jobs in the Signals and other technical roles (more Maths)
Memory Testing
Practical Grenade Test (dummy Grenades)

IDSC is for 1 day and is a practice fitness day

ADSC is a 2 day fitness and mental testing, I've listed roughly what you should expect

ICE BREAKER MORE INFO

The Icebreaker is made up of four sections below:

Personal Details - 30 seconds

Topic - 1 Minute 30 seconds

Reasons for joining the Army - 30 seconds

First Job choice - 30 seconds

They will not ask you to stop so you can take as long or as little as you like, but the times I have given are the exact times that the Staff will be looking for, so like I said do not talk fast as you will only finish early and won't be doing yourself any favors, most of the time you will have a bored in-front of you to help you to remember which stage you are at, it will read

Personal Details
Topic
Reasons for joining the Army
First job choice

The possible topics are:

Favorite film or TV programme
Favorite hobby or sport
Best holiday (this can be a holiday away or time spent at home during school/work holidays)
Best day
Current job or best subject at school
Alistair14

Post by Alistair14 »

Awesome, thanks for that! cover'd all of my questions!

Ill start training a lot more now i think after reading that!
I just hope ill be able remember it all and actually keep calm if i have to talk infront of everyone! Thats never been my strong point tbh!

Thanks a lot for the replies guys!
Millar

Post by Millar »

Your welcome m8.

Just remember though, everyone that will be watching you will have to do the Ice Breaker at some point also, so there all in the same boat, unless your recruiter does to you what he done to me and made me greet people entering the office with my Ice Breaker, that was nerve racking haha

Keep us informed about how your application goes, and seriously consider doing an "Insight Course" before going much further with your application, they will help with your fitness, your Ice Breaker, and more importantly they will give you a look at life as a Soldier so you can then make a more informative decision about your future and recruiters love it, being able to say I've done a week away with the Army before deciding to join really scored me points on my Ice Breaker.
Alistair14

Post by Alistair14 »

Cheers mate
Yeahh I've been having a check through the list you gave me and I've started thinking of all the answers i can give to them with any one of those questions
I wanna try the insight course, it sounds like a good week and it'll let me see how it'll be in the army life which would be awesome
And even better if it looks good!

Ooh haha, I'd hate to do that, but every little helps with the confidence!
Just reading through the 2 job application sheets i got (Artillery and Engineering driver) and trying to remember as much as i can!
Would it be good to say that my cousins in the Royal horse artillery and my uncle was in the Hussar's as well?

cheers!!
Fent

Post by Fent »

Getting fit is tough, but I was at 19st and joined British Military Fitness.. My fitness has come on no end, I would recommend BMF to anyone trying to get fit and join the military its so much better than gym and if theres a class close to you.. and the first session is free with no pressure to sign.. I would definitley consider it if you can afford mate
Alistair14

Post by Alistair14 »

Fent wrote:Getting fit is tough, but I was at 19st and joined British Military Fitness.. My fitness has come on no end, I would recommend BMF to anyone trying to get fit and join the military its so much better than gym and if theres a class close to you.. and the first session is free with no pressure to sign.. I would definitley consider it if you can afford mate
I've been going gym almost every day, a friend of mines set me up a routeen which is working well! :D