Share This Page:

Boosting Weight Loss

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
LloydL001

Boosting Weight Loss

Post by LloydL001 »

Hi, Im trying to get fit and lose a couple of stone before I apply for the Marines in a couple of years. I have been training for about three weeks and have lost a stone and 4 pounds.

Heres the training routine Ive been doing:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday:
06:00AM - 30 min run
11:00AM - Gym for 2 hours (cross trainer, running machine, weights.etc)
05:00PM - Swimming Pool to swim half a mile

Wednesday, Sunday:
Rest Days.

I would consider my diet to be good, every day I eat weatabix with fruit for breakfast, (Banana before training and orange juice after). For dinner a brown bread ham sandwhich with an apple and for tea, a piece of meat with potatoes, vegetables and rice.

Are there any improvements I could make to this?

Another question I want to ask is Ive just ordered Maximuscle Promax Weight Loss Protein Shake and it says to take after exercise, would you recommend I take this after the gym or the swimming Pool?

Thanks.
In training for PRAC in 2014 :D
Wholley

Re: Boosting Weight Loss

Post by Wholley »

Welcome aboard.
First off,you say'in a couple of years'so the obvious question is what age are you?
Not prying but if you are still in your teens you don't need to tear the bottom out of training.
LloydL001

Post by LloydL001 »

Wholley wrote:Welcome aboard.
First off,you say'in a couple of years'so the obvious question is what age are you?
Not prying but if you are still in your teens you don't need to tear the bottom out of training.
Im 15 years old but I do need to get fit and train hard because before I started I was 15 stone and 3/4 pounds, Im now 14 stone but still want to lose weight. I want to join when I am 18.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

At fifteen your body is still growing and you could do some serious life-long damage to it.
Take it easy on yourself.
Train for PRMC and don't worry about RT your training team will get you there.
I'm not attempting to get you to stop,far from it but if you have a tame gym master at school just tell him what you want and he will help you sensibly.
Your headed for a car wreck if you keep up punishing your body.
Someone more current will pop up soon to give you their advise.

I'm just trying to help and not hinder.

Best,
Wholley.
LloydL001

Post by LloydL001 »

Wholley wrote:At fifteen your body is still growing and you could do some serious life-long damage to it.
Take it easy on yourself.
Train for PRMC and don't worry about RT your training team will get you there.
I'm not attempting to get you to stop,far from it but if you have a tame gym master at school just tell him what you want and he will help you sensibly.
Your headed for a car wreck if you keep up punishing your body.
Someone more current will pop up soon to give you their advise.

I'm just trying to help and not hinder.

Best,
Wholley.
Thanks for your help, when you say "serious long life damage" do you mean to the knees? Also when you say "punishing my body" you mean Im doing too much so what do you recommend? Stopping the run in the morning.etc?
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Yes to all of the above.
Over-training while still growing can cause permanent harm to your whole body.
There is a thread someplace here regarding 'growing pains' don't ignore these or try to work through them.
Some people get them real bad,some don't but they are telling you that you are still growing.
"No Pain,No Gain" is not is not an adage to go by at your age.
Keep in shape,don't push it and like I said speak to your gym teacher

Best,
Wholley.
LloydL001

Post by LloydL001 »

Wholley wrote:Yes to all of the above.
Over-training while still growing can cause permanent harm to your whole body.
There is a thread someplace here regarding 'growing pains' don't ignore these or try to work through them.
Some people get them real bad,some don't but they are telling you that you are still growing.
"No Pain,No Gain" is not is not an adage to go by at your age.
Keep in shape,don't push it and like I said speak to your gym teacher

Best,
Wholley.
Wierd you should say about growing pains, when I first started training for about 1/2 weeks I had a pain in the back of my leg below the knee and was really sharp and stopped me from running sometimes. I didnt do anything about it and trained normally through it and ignored the pain. A week later it went and didnt come back.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

LloydL001 wrote: A week later it went and didnt come back.
YET!

Here's what I was looking at;

http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/ ... =1&t=41389
LloydL001

Post by LloydL001 »

Wholley wrote:
LloydL001 wrote: A week later it went and didnt come back.
YET!

Here's what I was looking at;

http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/ ... =1&t=41389
I read it and yes he described the same pain I was experiencing in my legs where he said some days they were to painful to run on, not in my back or neck though. I only tend to overdo training when Im out of school in the holidays. When I start back school I can only fit in the gym after school and the morning run. If Im not swimming only going to the gym in the night, do you still think Id be overdoing it by getting up early and going for the run?
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Sorry for the late reply Lloyd,brain has been elsewhere recently.
I don't think you should quit your morning run.
IF you enjoy it,go ahead.
I personally have always hated running,but it's horses for courses I guess.
what I don't want to see you do is wreck your body training for something that is unattainable at your age.
I can see you're real keen,I take a look at where your looking sometimes just to make certain you haven't run into a river or ditch someplace :o
One other small issue.
What do your folks think about you becoming a Fearless Defender of Her Majesty's Realm?
My parents couldn't wait to see the back of me but then I was always a problem child 8)( Don't even think about starting,you lot)
You might want to consider "A"Levels,girls(the real smart inventive ones you don't get to meet until sixth form)Intoxicating beverages,fast motorcycles,good music,how cold Norway is,life,the universe and everything before you jump.
LloydL001

Post by LloydL001 »

Wholley wrote:Sorry for the late reply Lloyd,brain has been elsewhere recently.
I don't think you should quit your morning run.
IF you enjoy it,go ahead.
I personally have always hated running,but it's horses for courses I guess.
what I don't want to see you do is wreck your body training for something that is unattainable at your age.
I can see you're real keen,I take a look at where your looking sometimes just to make certain you haven't run into a river or ditch someplace :o
One other small issue.
What do your folks think about you becoming a Fearless Defender of Her Majesty's Realm?
My parents couldn't wait to see the back of me but then I was always a problem child 8)( Don't even think about starting,you lot)
You might want to consider "A"Levels,girls(the real smart inventive ones you don't get to meet until sixth form)Intoxicating beverages,fast motorcycles,good music,how cold Norway is,life,the universe and everything before you jump.
Yeah, I said earlier in this post I tend to overdo it when Im off school in the holidays, but I have got three years until I join so I can just mix it up after school like sometimes go to the gym and sometimes the swimming pool, but If I havent got time after school then I will go running before school. My folks about me becoming a Marine are happy you could say because for the 15 years I havent even wanted to go for a 10 minute walk to the shop so Im going from nothing to everything fitness wise, but obviously they'l be scared to see me going to war. I have considered many choices about my future but Ive narrowed it down to two choices - One being joining the Marines and try my best to becoming SAS or I could have an apprenticeship where I travel around my country fixing the internet and computers for companys, I would get paid starting off at £65,000 a year and expenses paid for hotels, petrol.etc.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Looking back,I know which route I would have taken.
Mind you,back then we used an abacus as the only computer around was at Bletchley Park :D
LloydL001

Post by LloydL001 »

Wholley wrote:Looking back,I know which route I would have taken.
Mind you,back then we used an abacus as the only computer around was at Bletchley Park :D
Had you ever joined the military?
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Yes,twice,in two countries :wink:
LloydL001

Post by LloydL001 »

Wholley wrote:Yes,twice,in two countries :wink:
What parts of the military did you join and what countrys?