Share This Page:

Being Gay in the army -What is it REALLY like, truthfully?

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
MSI64

Re: Being Gay in the army -What is it REALLY like, truthfull

Post by MSI64 »

I know an AAC WO2 who is gay and open about it, and it hasnt done his career any harm at all.
A quality bloke who I have worked with and would gladly work with him anytime, a true profesional, its not his fault that he is Air Corps, some people are just born wierd lol
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
ofens

Post by ofens »

May I be the mock journalist
Yes, because if anyone says no you'll get wound up about it and tell us how unfair it is;
and say, Do you have anything you'd like to add?
Yes, seeing as you have offered, I'd like to add that you're just winding us all up, despite our genuine efforts to address your questions and concerns.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
kzy86

Post by kzy86 »

ofens wrote:
Yes, because if anyone says no you'll get wound up about it and tell us how unfair it is;

-OH LOOK ANOTHER PRESUMPTION. WHAT A SURPRISE
Yes, seeing as you have offered, I'd like to add that you're just winding us all up, despite our genuine efforts to address your questions and concerns.
WHAT COULD IT BE? YES, ANOTHER PRESUMPTION. YES BECAUSE MY SOLE INTENTION IS TO WIND MILITARY PERSONNEL THAT ARE TRYING TO OFFER ME ADVICE ISN'T IT? HMM. MAYBE U JUST DON'T LIKE THE FACT THAT I ACTUALLY HAVE A PAIR OF BALLS AND AM PREPARED TO CHALLENGE THINGS SAID THAT I'M NOT 100% HAPPY WITH OR I AM UNSURE OF, TO MAKE SURE I FULLY UNDERSTAND.

I'D RATHER BE A LION THAN A SHEEP

Moderator, i hereby apologise. I was under the impression you were able to delete those posts but you cannot, so although you probably still think i'm a prentencious idiot, i am man enough to admit when i am wrong, so sorry about that. And i now take on board what you have said.
SotonMatt

Post by SotonMatt »

kzy86 wrote:
ofens wrote:

-OH LOOK ANOTHER PRESUMPTION. WHAT A SURPRISE
WHAT COULD IT BE? YES, ANOTHER PRESUMPTION. YES BECAUSE MY SOLE INTENTION IS TO WIND MILITARY PERSONNEL THAT ARE TRYING TO OFFER ME ADVICE ISN'T IT? HMM. MAYBE U JUST DON'T LIKE THE FACT THAT I ACTUALLY HAVE A PAIR OF BALLS AND AM PREPARED TO CHALLENGE THINGS SAID THAT I'M NOT 100% HAPPY WITH OR I AM UNSURE OF, TO MAKE SURE I FULLY UNDERSTAND.

I'D RATHER BE A LION THAN A SHEEP

Moderator, i hereby apologise. I was under the impression you were able to delete those posts but you cannot, so although you probably still think i'm a prentencious idiot, i am man enough to admit when i am wrong, so sorry about that. And i now take on board what you have said.
If you want my honest advice, cancel your application and do not join the Army or any armed force for that matter. This is nothing to do with your sexuality, but your bad attitude. You asked for advice and you have dismissed every single piece of advice given as an assumption about your sexuality.

It's truly frightening that somebody as irrational and foul tempered as yourself used to be a Police Officer and would even consider becoming a RMP.

Good luck.
Tab

Post by Tab »

These are Forums where there should be an open discussion, whether the posts are directed at me or not. If it is a honest comment that is not offensive then it can stay there. I got far worse insults when I was in the Army, and in those days the NCO's had an interesting phrase book which would never be allowed today.
ofens

Post by ofens »

Being Gay in the army -What is it REALLY like, truthfully?
Fabulous, hun! :smilecolros:
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
kzy86

Post by kzy86 »

If you want my honest advice, cancel your application and do not join the Army or any armed force for that matter. This is nothing to do with your sexuality, but your bad attitude. You asked for advice and you have dismissed every single piece of advice given as an assumption about your sexuality.

It's truly frightening that somebody as irrational and foul tempered as yourself used to be a Police Officer and would even consider becoming a RMP.

Good luck.[/quote]

SotonMatt, it might be worth looking in the mirror here. All you are doing is highlighting further, my point about presumptions. You yourself are doing it now. I do not have a bad attitude at all, I have an open mind, unlike yourself who has a closed mind and doesn't even know me. Perhaps it's time to close this post. It's getting very weary.
I have apologised for some of the things I said earlier in this post because I have realised I am wrong at some points and I take full responsibility for them. If you had bothered to read all of this post, you would see my rationality.
And there is no need for personal insults about my previous job. I left for my own reasons and own choice and with a good record -no disciplinary matters. I feel the tone of that comment was entirely inappropriate.
swanseastilo

Post by swanseastilo »

I wish you posted this in the naffi on arrse. Your really agrivating.

Dont join the army because you wont last long not for being a fag but for having a serious attitude problem.
WOW! That hurt.

Post by WOW! That hurt. »

Ok, this is an obvious prank and kzy86 is having a laugh; that, or an absolutely hopeless human being.
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw
wallowallo

Post by wallowallo »

"swanseastilo" and "WOW that hurt" you really are a bunch of grade A idiots. Grow up and pick on someone with your own intellect, which shouldn't be many.

"Kzy86", its your life so do what you gotta do. Your anger could prove useful if used in the right way of course and when it is controlled, so chill out mate and don't let the dinosaurs wind you up, i don't. :) They'll go extinct soon enough and will be replaced by improved replacements.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Its really very simple
If you dont make a big deal about it then no one will care,If your going to swap spit and touch each other up in public ie The Naafi bar then prepare for some stick from some people.
And before you go off on one about doing what ever you like, I would say the same if you were straight too.
I would scope out your colleagues too, find out how they feel, Respect for personal choice is a two way thing.
And if you dont get promoted look at yourself and your work ethic first before screaming Discrimination.
Oh and as a last parting shot Us dinosaurs as someone on here put it, where/are the guys who trained and mentored you young up and coming warriors. Never forget that!!
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
wallowallo

Post by wallowallo »

When i said dinosaurs, i was referring to the SOME, i repeat, some of the old homophobic elite from years gone by who are gradually fading out. Some of whom, are still here unfortunately, there's no denying that, let's get realistic.
Obviously i wasn't referring to every senior officer in the army, because many of them are cracking men and women of whom we all owe a lot to for our training and general guidenance. By jove, you people are sensitive! If u ask me you all need to chill out, i'm on your side! I think there has been a lot of misunderstanding on the forum reading back, on both sides. Relax people!!
AIRBUS

Post by AIRBUS »

There are Gay soldiers in literaly every cap badge in the british army !
At all ranks and all corps
Junior Ranks, Nco and Officers .

There are Clerks,Sappers,Logis,Medics,Infantry,Cavalry, Paras (yes even paras), Mi,Signals all of whom are bloody good soldiers who also just happen to be gay.

There are even Recruiters,Instructors and RMP who just happen to be Gay

I know cos I fall in to 2 of the 3 above.

99.9% of whom you wouldnt know were gay unless you happened to be told as they have no need or want to be treated any differently to any other person.
I fall in to the slightly smaller sub group of those serving gay soldiers who have a partner also in the Army (and in my case the same cap badge!)

Those of our Military friends who know, without exception have accepted the situation and treat us no differently,indeed, The guys I play (army) rugby with have even come along and supported when I have played rugby for a gay team, Although they were slightly miffed that the gayers drank them under the table post match!
Conversely the army rugby guys made the gayers equally welcome at Army v Navy at Twickenham.

Whilst im happy to have some areas of army life collide with my personal life I firmly dont flaunt my sexuality, I do how ever have a postcard on my desk which sums this whole thread up !:

"Some Soldiers are GAY ...... Get over it !" :turn-l:

I have only once encountered homophobic comment and the person concerned soon found that whilst hell hath no fury :bad-words: like a 6'3" scorned gay soldier with badly spelt graffiti keyed on his day old sports car, The RMP took the issue very seriously- Justice was swift and effective !

Regulations change swiftly ...Attitudes took slightly longer ....

As MSI64 clearly said : If you dont make a big deal about it no one cares ! :lol:
So you want peace ? Freedom ?
never together
swanseastilo

Post by swanseastilo »

wallowallo wrote:When i said dinosaurs, i was referring to the SOME, i repeat, some of the old homophobic elite from years gone by who are gradually fading out. Some of whom, are still here unfortunately, there's no denying that, let's get realistic.
Obviously i wasn't referring to every senior officer in the army, because many of them are cracking men and women of whom we all owe a lot to for our training and general guidenance. By jove, you people are sensitive! If u ask me you all need to chill out, i'm on your side! I think there has been a lot of misunderstanding on the forum reading back, on both sides. Relax people!!
Who said im homophobic hes just a first class pr1ck
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

kzy86 wrote: ...And there is no need for personal insults about my previous job. I left for my own reasons and own choice and with a good record -no disciplinary matters. I feel the tone of that comment was entirely inappropriate.
And with a swish of his golden locks and a dismissive shrug of his broad...almost MASCULINE shoulders, Mr K-Y gathered up his manbag and flounced off into the sunset, never to be heard from on this forum again.....

The End.

Meanwhile, for gay lads and lasses using this forum and doing a search on whether the army is going to be the job for them and a comfortable environment for someone who is gay, read the comments above...the SENSIBLE ones (which automatically excludes the comments from kzy with his hair-trigger sexuality sensitivity alarm).... you'll get the idea that the forces are becoming more inclusive. It's the way of the world and the forces are starting to reflect that. There are far more soldiers from different ethnic backgrounds these days throughout all cap badges for instance. And there are also far more gay soldiers (I assume? Dangerous I know.... kzy may be watching...) than there used to be. Primarily this is because the legislation is there to protect them and ensure there is no discrimination (or physical abuse), which wasn't there in the 'good old days'....

But I don't think anyone would truly say that someone who is OVERTLY gay would last 5 minutes at the beginning of the whole joining up process.... (This is blokes I'm talking about.) Lipstick before parade, posters of Gareth Thomas, Gay Pride T-shirts in the NAAFI bar and asking lads in your troop if they want to come round to your accommodation "coz you're wanting to spit-roast your boyfriend" is NOT going to go down too well.

In The Beginning.... you are broken down and reshaped from a civvy slob into a soldier. If you're determined to stand out from the crowd by waving the Gay Flag then expect the hyenas to circle. Everything that goes wrong in training will be SOMEONE's fault and it'll be yours...

However, if you keep your own business as your own business and don't try thrusting anything down anyone's throat, you'll be fine. As has been said... somewhere along the line, after you've been in a year or two, after you've survived the whole learning process, after you've got pissed with the lads, been on ops, started doing some of the 'things' you wanted to do when you first decided to join the army, and are known as a 'good bloke'... if THEN it comes out that you're gay, your mates wouldn't bat an eyelid.