Share This Page:

cadets

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
taylor5788

cadets

Post by taylor5788 »

does ne1 ere go air cadets n do they enjoy it? cos i go but im thinkin of quittin cos its got a bit borin.
redorchestra

Post by redorchestra »

I was in 1582 Stanford-Le-Hope (near Basildon) squadron...I used to really enjoy it, but our numbers eventually just dwindled away to nothing until there was only about three of us left, and all we did was clean the floor each time we met up :P I was just getting into heavy metal at the time too and wanted to grow long hair, so I left in 1997 :)
lew

Post by lew »

We have cadets use the building next to my TAC, all I can say is un sociable little buggers!!! And very rude...

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
redorchestra

Post by redorchestra »

I must admit, I met a lot of arseholes when I was in the ATC. There was a lot of 'little Hitler' type people, who got a tiny little bit of authority and thought they were Stalin or something...one NCO in particular made my life a bit of a misery until I learnt to stand up for myself. That's one good thing about the ATC I suppose, I did learn not to put up with any shit from people.
Topper

Post by Topper »

There are loads of interesting things to do in the ATc, the problem with most boring squadrons is the staff. They tend to be apathetic to the needs of most cadets. If you want to go and do the fun stuff, get to the squadron early on parade nights and intercept the mail before the staff get it. Theres always letters from Wing about camps at Arkitori, flying details, adventure training courses etc. If you get the details of these you can get yourself on them by your own effort or pester the staff, as a lot of the staff are inefficent and by the time they are arsed to announce it the thing has been and gone.
Twenty One

Post by Twenty One »

Topper it is obvious that the Staff with the ATC don't have the interests at heart of the members who want to partake in all activities whether visiting RAF Stations or what ever.It seems that enthusiastic youngsters are frowned upon by those who are there to recruit potential recruits for the RAF.

Is there any other channels that they can go through in order to get to do the things that made them interested in joining the ATC in the first place.

If you want something pester the arse off those who are in charge and get things done. :) :) :) :) :)
Dissent Protects Democracy,Gezza Brek!
voodoo sprout

Post by voodoo sprout »

I was in the air cadets (CCF) for four years, and had loads of good experiences. Our unit was from quite a high flying school so we had a lot of places fpor flying etc, and I think I managed about eight air experience flights plus rides in VC10's and Pumas, which was a mixed bag but generally positive :). We also were very clsoe to an active army section and went on their camps, so I was able to do a fair amount of infantry stuff, including using the L86 LSW which has to be one of the most enjoyable thigns I did, and overall the experience was good. However after a few years the RAF section was digging up the dregs of the recruits, those who wanted the fun but couldn't be bothered with army discipline, and after and real organisation and maturity was left behind, I was happy to leave. On the plus side though I reached the rank of cadet flight sergeant which might be handy on a CV, not to mention helping greatly in character building :).

So I would say that while you may not enjoy it, it's definitely worth a try as there is great potential if you want it. But if of course you're already doign it but inding it boring, then staying in will only mean you're giving lessons rather than listening to them so it might not improve to your liking.
Fluffy bunnies - Grrrrr!
rawli

Post by rawli »

i am currently an NCO at 1249 (dereham) squadron and I have had a number of different experiences with staff in the corps. There are a whole range, for the first 2 years we had a bored CO who was going to leave as soon as replacemtn was found and surprise surprise we did very little in the way of activities. Since the arrival of our new CO and a whole new SHQ the squadron morale has increased significantly. If you get on a good squadron then it can be excellent, get on a poor one then it can get very boring.
Eat pie and fly - That's the multi-engined way
RAF Mancunian

Post by RAF Mancunian »

I have have now been in the ATC for 2 years and and up until a couple of months ago, was finding some aspects of it boring. However, I was promoted to Corporal 2 months ago, and this has given me responsibility, and has kept me interested. Also, there are some great oppurtunities for cadets. I have have just come home from a Leadership course at RAF Stafford. This is a very intense week in terms of the physical demands that you have to complete. The week was the same as a week of Intinial Officer Training and many were sent home because they did not reach or maintatin the "required standards." Next january, I am going cross-country skiing with the RAF Regiment as well. Ask you CO about what camps and courses are available, try and get on a few and hopefully you will start to enjoy yourself. :fadein:
rawli

Post by rawli »

is that the cross country skiing to nordic?
Eat pie and fly - That's the multi-engined way
B_H100

Post by B_H100 »

I agree 100 percent with Topper regarding his comment about Adult Staff in the ATC. Most of the adult staff on my squadron just sit in their rooms sipping coffee all night. In addition, the highest ranked Cadet, (F/Sgt on our Squadron), sits with them all evening, discussing things such as `what did you do last night?`, leaving me, the 2nd highest ranked Cadet, in charge to organise events and activities. Not that I mind the responsibility, as I aim to be an Officer in the RAF one day, but it really P*sses me off when the F/Sgt comes up to me and tells me how the CO and himself think that I don't do enough on the Squadron. Another thing that goes against the ATC is the fact that Promotion tends to be based on who is in the CO's good books and not on merit, compared to the ACF, where you need be qualified for certain ranks.

I have had alot out of Cadets such as leadership courses, Gliding Schol, Overseas camp etc., but recently have considered leaving and doing something else with my time, that is more geared toward a career in the Armed Forces - there is not even any fitness training in the ATC.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

You should give the Sea Cadets a try. Usually, well motivated staff, enthusiatic cadets and loads to do. though I guess you'll always get one Unit that doesn't come up to scratch.

Both my kids were involved and had a fantastic time.

Whichever (ATC, ACF, SC etc...) you're in, you're right it is down to the staff as to how successful the Unit is. If it ain't working, complain up the line. Or leave, registering your complaint in writing to the relevant authorities.

(I was in the ATC [back in 1960] and had a great time - gliding, flights in Chipmunks, weeks at RAF stns, aircraft recognition, going for the next 'rank' etc...... - don't they exist anymore?)
mattt_h

Post by mattt_h »

i used to be in ACf it was a good laugh untill i moved house and therfore into a new company which was less intense and i decided to leave after 6 months in new comp 3 .5yrs total
Because i am
RobT

Post by RobT »

yeh i did atc for a few years. Was a good laugh and you do things which would amaze your mates at school.."oh yeah and i a qualified to shoot the L98 so nerrr" sorta thing. Give a 16 yr old corpral badges and he/she become utter dick heads

Girls get treated realy differently...and it must be the same in all forces situations..they cry alot lol
Batfink

Post by Batfink »

B_H100 wrote: Most of the adult staff on my squadron just sit in their rooms sipping coffee all night.
I really feel for you!!!! Way back when i was a cadet we saw plenty of this stuff going on. BUT, things are a changing!!!

I'm now a Civilian Instructor with a squadron in Berkshire. Ours seems quite unique compared to most other units I've come across. We've got 50 cadets, 14 members of staff, of which only 4 are uniformed - the other 10 being CIs.

Its becoming increasingly the case that we (the staff) don't have time to sit around drinking tea in the office - we're normally too pushed doing paperwork for the cadets, events, or organising kit, sports or weekend activities!!!
B_H100 wrote: In addition, the highest ranked Cadet, (F/Sgt on our Squadron), sits with them all evening, discussing things such as `what did you do last night?`
Unfortunately this still happens - ours is a CWO - he doesn't sit with the staff though - we can't stand him because he's so lazy - we just ignore him!
B_H100 wrote: Another thing that goes against the ATC is the fact that Promotion tends to be based on who is in the CO's good books and not on merit, compared to the ACF, where you need be qualified for certain ranks.
Again, this may be the case on other squadron, but ours seems to differ. It isn't something which i agree with, but on our unit promotion is earned according to time served, rather than respect and leadership. Several cadets deserve to have been promoted but haven't because of they are not "old enough" - it has annoyed a large number of the staff, BUT, as with all things in the forces, it is the COs discretion!
B_H100 wrote: there is not even any fitness training in the ATC
You just need to find yourself a PT qualified Instructor. We are lucky enough to of had an instructor pushed through the RAFs PTI course, these things do exist, you've just got to get a suicidial instructor to do one!
My wings are like a shield of steel... only they're made of kevlar!