Share This Page:

Fighting Passions

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
JunkBox

Fighting Passions

Post by JunkBox »

Right lads spotted this today

BBC 2 Fighting Passions 24th May 22.30

"Following the journy of 5 soldiers from young recruits through their training to front line action. They talk about the reality of combat and where it has left them today".

Sounds interesting I'd say, particually for people (my self included) who are interested in joining.
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

Good find mate, any info on what regiment/corps they are coming from or is it a mix?
just_me

Re: Fighting Passions

Post by just_me »

BBC Website wrote:Documentary featuring interviews with soldiers on the act that defines them: killing.

For civilians, it is a crime. For soldiers, it is a job. Soldiers who have done it usually do not talk about it, but five former British infantrymen recall the reality of combat in compelling and candid detail. Through powerful personal testimonies, the programme traces the journeys of these men, from young recruits through training and frontline combat to where killing places them today.
TV Guide wrote:Documentary challenging common perceptions of war, using the personal testimony of former soldiers from conflicts in the Falklands to Afghanistan to examine the fear and anticipation of combat, the bonds of friendship formed under fire and the feelings of exhilaration to arise out of battle. The programme also looks at how troops cope with normal life in the aftermath of war
Both slightly different descriptions :-? but I will definetly watch it, thanks for the ehads up.
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Great find mate, cheers.
JunkBox

Post by JunkBox »

I'll be honest with you's from reading the stuff about it, I can't help but think that it mainly going to be a negative view point that they're going to put across. We'll have to see though. Hopefully some of the older members on the fourm will be able to tell us afterwards if what they said is spot on what.

Mike90, I'm gonna guess it's going to be a mix of regiments mate.
JunkBox

Post by JunkBox »

So anyone watch it what you's think?

I thought it was quite interesting like..
just_me

Post by just_me »

I saw it and thought it was a decent watch.
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Yeah was not to bad, at the start when that woman was doing the intro I though here we go again, slander against the armed forces but did'nt go that way thankfully. The of the soldiers spoke with real passion and that soldier who was disabled who said i'd rather kill a human than a rabbit :-?. I could never really understand were they were comming from never been in that situation but still really interesting.
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

Thought it was pretty sobering (said when pissed :drinking:), especially the bloke talking about stabbing someone with his bayonet and having to finish him off. Not nice stuff.
matt_c

Post by matt_c »

It gave a really interesting insight of a combat situation and was really thought provoking especially hearing there perception of what they had to endure mentally “I remember thinking that it was not morally as hard as I thought it would be to kill a man, but it was a lot more physically demanding” some of there views were quite hard to understand from a civy perspective I think you would have to be in a combat situation before you can fully contemplate and appreciate what they went through.