Share This Page:

royal navy divers selection tests

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
Wicksieboiirafreg

royal navy divers selection tests

Post by Wicksieboiirafreg »

Hi

Can anyone tell me what the selection tests are for the royal navy mine clearance divers are. I was thinking of applying but id like to know more about them first.

Thankyou :D

Post by 30036091 »

normal normal, medical in AFCO, same as everyone else, once completed phase 1 at raleigh, in phase 2, you will have a chest ex-ray, vitelegraph, these have a very low failure rate, then you will be sent for Submarine Escape Training Tank, SETT, if you fail any of them you will have the option of going service fleet with a branch choice depending on what you scored on the phychometrical test. Then you will arrive at SMQ :P dont fail SMQ as this will get you discharged.

Also you cant join as a mine clearance diver, you will join as a diver,
once your a leading hand you can side branch to a mine clearance diver.
gav

Divers Tests

Post by gav »

As a serving Clearance Diver not too sure the information you've been given is correct.

1st Get in touch with your local careers office, they can book you on a 3 day course to get an in sight as life as a Diver.

The bit aboout having to be a Leading Hand and sidewards entry. Again phone your local careers office to check but as far as I'm aware the branch is currently open to direct entrys - (people from civvy street) but depending on numbers they do close the doors and you do have join via another branch. However you never will have to be a Leading Hand. I know there's a shortage of divers and we're pretty keen to recruit good lads.

Yes you undergo a thorough medical - mainly the same as any other entry but once at Raleigh you have the chest x-ray, vitalagraph, (blowing into a tube for a few seconds), ECG etc. They will pick up on anything I joined up with lads who could run like whippets but for some reason failed the medical. But you'll know yourself if you should worry about the medical. If you never have had any medical problems and are pretty fit nothing to worry about.

Once out of Raleigh you have to pass a weeks long Diving aptitude - this will test whether or not 1. The branch is for you or 2. You'll make the grade. You'll have to be fit but the actual physical requirements are not hard but it will become clear to the instructors if they want you.

Physical tests. Mile and half under 10.5 mins - But looking more around 9 mins. 16 dips. 8 pull ups - (under arm) and basically as many sit ups you can do in 2 mins.

You pass the aptitude you'll start your training. Info on this can be googled or even go on facebook search for the group Royal Navy Clearance Divers I'm sure if you have any more questions plenty of the lads will help you out.
gav

Navy Divers

Post by gav »

Oh and by the way if you join as a Diver you will be a Mine Clearance Diver. There is no other diver in the Navy. There were Ships Diver's lads who were in a another branch but had undergone a basic 4 week diving course. Some did call themselves Navy divers. Ships's Divers are now no more.