Share This Page:

Cockleshell Heroes

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
Dangermouse

Cockleshell Heroes

Post by Dangermouse »

I know this is quite a common book and probably has been recommended/discussed a billion times before, but i'd strongly recommend it for anyone, especially those wanting to join the Royal Marines.

The book has been staring me in the face for a year from my bookshelf and for some unknown reason I never got round to reading it. I started reading it the other day and am now near the end (the escape). I think it demonstrates the committement that will be asked of you in terms of fitness, mental strength, determination and a positive mentality, and I can see now why it is regarded so highly in the Royal.

You can learn far more about the Marines ethos in this book than many others written by Marines or about them. And its far more interesting and captivating than the SAS autobiographies about.

C.E Lucas Phillips was one hell of a good story teller too, though I think I was partly put off reading it because I thought his other book, The Greatest Raid, was a bit slow in parts.
Ste Preece

Great Read

Post by Ste Preece »

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Bill Sparks (The author) Said he was just the messenger from the team, who carried out this daring and courageous operation.

I would strongly recommend the film too. Its an absolute classic.

regards

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
adamb

Post by adamb »

I have a book ' The MARINES were there' by Sir Robert Bruck Lockhart, k.c.m.g.

I havn't gotten round to reading it, don't really like reading. Anyone read this book?