Share This Page:

help please i have a friend who needs answers

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
azard9330

help please i have a friend who needs answers

Post by azard9330 »

What is the maximum age that the Royal Navy stop recruiting for fixed wing pilots?
How long is the actual training?
Is it true that when you reach a certain age you cannot fly fixed wing planes?
Is there a height limit? Im 6ft 2"

Are there any Royal Navy Fixed Wing Pilots. Help much appreciated.
psychometric test- passed
eye test- passed
interview- passed
medical- passed
pjft- passed
prmc- passed
rt- 5th of november
will996

Post by will996 »

Hi mate,

Ive been through the AIB and aptitude tests for pilot. Im 6ft 3 and had no problems height wise, although the key measurement is buttuck to knee length so as you are compatible with ejection seats. I believe the max age for RN pilots is 26, they recruit pilots into generic flying training and then stream them fixed wing or rotary at the end of elementary flying training depending on ability. There are only two operational RN Harrier Sqns so you have to be pretty tasty to get on fast jet.

You probably know this but to go pilot you first need to be an officer so there is the hurdle of AIB which is competitive for aircrew. You also need to pass aptitude tests up at RAF Cranwell. If you (or your mate) is giving it a bash then do maths, maths and more maths, the rest is innate ability.

Good luck mate!
will996

Post by will996 »

Forgot to mention , for fixed wing you are looking at 3 years before you get on Harrier. You have to first complete officer training, elementary flying training, basic FJ training at Linton on Ouse, advanced FJ training at RAF Valley then you will head off to an operational conversion unit where they teach you how to operate the Harrier, this is done at RAF Wittering. So if you mate is near maximum age now (26) he could be 30 by the time he gets operational. When you compare this to an 18 year old entrant being operational at 22 there is a big difference in the amount of time the RN are going to get back out of you due to your age. The 22 year old would have been on ops nearly 10 years before the 26 year old had become fully operational. For this reason I was told that the RN like to invest their millions in the younger guys. (any serving RN pilots correct me if i'm wrong).
_chris

Post by _chris »

Why don't you try for the RAF if you're after fixed wing, as no matter what the Navy like to say they are going to lose their fixed wing capability totally soon. While its not guaranteed many are starting to think its extremely likely, the harrier force is basicly under total RAF control anyway through JFH , with the RAF now opertaing off carriers theres is no requirement for the FAA to operate fixed wing, and I doubt that the navy will keep the independant capapbility much logner. Also even if the navy do get to keep their harriers (FJCA when it comes) your still limited to that one choice only rather than the many options that will be available in the RAF.