Share This Page:

Introducing myself and asking a question

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
KO

Introducing myself and asking a question

Post by KO »

Well firstly my names Kieran and I'm 15 years and 10 months old :D.

I was going to apply for royal marines but after going to a careers fair in the SECC in glasgow i spoke to a navy recruitment officer and he told me all the other options and then asked what i was intrested in and i said computers is my strong point. He said a Weapons Engineer is a good choice, then went on to say theres a 13 Month waiting list, and a 2 Month waiting list for the same job in a sub.

Basically, Is it worth the wait, if yes, Is it worth going into subs for the extra cash or is it better to wait the 13 months. If No, What other branches/jobs should i consider.

Thanks in advance for your help guys
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

To me, it's not about the waiting, it's about the career. It depends on what you want to do, just because one pays a little more money, doesn't mean you will enjoy it. If you want the Weapons Engineer, go for it and get a little life experience (highly recommended) while you are wait for your turn. If you would prefer to work in a sub as a Weapons Engineer, then go for that, you may miss out on the civvy life experience but it will be a fast track to a job you want to do, but that is only if you want to do it. Again, if it was up to me how long I have to wait wouldn't come into it, It's what I want to happen. I may be wrong here but wouldn't that longer waiting list mean it was more popular? Why don't you look up some information about working and living in a submarine.
KO

Post by KO »

Thanks for your reply mate, Ive read a bit about life in the sub service and i think ill wont go for it because i probably wouldnt be able to stand it and as you say i may you may miss out on the civvy life experience, And i suppose if i wait for 13 Months it gives me a little time get a wee job anyway and have something on my cv
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Ahoy there Kieran!

Welcome aboard matey.

I totally agree with Stinky, whatever you do needs to be the right choice for you and the good thing about it is you have plenty of time to decide. Do not rush into anything. There are some good sites on the net that may be more RN orientated have a look.

Also may be worth and popping into your local AFCO and having a chat with both a recruitment bod for both RN and RM and getting both sides

Best of luck for whatever you decide young man.

Beo

What is the SECC btw?
KO

Post by KO »

Thanks Again mate.

The SECC is an exhibiton centre, lots of music events there but sometimes over stuff like careers fairs and plays ;P

I phoned the recuritment people and im going into the afco on tuesday :)