Share This Page:

Joining RMR

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
Bennie

Joining RMR

Post by Bennie »

Hello, I was going to join the regular marines up untill yesterday, where I had to change my mind due to unforseen circumstances.

Im now interested in RMR, my nearest detachment is plymouth, but a lad told me that they only have two intakes per year, and if I applied in between the two I would have to wait in a holding troop. This would be bristol I beleive, however going to bristol every wednesday is not practical for me because I live in cornwall, also I have zero money. Does anyone know when I should apply to get streight onto a course, and miss the holding troop?

Also what is the fitness like? I can run 3 miles in about 21.45 is that good enough?

Id like to get on the nearest course possible so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and also is it true that the training is 18-24 months long, not that it matters because I have plenty of time on my hands.
Rompton

Post by Rompton »

ben i spoke to rob hes dead set on 131 isnt he. you made your decision then, i pm you in a mo. one question though to rmr people after having received the green lid is it possible to just simply leave. and never be mobilized, not that i would ever do that its just that people are sayin you can leave the rmr/ta whenever you want, seems a waste to me. dont you have to daor or summin?
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

yeah its a volunteer force so you can leave when you want unless circumstances don't permit it.
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october
Bennie

Post by Bennie »

Cool thanks borisimo, are you in RMR, if so what is it like? also im not sure when the intakes for plymouth are, have you any ideas?
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Hello Bennie,

Plymouth detachment is part of RMR Bristol. RMR Bristol’s next intake is at the end of March.

There are only two intakes a year (RMR Bristol) with each Phase taking six months, from what I have found out most other RMR units only recruit once a year or every 7-8 months.

To be selected at the next intake in March you will have to have completed all the pre-joining application forms, tests and medicals. You can only join the Holding Troop once this is done.

If you are serious about joining then you will have to travel to Bristol on the first Wednesday of the month, next Wednesday for a induction evening. You will then be given the paperwork and a presentation on what is required. You can then start the process and get it all done for March when you could start training.

In March you must be fit enough or you may have to wait until the next selection. You will be assessed on your fitness. This is the main reason for the Holding troop, to get potential recruits up to the required standard of physical fitness for Phase 1.

Do you have a local AFCO, is so it may be worth popping in there to discuss this. They may though tell you to attend the presentation evening next week.

Good luck with it dude and let us know how you get on.
Bennie

Post by Bennie »

Cheers mate, I gave them a ring and they said I can go to a presentation evening at the plymouth one, thanks for the intake details im going to train hard for it. Hopefully with I will be able to get on that next intake.

Cheers
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

That's good news mate, makes it alot easier when it is more local. Get stuck in and let us know how things go? May see you around, as may transfer over to Bristol to do Phase 1 when fit again.
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Things have changed I believe, I went to the induction evening at Bristol at the beginning of this month. They no longer have a selection weekend as such, once your paperwork is complete they get you in assess your fitness and issue you with nod beret, combats and boots. You then do the Phys with Phase 1 as a holding troop until March when the intake is.

In March you are then assessed again and may have to undertake an RMFA and if you are fit enough to start Phase 1 you will do. If you are not you remain in holding troop until Sept.

This is a new thing and completely different to London, I went through the admin process with London and as you said you trained in holding troop the week after the presentation.

I think the process has been changed to get the numbers up in Bristol, I was told that they had 48 odd starting Phase 1 in Sept. I reckon this must be across all the dets though.