Share This Page:

Nearest RMR to Aber and next intake?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
Bliartheliar

Nearest RMR to Aber and next intake?

Post by Bliartheliar »

Anybody know what the nearest unit is to Aberystwyth in Wales? Is it Liverpool or Bristol? Also, when is the next intake?
Doc

Post by Doc »

possibly Cardiff...a sub unit of RMR Bristol.
Bliartheliar

Post by Bliartheliar »

But wouldnt I still need to travel to Bristol regulary?
Wee Willy Winkie

Post by Wee Willy Winkie »

unless its changed from when my dad was in RMR, you only have to go once or twice a week for a couple of hours a night and then the odd training weekend in a month. but as i say, anybody with more up to date info. ?W.W>W
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
Bliartheliar

Post by Bliartheliar »

I would like to have a go at RMR selection and spend time in it while at uni, joining the corps propers afterwards. However this will probably be unlikely because I doubt a 8hr round trip every wednesday would be convenient.

I wont be able to do OTC now untill next year at least, but I could join the local TA unit (Royal Welsh Regiment). But to be honest, with uni work, part time employment, socials, sports and getting fit, I doubt ill have enough time to join any military outfit at the moment. Im just going to have to explore my options, but its getting more likely that ill just have to settle with buying a bergan and a car, and going walking in the Black Mountains every fortnight or so.

Plenty of time for a military career later though, so I cant moan. I may as well just enjoy my time at uni and get fit as f@#k. Not to mention the 20 or so clubs and societies ive joined.
Skiffle

Re: Nearest RMR to Aber and next intake?

Post by Skiffle »

Bliartheliar wrote:Anybody know what the nearest unit is to Aberystwyth in Wales? Is it Liverpool or Bristol? Also, when is the next intake?
Your nearest RMR unit would be Cardiff Detachment under RMR Bristol. The next intake will now be Feb/Mar time as they have two per year (other is Jun/Jul time).

Training requirements, you would have to do one training evening a week (Wed evening) and two weekends a month for recruit training.

As for travelling to Bristol on a regular basis, all your training would take place at your nearest detachment (Cardiff) with the exception of weekends which will take place at any number of training areas in the south west area. Mostly it will take place at Woodbury common.
Chaos, Disorder, Destruction.....My work here is done!

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.