Share This Page:

was it SAS that shot suspect doay in london?

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

yeah we knew about the body thing SO19, not to mention the fact a body shot is not likely an instant kill giving time to detonate etc...

curious though, why low velocity rounds..?
SP

The line between BS and PC is thin and blurry
Doc

Post by Doc »

less chance of richochet inside buildings, and less chance of passing through the terrorist and onto a bystanders head.
Hostage_Negotiator

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

A penetrating missile transfers energy to the surrounding tissues. Impact imparts a temporary pressure wave perpendicular to the path of the bullet, accelerating tissue forward and sideways. The force generated is such that the tissue particles, because of inertia, continue moving after the missile passes. This expands the tract into a temporary cavity up to 30 times the original cross-sectional area. This quickly collapses on itself.

Superimposed on these pressure waves are shock waves directly related to the velocity of the missile. Tissue elasticity, hemorrhage, and edema are the factors influencing cavity collapse. All structures in the bullet track are destroyed or pushed aside. A smaller permanent pathway marked by vapor bubbles, hemorrhage, bullet fragments, and sometimes bone chips is left behind.

When projectiles penetrate living tissue, the injury is directly related to the amount of energy transferred to the target. This is expressed by the equation: E = mv2 / 2 where E = energy transferred, m = mass of the missile, v = velocity of the missile. Thus, wounding capacity is most directly related to the energy imparted by the missile's velocity as it violates tissue. Bullets are lead projectiles covered by a copper or brass jacket. Jacketed bullets are more likely to fragment on impact. A fully jacketed round travels further and is more accurate than a hollow point or "dum-dum"(crap H'wood name!), which is designed to deform on impact, increasing its effective diameter. The shape and consistency of a bullet greatly influence the nature of the wound. Hollow, soft type bullets will deform on impact, thus increasing their area of contact with tissue. The release of energy to tissue is enhanced, thus causing more extensive damage. This type of bullet is less likely to exit from the target.

Aggressors stop for one of three reasons:

1. They have a psychological reaction to being shot.

2. They have a neurological reaction to being shot.

3. Blood pressure loss.

The facts are that these items are relatively independent of handgun bullet caliber.

The only certain way to double the bullet's effectiveness is to put another hole in the assailant. This causes 100% more damage.
Doc

Post by Doc »

in other words he'll drop and no one else close by will get hit accidently. :lol:
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Earl-Grey, three sugars please. 8)

Seriously though, I really feel for the chap who had to make this judgment, he's no doubt under-going some intense scrutiny right now. The Government really has to realise that once these trained professionals are given the responsibility to make the decisions they do, you cant just shit on them willy nilly when they actually put it into practice.

Sadly though, this is an ever increasing trend under this Government.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
Hostage_Negotiator

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

SO19 wrote:
Seriously though, I really feel for the chap who had to make this judgment, he's no doubt under-going some intense scrutiny right now. The Government really has to realise that once these trained professionals are given the responsibility to make the decisions they do, you cant just shit on them willy nilly when they actually put it into practice.

Sadly though, this is an ever increasing trend under this Government.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
How True! and becoming more so all the time!
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

thanks H_N - knew most of that :P

just had not occoured to me that they might be using low velocity rounds!
SP

The line between BS and PC is thin and blurry
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Electrician Jean Charles de Menezes, 27, was shot seven times in the head and once in the shoulder, at Stockwell Tube station, south London, on Friday.
Taken from BBC News.
dalo

Post by dalo »

I still cant beleive the police shot the man from del monte, whats he ever done to us? well he did give us that bits in the orange juice that get stuck in your teeth to be honest lol
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
Artist

Post by Artist »

All I know is that if I was told that a suspected suicide bomber was on the loose I wouldnt mess around checking his bloody ID!

The Cops were following Intel that suggested that the man from Del-Monte was a possible bomber. Just why did the pillock run when they confronted him? The result is as we all know that Brazil has one less Electric engineer than it did have.

I've said it elsewhere but if I was in the shoes of the guy with the Glock I would have done the same thing. Maybe not five shots but the overiding thought in my head would have been "You aint going to blow me up you farking Scumbag!" BANG!

Artist
Last edited by Artist on Tue 26 Jul, 2005 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Farking wrong time to run on his part then! TOUGH TITTIE's!

Guns in the hands of guys on 100% alert tend to go BANG!

Been there got the farking T shirt!

You cannot mess about when your life and your Oppos and civilians lifes are in danger. As I said. I've been there and got the T Shirt.

And Irish less of the jokes on a subject like this OK? How the fark do you think the guy that pulled the trigger feels Hey?

It aint nice but it happens. Such is life.

Artist