Share This Page:

Would you want a sidearm all times in combat?

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Sully

Post by Sully »

I managed to hit 65 out of 60 :o in my basic training APWT LSW shoot, largely thanks to 'Tetley' in the lane next to me having number recognition problems. After that I couldn't hit an elephants arse with a banjo - 'supressing fire' I think its called :wink:
Archie

Post by Archie »

I had an SMG as my sidearm whilst lugging my old Scandinavian pal Charlie G around, does that count?

Re the idea of having a pistol as a backup in case of stoppage, shouldn't we have weapons that do not routinely fail? Come to that which is quicker, doing the IA and sorting your stoppage or fumbling a pistol out of the holster, load, cock it, wait till you can see the whites of their eyes, then miss with damn thing?

Oh yes, and if you had counted your rounds as you fired, you would be less likely to be suprised by the no rounds in the magazine and none in the chamber scenario.

But of course if you had a weapon with a good range and some stopping power e.g. a 7.62 self loading type weapon, the problem should be considerably lessened.

I feel an SA80 versus just about anything on the market discussion coming on.
Archie.

"If there is a better way......find it!" (Thomas Alva Edison)
gash-hand

Post by gash-hand »

when i did my jumps course there were a few old and bold para's knocking around, apparently they routinely jump with a pistol as this is easier to manouver whilst decending from the heavens.

anyone know if this has any truth in it?
Nuisance
Archie

Post by Archie »

That has a whiff of best Para bullshit to me. How much time do you have between checking your chute, dangling your container and then hitting the deck?

For those who don't know, it's about 3 to four seconds on a training jump at 800 feet. On an operational jump you may well be at just 400 feet and have no time whatsoever.
Archie.

gash-hand

Post by gash-hand »

well thats what i thought but you never know.

i could never work out how long it took to descend as by the time i realised that :

A. the chute was open :D
B. i'd just jumped out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft :(
c. and avoided everyone else in the sky thinking the same thing :-?
d. and made sure it was the container i was releasing!!! :o

I was just about ready to cream in big style :lol:
Last edited by gash-hand on Thu 05 Jun, 2003 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuisance
Archie

Post by Archie »

Exactly so GH.

So come on, is there a Para out there who can remember back far enough to when they last did an operational jump? Eee by gum it were a reet long while since tha knows.

Archie stop winding up Paras you bad lad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but I can't help it, it's part of my core (or should that be Corps) programming.
Archie.

voodoo sprout

Post by voodoo sprout »

I've just found this little gem, a report on equipment used in Iraq by the USMC. And on page six is mentions that a lot of US marines were asking for a backup weapons issued as standard, though it has to be said it seems they want these as the M16 series is too big for some situations, a problem not so significant with the SA80.

http://www.sftt.org/PDF/article05122003a.pdf
Last edited by voodoo sprout on Thu 05 Jun, 2003 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fluffy bunnies - Grrrrr!
1812USMarine

Post by 1812USMarine »

I always carried a sidearm during land ops, even when humping an M-60 MG. Not one of these silly little 9mm y'all have now, the M1911A .45, a man's weapon designed to immobilize drug-crazed Huks instantly near 100 years ago. Interestingly, the first time I ever had to "deploy" this particular nasty in anger wasn't in the bush, but rather onboard a docked ship against one of the very people it was designed for. Damn near knocked my teeth out as I was a dumb 17 year old trying to shoot like John Wayne.
US Marine Guard
United States Frigate Constitution
"Old Ironsides" UNDEFEATED
Charlestown Navy Yard
stinkypinky

Post by stinkypinky »

being in both combat situations and peacekeeping,all patrol/section commanders should have a 9mm ,then again the british army has not nearly enough to go around.my unit has around 40 total for a 400 regt,and yes you guessed it they all go to the rodneys who do f**k all but annoy you with stupid requests and orders while they sit drinking pimms and writing your cr.(tossers)
Fm 8 Gns,Gd 235 615 Alt 170,Dn 6400,Inf Coy in Open,High in effect 10 Rds ,AMC 10 Rds FFE.
DelD

Post by DelD »

Voodoo Sprout, who was your earlier post aimed at?
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Stinkpinky. Perhaps you can educate me. what artillery batteries have 8 guns? Any of the batteries I have worked with had 6 guns, but I could be out of date.

Aye - andy.
stinkypinky

Post by stinkypinky »

:lol: andy,you are indeed out of date in wartime a bty has 8 gns,because of this and the new rates of fire a AS90 can acheive it is now Fire Mission No of guns instead of Fire Mission Battery,hope this helps ,but this is only for AS90 regt ,cannot speak for light gun regt's,or launchers(MLRS).In your defense andy in peacetime a bty does have 6 guns but again fire is judjed on No of guns now instead of No of btys.
Fm 8 Gns,Gd 235 615 Alt 170,Dn 6400,Inf Coy in Open,High in effect 10 Rds ,AMC 10 Rds FFE.
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Thanks for that Stinkypinky. My experiences have been with the Commando 105 batteries and they always had six guns. I myself was with the unit mortar troops, therefore worked closley with the battery.

Aye - Andy.
stinkypinky

Post by stinkypinky »

no probs andy ,always good to hear from a fellow long range sniper(sort of with mortars).keep up the good work!!!
P.s BATUS is shit!! but lethbridge is class!
BenChug

Post by BenChug »

Stinkypinky you going to lethbridge in the near future?
If a man has nothing he is willing to die for then he isn't fit to live.