Share This Page:

Anyone In The Navy...?

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
Hallsy

Post by Hallsy »

im just gonna make sure i do every thing i can to make the job even more exciting.

I have a cousin in the navy and he loves it!
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

Reference the Money...The £5000 "Golden Hello"......roughly 3400 after Tax. For 4 years return of service from the day you sign the form! Im not stupid enough to take it. The extra £10 a day Submarine pay I need or I simply could`nt survive. That plus LSSB takes me over the £1000 a month, which I see as enough to have a decent style of life.

For Hallsys cousin....the old saying goes "Pick your Branch, Take your chance" Depends what he does in the Navy, if he`s along side or still in training, probably does enjoy it. Or like I said, Skimmer side, there probably is a chance to have a more exciting time. But 8 months away from the UK at once....pfff stuff that on a big grey thing
skoot

Post by skoot »

What you going in as? I would consider any job in the navy before civvy street. Perhaps I will leave the navy at some point but the navy (or any force) seems the best career for someone my age. Good training, responsibilities, good pay and the travel. When/if I leave I will have done something exciting rather than working in a bloody office every day!
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

Thats what I thought...Good Training/Travel, Responsibility. Well, in my 2 and a half years. Ive seen, Portsmouth, Plymouth and Scotland.....Training, well, told the bare minimum on course to get buy, the rest I had to pick up on the job. Responsibility...well, I dont get paid enough to get them :-)
skoot

Post by skoot »

[quote="SeaCat"]Reference the Money...The £5000 "Golden Hello"......roughly 3400 after Tax. For 4 years return of service from the day you sign the form! Im not stupid enough to take it. The extra £10 a day Submarine pay I need or I simply could`nt survive. That plus LSSB takes me over the £1000 a month, which I see as enough to have a decent style of life.

LSSB? Didn't realise the golden hello was taxed! Thought it was a freebie! Everything sounded brilliant when I went on my POC course, even got to stay on the lovely HMS Bristol! :D I take it you wont be staying on till you get your pensions then?!
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

POC course? HMS Bristol, hmmm never been on one of those. 6th of June 06 mate, my notice is going on
LSSB. Long Serivce at Sea bonus, after spending 18 in the Navy in a Sea going unit you get it. Lowest rate £3 a day. But its going next year(government saving money)
skoot

Post by skoot »

Potential officer candidate course. They sent me to HMS Bristol which is basically a shell that the sea cadets use. Visited Sultan and Collingwood and got some free food and beer! Also got a pint from a commodore! Was a strange old guy but free beer is always welcome. I met a few submariners there who all seemed to love the job and I was sold!
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

I wonder if it was still Commadore Wilcox at Collingwood? I remember him, he hated Submariners....and most people are well away of "PR" stunts and are to butter things up......
Hallsy

Post by Hallsy »

this makes it even worse i am going in as a OM(W)...

My cousin does the same job to.
skoot

Post by skoot »

I am not sure of his name but it was at HMS Bristol I met him. First night there the officers got us rather drunk, I expected to wake up in mid Atlantic on a random ship! :-?
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

They did that to a lad whos on my boat, brought him up to Faslane for a look around, bought him drinks in the Wardroom(even though he will never get into there). and made it seem rather good and cushy....now a couple years down the line, he feels alittle seen off
skoot

Post by skoot »

Have you served on surface ships as well by the way? Which is better? Everyone I have met says whatever they are serving on is best so its hard to get a good idea.
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

Ive never steped foot on a surface ship so I wouldnt have a clue
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

i think its just you that hates the navy mate, ive got family in the navy and they love it, my sister has been in 2 and a bit years and she still loves it.
Think its just the branch that you choose that makes a difference like mentioned.
Well i quit the marines btw, thought i was too young, and i just didnt want to do it, so im gonna join the navy and 'maybe' transfer later on when im older..
still deciding on a branch tho, was thinking, NA/aircraft handler, AEM, or maybe NA/survival equipment. Any recommendations?
beardo

Post by beardo »

Sad to hear that mate...

What was it that finally made you ditch it? And what week were you in?