Share This Page:

Current affairs

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
skoot

Current affairs

Post by skoot »

Just wondering what papers/magazines I should be reading for the AIB. I have been buying The Week for a few months, will this do or should I be reading more? I also read Warships IFR monthly to keep up to date with naval news.

Also read somewhere that there is a general knowledge test at AIB that covers things such as the classics?! is this true? I know nothing at all about classics!! :(
DeepBlue

Current Affairs

Post by DeepBlue »

Skoot,

Nobody will ask you about classics at the AIB. As far as current affairs go, a nodding acquaintance with the big issuesof the day will be enough as long as you show a degree of understanding.

I recommend that you read a broadsheet (Telegraph. Time, Indie, Guardian) and if you have time a weekly such as the Spectator or New Statesman. You aren't being interviewed for a job as a foreign correspondent but you just need to show an element of understanding of the complex world in which yoiu will have to operate.

The AIB are mostly interested in your potential not what you know. Far better to demonstrate a thirst for knowledge and an interest in the world about you.

DB
ramz56

Post by ramz56 »

jus make sure your knowledge of current affairs is right up to date and you have formulated your opionions in a way that is easy for you to get across to other people, do this and you should be fine

ramz
"per mere per terram" "esprit de corps"
Aptitude tests-PASSED
Medical-PASSED
Interview-PASSED
PJFT-PASSED (7.26)
Dickie

Post by Dickie »

While I was doing my initial interviews I found that the following link:

http://news.google.co.uk/news?edit=0&t=1163788143

To be a very good source of info. In case my settings haven't been saved in the link, you can customise the layout to show you all stories containing "Royal" and "Navy" for instance, as well as the top UK and World stories. It provides links to several sources for each story, so it helps to form a better understanding of whats going on.

I found it very useful - and it's free!

Dickie
sophiebutty

Post by sophiebutty »

The Economist. Pure and simple. I bought 2 copies before mine and used 2 articles for the essay I wrote. The analysis is excellent and the articles are concise and therefore quite easy to remember.

The BBC News Special reports:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/default.stm

are also very useful.

Soph