Share This Page:

RMR Fitness

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
beardo

RMR Fitness

Post by beardo »

What are the tests like for the RMR? is it as hard as the normal commando course

I only ask becuase when I was on the RM Aquaint day we had 2 ;ads from the RMR

One of them looked fit but the other one couldnt do anything that well...on the demonstration for te pressups etc he was struggling after 5 and could only do 2 pullups. Then, on the 3 mile run, he kept telling us to walk so he could have a breather
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Physical standard to be achieved by the RMR are the same as RM. The difference is that RMR lads will have to make time to sort out a lot of there physical training and will have to be very much focused on achieving the levels required, while often holding down a full time job, looking after his family and still maintaining all standards required of a RM.

Earning the Green Beret requires a reservist to pass all the same tests (Bottom Field, 9 miler, 12 mile load carry, endurance course, Tarzan Assault course, 30 miler and the Test Exercise) Within a nine day course period (if he passes everything first time) and within twelve days if he has any reruns of anything. 8)
Chaos, Disorder, Destruction.....My work here is done!

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
beardo

Post by beardo »

strange that that lad seemed so unfit then?
Bliartheliar

Post by Bliartheliar »

During that 3 mile run I thought that he was supposed to stop every now and then to give us a rest. I thought the emphasis was on the individual 1.5mile run.
beardo

Post by beardo »

Maybe, but I doubt that will happen on the PRMC
Jim

Post by Jim »

One of them looked fit but the other one couldnt do anything that well...on the demonstration for te pressups etc he was struggling after 5 and could only do 2 pullups. Then, on the 3 mile run, he kept telling us to walk so he could have a breather
I don't know about all that but when I was with Chatham Holding Troop they weren't happy unless you could do more than 50 odd press ups, 85 sit-ups, and 10 pull-ups. And for the 1.5 mile between 9 and 10 mines was good. I'm not sure what was up with the lab above. Maybe having a bad day?? :-?
Maybe, but I doubt that will happen on the PRMC
From what I've heard the first 1.5 mile is nice and gentle to teach you the course, then the final 1.5 mile is all out effort!
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Why are people questioning a lads bad performance. :-?

After all, he did the performance on an 'RM Aquaint day'. So he turned up unprepared, unfit, with a cold, just back from an injury...... No body expects superman to turn up and complete the Commando tests on his look at life day.

While anyone joining the RM through the AFCO gets a basic assessment, gets info on getting fit for PRMC and advancing on to the 32 weeks. RMR Potential's do not get that sort of bonus to help them. Some have as little as a month to get fit for the RMR PRC (Potential Recruit Course) with only an idea of what fitness to acheive, a quick lecture on what to do and leaflets on how to do it. Not exactly a wealth of information.

If an RMR Pptential Recruit is not up to standard, they will be assessed as to how close they are to a basic standard. They don't have the option of coming back in 3 months like the PRMC as some RMR units only recruit twice a year (some only once a year). Some may join holding troops and get fit in preperation for there RMR PRC.

While he might not have been fit on that day, he will have had his eyes opened or even a big wake up call. It's up to him to decide how much he wants it. And I know there are lads who have turned up for the regular PRMC and failed just as badily. 8)

But please don't assume he hasn't got what it takes to get there, as he may not have demonstrated what he can do or how much he wants it yet. 8)
Chaos, Disorder, Destruction.....My work here is done!

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I agree. First time I was at Holding troop some of my phys wasn't up to scratch. But you find out what you need to do to get there. And then it's up to you how badly you want that green lid. :)
Nade

Post by Nade »

I read in a book that the recruit in the RMR has to be that little bit better than a regular recruit as he is exspected to do most thigns on his own. Learn the lectures that are taught and progress in physical standards in his own time. When I went to join RMR I had a week!! before selection weekend ( I passed it though). I went to a last minute presentation day and sat medical on selection weekend. The reason for this is bcoz they only do one recruitment a year in scotland and wanted to get people on the selection course (i think anyway). On saturday we did bleeptest, press-ups (we were told we needed to get 30 +), sit-ups, pull-ups (im sure the PTI just kept on going with them up to a max of eighteen). Then on sunday we ran from HQ to swimming pool to do swimming tests , then ran to park, did a wamr-ups then the 1.5mile group run. This was followed by 1.5mile best effort. Once everyone completed this there was a beasting session which lasted for ages (sprints, circuits, loads of running up and down hills etc..). This lasted for ages ( I must repeat that), I dont know what bottom field is like in CTC but im sure the beasting session replicated the physical efforts and more. It was somthing like 4 hours of constant moving. Then once beasting session was over we had to run all the way back to HQ. So that adds up to laods of running, much more than 3 mile that people are told to do. I found it very hard and muscles had cramp in them and everything, I couldnt walk for a week! Anyway from what I saw the people that got in were either very fit or very determind and out of 45 on selection day only 4 got green berets in the end. This shows how tough it is to get one in teh reserves. Anyway thats plently of typing for on post :P hope that show they arnt unfit like you thought.

Nade

p.s. Pretty much all weekends are out in the field aswell, and being scotland it is very cold and clothes normally become hard over night and have to bash them off trees to get them on in the morning. just thought it would be worth adding that in aswell heh
rabby

Post by rabby »

Nade when did you join, and when did you leave? I'm still slogging it out there, seems like a lifetime!!
There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Nade

Post by Nade »

I joined when I was 17 which was 3 years ago now. So in 2002 I joined and left in 2003 just before the 2 week phase1A because I couldnt get time off university. My twin brother stayed on and got his green beret though. I was at Aberdeen Uni and went down to Dundee Detachment. Im now back in Edinburgh at Edin Uni now, as Aberdeen was pretty rubbish to be honest. if Uni goes well this year then I should be looking at going to join full-timers this summer. Need to wait and see how exams go just incase I have to resit 3rd year (should be fine though).

How about you?

Nade
rabby

Post by rabby »

I joined in August 2003, just starting 1B training again now. I'm at Strathclyde uni, I didn't ask, I told them I was going away for 2 weeks for my 1A course and they said since I had no exams or anything during that period there was no problem.
Nade

Post by Nade »

Did you know a guy called Recruit Kerr, Australian? he was in with your lot this time around. But left on 2 week 1A course?
Hope it all goes well for ya

Nade
rabby

Post by rabby »

Don't know him, I didn't do 1A training this year, did it last year, and yeah there isn't a lot of this time round for 1B, only 6! Last year there was around 14 I think that started 1B. :o
Nade

Post by Nade »

Let me know how many are in there this year. I think you might have a surprise of how many people are there this year......... not many at all from what iv been hearing!!

Nade