Share This Page:

Pilot selection

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
Senbei

Pilot selection

Post by Senbei »

To become a pilot in the armed forces are there any special tests i have to undertake. Also i have very slight arthritis in my left knee, would this affect my application, as it doesn't affect my life in any way shape or form.
Thanks
Rockape

Post by Rockape »

All would-be pilots for any of the services attend the Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre at RAF Cranwell.

The whole process differs depending on whether the person attending is a civilian wishing to join one of the services as aircrew, or is a serviceman applying for aircrew training.

However, the main testing for everyone comprises computer-based tests on mental arithmatic, time/distance/speed calculation, spatial awareness, hand-eye co-ordination, mental reasoning and memory retention. This list is not exhaustive by the way.

The computer-based testing lasts the best part of a day, and puts a lot of mental pressure on an individual throughout the whole process.

Rockape

P.S. If you have a recorded medical history of Arthritis, then I wouldn't hold out too much hope of becoming military aircrew. The medical standards are extremely high, however you should be able to get advice from your local AFCO or OASC concerning your medical situation.
Last edited by Rockape on Mon 12 Apr, 2004 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senbei

Post by Senbei »

Yes, they cut my knee open to clean it out and then noticed it then. They say it's the slightest form and isn't going to get any worse. They also said that loads of people have it and it goes undetected like mine did :cry:
Senbei

Post by Senbei »

Do they check all your medical records, ie the ones from the hospital as i've been going since i was a day old, or just your GPs' ones?
rawli

Post by rawli »

its just gp as far as i know however your referal to the hospital will be on your gp records and they might want to drag up hospital records if they think there is a problem. Check with the AFCO just to be sure. The military don't want to fork out millions on people that they know might become ill or who have a problem already. Sorry to be brutal but if you go for selection it will be just the same. The AFCO should be able to tell you more though.
Eat pie and fly - That's the multi-engined way
Senbei

Post by Senbei »

i was never refered so....