Share This Page:

Special Boat Service New Cap Badge

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
rabby

Post by rabby »

At CTC I noticed quite a few of the new badges about, In fact when I first got there I was (whispering) "Guys, 3 'o' clock, SBS, check out the cap badge". Then when we realised that they don't actually look like God then I nevered bothered looking anymore. :lol:
There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Sneaky, I suppose if the government has been taking more notice of the SAS for some reason and giving them the larger portion of operations or something then the change to get the SBS noticed might be a necessity to keep the lad's at pool from sinking under (no pun intended, well a bit). It's sad to lose the tradition but if it's stopping them from becoming another sabre squadron then I guess it's a nessisary evil. Still a pity though.
"This far and no further" - Britain, World War 1 & 2

Post by Guest »

Yeah its a shame, I dont think any of us likes change for change's sake, a hallmark of this Labour government it seems.
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

bootneck - I don't think it will put people off wanting to become SC Ratings but I think it might stop a lot of people in the Corps as a whole from encouraging people to put there names forward.

rabby - Where on earth did you see those cap badges at CTC. I've been into Poole a couple of times recently and I haven't even seen one there!

aldo - You have got the gist of the reason for the changes They do have some logic in that they did need a higher profile. I just wish that they wouldn't give the impression that they were trying to distance themselves from the Corps.
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
rabby

Post by rabby »

Sneaky, mostly walking in and out of the building with all the lecture rooms and learning suites (can't remember what it is called :-? ). You can spot it a mile off, whereas the Globe and Laurel sort of 'blend in' to the beret at a distance, the black and blue sticks out and you know they're coming! :wink:
There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
bootneck

Post by bootneck »

I suppose CTC being the training establishment, they`d be promoting the branch trying to hook new rectruits into joining asap. I know Duncan Falkner joined the branch straight from training, did you ever meet the Guy Sneaky? and did he do as well as he said in his book.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Falconer was just a test case to see if raw marine recruits could hack it, at least that's what he says in his book. He was the only one to make it except for a few others who ended up leaving (I'm remembering this from reading his book a while ago so I might be wrong) anyway the SBS decided it was best to have the recruits do the minimum time in the corp before they try for selection, I don't think it's changed.

Sneaky, yeah since the corp is the main (only?) pool of recruits for the SBS it does seem a little strange that they would distance themselves even a little. One explanation might be that they've not had enough recruits from royal so are trying to make it more appealing to other services, thats if the rumours of them recruiting from other branches are true. Did anyone at poole mention anything about that?
"This far and no further" - Britain, World War 1 & 2
andy_s

Post by andy_s »

If you go on the army website then look for the SF reserve forces site you can sign up for SBS reserve aswell, i found this odd being the army site, but i believe shows the 'truth' on the matter ie all SF is under one roof. You also need military experiance for swimmer canoiest but not SAS-anyone know why?
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

If you go on the army website then look for the SF reserve forces site you can sign up for SBS reserve aswell
SB reserve only take Commando trained personnel at the momment (to include's TA Cdo engineer's as of autum 2004, this year)

As of next year sometime, SB reserve will be open to all reservist unit's
Chaos, Disorder, Destruction.....My work here is done!

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
neil1955

Post by neil1955 »

Andy -s
swimmer canoiest is a navy qualification, the army does not ask for what its soldiers cannot obtain.
All S F now come under director special forces an army brigadeer be assured he knows who is good at what and cuts his cloth accordingly.
It may not be to long before a RM brig gets the job but there are not to many to choose from so don,t hold your breath. 3 commando bat,s = 1 brigadeer,thats why there are less SBS than SAS its not rocket science.
:drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
The Brecon Becons still stand Pen-y Fan is still a pain it makes no differance jnr, snr, selection, it stays with you ............
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

Yeah, I new "Duncan Faulkner" (not his real name, of course.) I believe I was Training NCO when he did his course back in the late 70's. And yes he was a good guy. I'm not sure he was as good as his book says but you have to remember that all these books have to be "embellished" to sell. He didn't do himself any favours with SB Squadron, who were against publication and I think he is now out of favour. We haven't seen him at any reunions for a few years.
The Corps is still the main source of recruits to the SBS although there are a couple of Army and Navy guys around. According to the "Padre" 99.9% are still from the Royal Marines, which makes it all the more confusing as to why they have made all the changes.
Just as a footnote, I think a RM Brigadier has already held the post of Dir. SF, although I am not absolutely certain.
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
neil1955

Post by neil1955 »

Just goes to show the post is achieved on merit not the old palls act .
:drinking:
The Brecon Becons still stand Pen-y Fan is still a pain it makes no differance jnr, snr, selection, it stays with you ............
cambridgebloke

Special Boat Service New Cap Badge/ex paras

Post by cambridgebloke »

A number of ex-soldiers, including a former Parachute Regiment captain, are now members of the SBS and wear their old cap badge on the green beret.

And how does anyone feel about this? :-?
neil1955

Post by neil1955 »

Sticky Blue
During op Corprate the liason officer for Para and RM was one of the few who have done all three para, marine, sas ,courses he was co of 23 in the late 80,s, known to the troops as Hector the corrector, although military protocol in the regiment is different to the rest of the green machine no one questioned him . No gucchi sunglasses when he was about.
:drinking: :drinking: