Share This Page:

Jackspeak : The Pusser´s Rum Guide to Royal Navy Slang

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
Archie

Jackspeak : The Pusser´s Rum Guide to Royal Navy Slang

Post by Archie »

I read this years ago and it was a great read, loads of expressions I'd never heard, some I'd rather forget, many with detailed explanations about their history.
It would have been a great resource as a sprog to know what some of the old hands were actually talking about.
There is an updated version out now, here's the publishers blurb

"A complete dictionary of Royal Navy slang, giving the meaning of the words (often you just don't want to know !) and their often surprising and always interesting origins. A highly entertaining book. PB. 336pp.

Price: € 15.31 each

Author : Jolly & Tugg
ISBN : 951430521
Publisher : Maritime Books
Edition Date : Dec. 2000
"
Archie.

"If there is a better way......find it!" (Thomas Alva Edison)
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

"The Bum Bosun on board worked for the Jimmy, kept his kit gleaming, and did all his dhoby. The Gen Buzz was, ........ 'Good morning Sir!' looking a trifle peaky this fine day, One over the eight last night?'"
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Archie

This is one of my favourite books. If I'm feeling down I dig it out. Within five minutes I'll let out a chuckle; five minutes later my sides can be aching. OK, that's just the missus poking me with a broom handle telling me to stop acting the fool. But it's a great read nonethless. :lol:
Archie

Post by Archie »

You're both dead right, my copy is falling apart, literally where it's been through so many hands. I used to keep it in the bathroom, but folk would go to the loo and be gone for hours, eventualy emerging with a numb bum and walking like John Wayne.
Archie.

"If there is a better way......find it!" (Thomas Alva Edison)
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Ahoy there!
My copy is signed by the great Rick Jolly himself who is frequently on the telly. I use it to educate my daughter and she is rapidly getting used to some of the terminology.
At the age of five she can explain the framework of hospitality (snifter, wet, sippers, gulpers sandies etc). Damn right too!
PHIL

Recommended books

Post by PHIL »

Hi there Archie (i am not jack yet so i can't say "ahoy!")

I've ordered my copy of Jolly & Tuggs "Jack Speak"
i am new you see :wink:
Can't wait to insult my grease monkey work mates! :bad-words:

with stuff like "P*ss off you rear admiral!" and "get me a Grog wench!"

Thanks

phil 8)
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

£9.95 from the RM Museum. Just got mine and it is getting a thrashing. I thought I knew most pussers speak but I am not even a beginer!
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]