Share This Page:

The Millies

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
Rogue Chef

The Millies

Post by Rogue Chef »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 049098.ece

One word, 'Awesome!'

If anyone doubts that HM Armed Forces are the jewel in the crown of this country, this should set them straight.
HCR

Post by HCR »

My only problem with this was giving out awards for best Soldier, best Marine. Most courageous act etc etc. How on earth can anyone decide that this person is the best Soldier, this person is the best Sailor, this person is the best Marine this person is the most brave. I don't agree in that. Its turning the very serious occupation of serving into something like the TV Soap awards or the comedy awards.
But anything that gives credit and appreciation to our Armed Forces can only be a good thing
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Chuck him out, the brute!'
But it's 'Saviour of 'is country' when the guns begin to shoot; (Rudyard Kipling)
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Sounds fcuking websters to me.

Glad i missed it.

An award for best soldier? Its your job, not some charity you have raised millions for.

Recognition of the sacrifice and tough work that the armed forces are doing overseas is one thing, and im glad that the public is finally coming on side. But this is so patronising. If a soldier deserves recognition for his/her actions its done so by awarding them with a medal for bravery or MiD.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
HCR

Post by HCR »

Precisely Paratrooper01. Couldn't of put it better myself. And we will see if the Sun and all the Celebes are still interested in 10years time when we are still in Afghanistan. They even had an award for best recruit in a training depot. For f*ck sake. Giving an award to a DS Watcher.
And I know the public support us, and they take no notice of what the Fascist left wing press tell us what we should be thinking.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Chuck him out, the brute!'
But it's 'Saviour of 'is country' when the guns begin to shoot; (Rudyard Kipling)
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

I agree with your sentiments, but I think you're missing the point.

If someone gets a bravery award through the usual channels, most recipients will usually declare that they are receiving it on behalf of the other lads who weren't cited. The system is flawed, not everyone who deserves an award gets something.

This programme is similarly flawed, so what. It took what our Forces are doing right into 9 million living rooms. We know some of it was patronising nonsense, but if it was that bad perhaps Ben Parkinson, Mark Ormrod and the others should have displayed better judgement and boycotted it.
Last edited by Rogue Chef on Sat 20 Dec, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
druadan

Post by druadan »

It is a flawed concept, and must admit I found some of it downright cringe-worthy, but as noted above anything that opens the military up a little more to the public can only be a good thing. In the States and Canada there are all manner of parades and TV shows, and public appreciation of the forces is widespread. Whilst I did think this show was a little too 'American', it's not a bad idea.

They also recognised those working in support of the Forces, particularly charities, which is without reservation a good thing - increasing the awareness of such charities can only help those who benefit from them.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

I just wonder if there wasn't some way it could have been done without picking out individual names.
I agree that it's a good idea to show the public more of what our Armed Forces do and go through, but how can you say that one individual is better than another within a Regiment, Squadron or whatever unit?

Still, it makes the Sun readers happy, and if it gets their hands in their pockets for service charities I for one won't be complaining too much...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours