Share This Page:

The jungle is neutral

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
jonboy

The jungle is neutral

Post by jonboy »

This is quite an old book, but all i am gonna say is this is a must read, a unbeleiveable story of survival in such a hostile environment, written by a remarkable man F Spencer Chapman.
alright
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Ahoy there!
I have my own copy. I first read it in the mid 1970s before I joined up. It was also compulsory reading for the Jungle Warfare Instructors course at TTB.
Excellent!
Artist

Post by Artist »

A little known fact about Spencer Chapman was that he topped himself a couple of years after writing the book. Which, I think is one of the best reads going. Still got my copy, me old man was in the Malayan scouts in the 50's (Strange but true, Dad was RAF) and I inherited the book when he died. Used to read it when he was based at RAf Khangi. I was only about 9 years old but got the history bug from this book. Me and dad used to visit the places Chapman mentions in the book. Used to send shivers through me. (still does)

Aye Artist
jonboy

Post by jonboy »

Artist, what were the reasons behind Spencer Chapman toping himself? When I read that it really shocked me and made be feel slightly down. When reading the book he was the type of man to look at things with hope and never give in through his Great will power, I think towards the end of the book he even described the world as a beutiful place and counted himself lucky to be here. 1 example for his positive attidude was that when on his journeys he used to collect certain flowers of the jungle and put them in a book press, + make notes of the wildlife around and try to larn them. Things like that is impressive when all the time he was in a very dangerous place doing very dangerous work and fighting off illness from time to time.
Was it PTSD that claimed his life at the end?
Artist, Chapman speaks of some beuitiful sights on his travels, It must of been very intresting to visit his old haunts he mentions. Did you take any photographs? If you did is it possible to scan them onto the sight?
alright
Bigwig

Post by Bigwig »

I have read the book to and it was unxpectedly excellent :P .

I have not read that many military books but I doubt there is 1 that compares to this mans story.
Maybe the old man of the treck can be my commissionaire
caissa

Post by caissa »

This was one of the books that we were given at school to read for CSE English literature. 23 years on, I still remember it as a fantastic and scary read.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Jonboy

I have no idea why he topped himself. Maybe after what he had gone through the return to normal was to much for him.

Unfortunatley no photos taken by the old man survive. If they do me Mother can't find them.

It is crystal clear in my mind though. The background hum of the jungle and the secondary growth I will never forget. It made you realise just how lonely Old Chapman must have been at times. My most abiding memory was staying in a Kampong with an old Chinese friend of Dads for about ten days. it was right out in the middle of nowhere. Yours truely loved every minute of it.

Why not post a thread asking if any of the Singers ratings have any photos of Malaya. It doesnt hurt to ask does it.

When I went back to Singers whilst serving I just didnt regonise the place as it was when I was a kiddy. This was about 75/76 Britain had pulled out and the Ozzys and Kiwis were there then. Was only there a couple of days.

Aye Artist
Dave_Billing

Topping

Post by Dave_Billing »

I don't know if this Spencer Chapman was a military man or not but I know that the US military are running scared right now because within 2 weeks of returning home from Iraq (or maybe Afghanistan) 3 of their special forces killed their wives. It looks like returning from that type of intense warfare is a lot harder than we all suspect. It must be some kind of PTSD. I think they said that returning SF will not go straight back home when they return from combat any more.

Seeing as my son plans to become a Bootneck it's a little disturbing for me.

See, I said elsewhere I get fed too much US news :-?
...Dave...
Artist

Post by Artist »

Dave

My Missis is still around. I reckon sometimes she would like to top me mind!

Your son will be alright, Bootnecks have a bloody good backup system it's called other Bootnecks.

Aye Artist
BenChug

Re: Topping

Post by BenChug »

Dave_Billing wrote:right now because within 2 weeks of returning home from Iraq (or maybe Afghanistan) 3 of their special forces killed their wives. It looks like returning from that type of intense warfare is a lot harder than we all suspect.
Dave, the blokes who killed their wives were from the 10th Mountain Division. Of the the murders it was believed that one of them was just a rage killing, and the other 2 fellahs had both been involved in hand to hand combat in Afghanistan, if that doesn't mess you up I don't know what will.
If a man has nothing he is willing to die for then he isn't fit to live.