Share This Page:

Ghost force

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
jonboy

Ghost force

Post by jonboy »

If u have not read any previous SAS books dont read this, as it cocentrates less on the actual first hand action and more on the history of the SAS. Stll a very imformative book with some good stories being told but more statistiacl then other books i have read + there is no humour in it. The author ends the book RIP SAS, which i thought was a bit harsh, as i feel they are still needed now more than ever!
alright
Archie

Post by Archie »

Although I have not read this book I think it highly likely the authors comment of RIP SAS is as a result of the high profile now given to them. Sadly SB and others may well go the same way to the detriment of the fine people serving in them. It is what inevitably happens when politicians get the sniff of a photo opportunity. So, do you keep our people safe to do their tasks in a professional way, or do you get your photo on Newsnight as the tough MP who "sent in the SAS", no contest really, what's a few soldiers lives, they probably voted Tory anyway.

God I hate politicians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jonboy

Post by jonboy »

Archie u are right in thinking the final words of the author in the book are due to the high profile and media attention they now receive, but does this really effect the performance of the SAS? and yes i agree most politicains are tosspots but i think tony blair is alright, having to argue is case over and over, and answer stupid questions over and over without loseing his cool, + knowing all the facts wether military or econmically etc is a hard job.
alright
Archie

Post by Archie »

I believe the high profile now associated with special forces in general does them no good at all. At one time people were attracted to SB, SAS and the like because it was the right thing for them. The majority of SF I worked with were quiet, diligent, intelligent people. Making SF "glamorous" may well attract the wrong type of person into their ranks, the glory seekers, the potential novelists and the like.

It is very important to keep our SF out of the limelight, it helps to protect them and their families and thereby allows them more freedom of operation without the glare of publicity dogging their every move.

To give a good military type analogy, who strikes more fear into you, Paddy standing centre stage wearing the Irish national costume of a balaclava and 9mm Browning, or his clandestine colleague in a hide across the border with a 50cal. Barrett?

Post by Guest »

i picked this up for 50p at a car boot as i do all my books and didnt think it was a bad read so to say dont bother with it is a bit hard jon

Post by Guest »

Lets face it you need a bit of glamour to get the book off the ground. As an ex bootie i came across quite a few SF members and they were a mixed bunch as in any enviroment. How many non service people read Bravo Two Zero and thought what an amazing team of men they were. The fact is most serving or ex military would know that Macnab and Ryan both stretched the truth and the film was just madefor John Wayne types. Thats why im glad they published Bravo Two Zero The True Story it puts it in a better light wouldnt you agree
jonboy

Post by jonboy »

Yes Terry I think your right in saying i was a bit harsh at the begining of my book review, there are some good bits to it as you progress though it. Is that true about Bravo.2.0, they lied to make it more exciting? Surley they would not need to even if they haden't had these skirmishes, as the tale of endurance is good enough. Well i have not read the real story of it, but I think any lying to try to impress is fu*king sh*t, shall i throw my version of bravo.2.0 (the first 1) away or what? and do they do book writeing training exercises in the SAS after selection?
alright
dan

Post by dan »

Brave Two Zero is not a lie, more an 'imaginative re-telling'. It did actually happen, men did really die and two of the guys involved went on to write stories. However, it is generally accepted that both Ryan and McNabb stretched the truth to attach more glory to themselves and hide the glaringly obvious mistakes they made. It's been suggested they created their rivalry as a way of convincing readers that the facts both agree on must be true. Either way, don't throw away the book. Truth or not, it's a bloody good read!
Aye, DAN